Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Koni yellow settings

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by ScottinBend, Feb 16, 2015.

1. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    So I am stepping up to the yellows and was wondering what you would suggest for the initial settings.

It is my daily driver and it does get driven. I have the TSW V1 springs and a 22mm rsb.

2. cristo

cristo Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Male
    physician
    York, Pa
    Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -1
    #2 cristo, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    Here's my 2 cents worth.

I just got a set but haven't put them on yet.
    I have had a chance to check them out a little off the car, though,
    mostly by pushing them down and timing how long it takes for them to
    re-expand (adjustment pretty much only varies rebound, not compression).
    Because of this, it probably makes sense to think about setting the rebound
    to match the spring rate more so than using it to vary the firmness to your liking.

There's about 2.5 turns from full soft to full hard.
    Full soft took about 10 seconds to rebound on all 4, and nothing changes in the first
    1/2 to 1 full turn from there. They don't all start increasing rebound at exactly
    the same setting, this seems to vary from one shock to the next a bit ("quality control").
    From there on out I noticed that rebound gets stiffer progressively until the shock
    doesn't rebound at all by the gas pressure unless you pull on the shaft . This happens
    near full-hard, which is not a recommended setting for anyone.

I decided to set them all so they rebound at about 14 seconds rather than the
    10 second full soft setting. I also pulled and pushed on the shaft to make sure the
    rebound settings seemed about equal and not varied by possibly unequal gas charges.
    I don't have access to a shock dyno, so this is as good as it gets for me. This way,
    they are matched to each other reasonably well. I have stock springs. If your springs
    are much stiffer than stock, then a little higher rebound setting would probably be right
    as a starting point. One of the shocks is at about 3/4 turn from full soft, two are 1 turn,
    and the other is 1 1/3 from full soft.
    Your results will vary.

3. Canusrufis

Canusrufis RMW Powered R53
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    I've had my koni yellows for nearly a year. I run them 1/2 turn off full soft (PITA experimenting with the rear --- unless you mod the interior fender well to gain access). If I ran them anymore it was way too stiff for a daily driver. I'm running swift type r springs so not certain the difference in set up comparatively.

I went from stock struts/springs --> stock struts + Swift spring --> Koni Yellows + Swift Springs. The difference in ride was incredible! Car hugs the road. I wouldn't change a thing.

Should go well with you IE camber plates too. good luck.

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Thanks guys. Looks like about a turn from soft is where to start.

I love the advice cristo, will definitely give that a try.

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I've hade my yellows for 11 years. I have tried lots of settings. The rears are a pain but I run them full soft both front and soft. If I'm going to do a auto X or going to the dragon then I stiffen them up.