That's pretty frickin schweet.

2. R50 Paul

R50 Paul New Member

May 5, 2009
    Covina, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I love the way that looks!

3. is it like a paint that simply just runs down the car? or is his uniquely making each running of paint himself? and how are the people inside the car supose to roll down the windows without ruining the design? :confused5:

4. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    One guy, a case of beer, a tall ladder and a can of paint could get the same result with twice the lack of finesse and win 10 G's on Funniest Home Videos. Sorry, I don't get it, looks like a bad day at the construction site. And how are you supposed to see out the windows?

5. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ↑ I was thinking the same thing. *edit*

Maybe the MINI is doomed to be a museum piece forever.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Reminds me of something I made fun of in college. One art student did something he called "pour painting." Lay a large canvas across four different height chairs, boxes, whatever, then stand next to the edge at the highest elevation with a can of paint and pour/drizzle the paint, letting it run down along the canvas. Let the paint dry. Move the chairs/boxes around so the angle is different and repeat the pouring thing with a different color paint. Repeat until it's art. :prrr: As stupid as that was, this seems even less creative.

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Art is in the eye of the beholder............ And some art sucks!

8. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Actually, you'd be surprised how hard it is to achieve the quality of drip that krink does with paint. I work within the graffiti medium as an artist and I've found that getting the perfect balance of paint and medium to achieve those drips without over thinning the paint is quite difficult.

This car isn't mean to be an everyday daily driver, so seeing out a window isn't an issue. The MINI is being used as a canvas for a piece of art...much like the classic mini's or the BMW art cars.

It's oil based paint so once dry, it would have no problem rolling down the windows.

I encourage people to look into krink's other stuff before jumping to conclusions. Some of his hand tags are quite impressive.

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Another view

[​IMG]

10. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I think it's a cool effect and can appreciate how difficult pulling it off in an attractive manner can be. A lot of design isn't complex or even difficult looking but to look right is the hard part, the Paul Smith Mini is a great example of that.

11. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    At least there is something there. A few years ago I was at SF Moma. There was a large (12x8 at least) canvas hanging on the wall. Pure white. The story was that the "artist" drew on it in pencil and then erased everything. The piece was called "The absence of color". I was then and to this day positive that I can recreate that.

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Ahh, but you did not come up with the original idea. It's easy once you know how.

13. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    #15 Deviant, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
    There's a song in "incidental music" called 4:33 by John Cage. The artist sits at a piano for that length of time and doesn't play a not. The music is the background sounds generated by the audience.

14. will the driver be able to even, like, DRIVE the car knowing that all windows are covered in design paint?

15. Rally

Rally New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Yup yup. There's a lot to be said about pieces of art that can make you question the very definition of the word "art" (or "music") and explore the values of intention in a physical object.

[​IMG]

16. Rally

Rally New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Again, it's a piece of art....not a daily driver. Who cares if you can see out the window?

17. ahhhh i see. so it's like a trophy, or in this case, a really artistic automotive canvas.
    i wonder if he is going to continue his art on the car, or will the runing paint be the only thing to do

18. Rally

Rally New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I can't say for sure, but based on his previous work he'll probably stick to the drips. That's the krink ink aesthetic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    But it still does not make it art. Any more then the urinal laying on its side that I saw at this same museum just this last weekend. I can smear feces across my butt and roll around a canvas until dries up and sticks, but is it art just because I though of it first? Well, maybe to some, but certainly not all.