2nd Gen Most liked posts in thread: Koni FSD's

1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Not bad but for $700 more you can get Collin's. I know thats more money but you will have them a long time.

https://www.greeneperformance.com/collections/mini-oem-performance-parts/products/bc-racing-coilovers-with-swift-springs-and-custom-revalve

My R53 has that setup and it has been great! I bought the car when it was 2 years old and they were already on it. You cant go wrong with that setup. My R58 has Collin's setup on it, Mark had them put on, he did a great job modding the Helmet. I have to say I really like them. If you can stretch the budget I would go with Green performance. If you don't have one yet make sure and get a good swaybar.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    I don’t have experience with Collin’s but I hear they are very good.. and setup for the MINI. That said, on both my Corrado’s and the 88M5 I have Koni’s. They were (are) great. Loved them especially compared to bilstiens etc.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Oh I went down the page and saw the FSD. I thought you were talking about the top one.
    Never mind:oops:

4. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    #10 Qik, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Koni Yellows aren't bad nor out of the question, but I like what I've read about the FSD's.
    I'm getting odd tire wear on my recent set of Comp 2's. I went in to the tire shop and axed to get my tires re-balanced due to vibration at speed. Prolly shoulda been done a month or so ago.. Before they even balance them they're telling me my tires are cupping and it's due to my struts being shot, (which I still doubt) and that they're the reason my tires are cupping because my tire is bouncing down on road after a bump. My tires do not bounce after I hit a bump, I feel every crack on the road in this car and you're telling me my wheels are bouncing and causing odd wear on my tires? Almost believable as bad struts can cause cupping, but I argued my struts are fine and that I replaced them at about 65-70k (now at 97k). He said well feel up here, he points to the base of the strut piston, and he rubbed his finger and showed me a dirty finger. I saw no oil what so ever, just some dust from where he had rubbed his finger. I felt up there, didn't feel any oil. They're not leaking, BUT I still want to change them after I throw on some new tires. I said, please just check the balance and once he checked they were all WAY out of balance since they're worn down close to the wear marks. He re-balanced them. After some research today I found that out of balance tires CAN cause cupping. Hashtag new tire shop please.

These, with my existing OE springs- https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Koni&model=FSD+Damper+Set&group=FSD+Damper+Set&partNum=2100-4099&autoMake=MINI&autoModel=Hardtop&autoYear=2012&autoModClar=Cooper+S

5. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Here is where I've taken all my cars.. for a long time. They do on car balancing. They do deal with racers. It has changed hands but the original owners still come in (Jeff primarily) and he does the alignments etc and knows his stuff. Taking the GP2 there Monday to have it lifted back up to proper street driving height. That said I think they maybe north of where you are.. http://www.granturismoeast.com/

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Alignment can also cause odd wear & cupping. If I could lay my hands on your tires I'd have a better idea. How often do you rotate your tires? Is it the front or rear that are showing you the cupping?

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Yea at least 5K on the rotation. I rotate mine with oil changes at 3k. Minis are hard on wheels.

8. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Struts? No. Why you always riding me man?! Jk. You'll be the first to know. Well, MA will be the first to know :) I'm supposed to have been stashing cash for them. I just bought an intake that I really didn't need, but am happy with the extra noise from a bigger filter.

9. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    I also have a nice set of spring compressors that I picked up from BavAuto.com -Good place for MINI stuff. We can use your tools though when the time comes. One thing I don't have is a garage. It's a universal intake, K&N Orion. It's just an upgraded version of what I already had.

10. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Sounds good.. let me know on timing.. still working on cleaning up after the fire and have my boys RZR in there doing a conversion to fuel injection from carbs.. I’m waiting on some parts so can roll it into the shed.. which I’m going to do anyway to finish cleaning garage and so I can park the GP in there.... next to Humpty Dumpty :(

11. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @Qik - also let me know if you need help putting whatever you choose on. Would be great to do a full article on the installation and maybe even some handlling test etc. Also, I maybe able to help get a discount if you are interested in using ones that our sponsors provide... not sure on that but can try.

12. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    @Sully I'm down. I have all the tools we'd need, and shouldn't take more than an hour or so. If you've got a good sport for handling tests that'd be great! Once I pull the trigger we'll make it happen.

13. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Thanks MCS02, gotta pass. That said, I am considering his Swift springs. Not a coil over fan and am very happy with how the car feels in stock form. It's very forgiving and I don't want in any more firm/flat in the corners. She's my DD so no real reason to change anything. The most she get's to flex her cornering muscle is at MOTD once a year and the occasional track day which those been very few and far between. Otherwise all hwy and city driving.

14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    R53 is my daly driver too. is this what your getting?

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Koni&model=Sport+Damper+Set+%26+Eibach+Springs&group=Sport+Damper+Set+%26+Eibach+Springs&partNum=1145-1042&autoMake=MINI&autoModel=Hardtop&autoYear=2012&autoModClar=Cooper+S

Those are not FSD those are the 3 way adjustable(yellows) Koni. It is exactly what I have on the R53. The ride will be stiffer. I run the Konis on full soft for every day use and adjust them for autocross and the Dragon (rear stiff front medium). I ran them for a long time before I added adjustable camber plates and rear adjustable trading arms. Now that I added those my tire wear is much better.

15. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Good deal - we can figure something out.:)

16. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    I have it aligned once or twice a year depending on how she feels. I rotate them every 10k, though I've recently been told to do it every 5 which I will start doing. There is cupping on all 4 corners, leading me to believe it's due to being out of balance.

17. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @Qik - did you ever order your shocks?

18. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    LOL.. if you need any tools, I have spring compressors and pretty much everything else to change them (I think).. Also, what intake did you buy?