1. Onramp

Onramp Enjoy the Hiways of Life!
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Retired, mostly
    Renton, WA
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I have a Kuda mount for my Magellan GPS. The base mount is REALLY slick, with a tab that goes under that air vent on top of the dash. The tab has a screw hole, but once I got the thing on, it was rock solid and haven't installed the screw. This is a really good match with the Mini dash material

The surprising thing is how much the individual mounts (the part that mounts your GPS or whatever) go for, but I guess that since they have to make one for just about everything, and probably don't sell a bunch of each, the price is justified. Overall, I spent about $100 for the mount and base.

Aside from the cost, I really am happy with the setup. I would recommend it to anybody, and several of us here in the Puget Sound area have them.

That help?

Pat

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

Any chance of a pic from the drivers seat?

3. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    +1 on everything mentioned by Pat. :Thumbsup: I love how the screen is up near the driver's line of sight. The touch screen is easily manipulated with your right hand being close by.

About the only negative I've heard mentioned is the fact that the mount is quite noticeable from outside the car whether the unit is attached or not. This could attract thieves looking to nick your GPS. In my case, my MINI is garaged at home and I don't live in or frequent locations where the theft threat is enough of a concern to matter.

Here is a quick, drivers-eye view in my MINI with my Garmin Nuvi on the Kuda mount (using my Blackberry cam):

[​IMG]

4. ddminikc

ddminikc New Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    +1 again. I have the KUDA on both of mine and they have been worth the premium price. They match the dash well enough that we have had other MINI owners ask if it was a dealer option. As mentioned above they are noticable from outside the car. I think they blend into the dash well enough that as long as you take the GPS unit off, a lot of amateur smash and grab types will not notice it.

5. CFMINI

CFMINI New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Tech Support
    Corona, CA
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    +1 on the Kuda GPS mount. I have one in my '02 MCS with my Garmin Nuvi and it is quite solid. Still using the cigarette lighter adapter for power - I really should come up with a cleaner power arrangement. :rolleyes5:

6. Onramp

Onramp Enjoy the Hiways of Life!
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Retired, mostly
    Renton, WA
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I mounted an "add on" cig lighter style panel up above the pedal set and route electronics that come with a cig lighter style plug with electronics inside (like my Magellan cord) rather than do a hard wire. I tie wrap the plug into the socket so that it stays connected over bumps and the like.

Pat

7. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    +1 on the Kuda dash mount for the R50-53. It leaves my Garmin right at my fingertips and slips in and out easily after the first 10-15 times. It looks great!

I've been using it for 3 years or so now and would buy it again in a heartbeat, despite the hefty pricetag.

8. phydeaux

phydeaux New Member

May 5, 2009
    Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey Pat, didn't know you were in these parts, too! :)

I, too, use the Kuda, and like Pat said, it's rock solid even without the screw. Even getting rearended didn't jar the Kuda. The Garmin came flying off, but that's probably a result of the ball mount itself.

I also installed a "cig lighter" power port in my Euro shelf, far right side, so I could still make use of the traffic receiver in the Garmin power cable, but not have this massive thing sticking up in my lower power port. It very effectively blocked access to that lower center shelf, which I prefer to be blocked by my Sirius radio on it's Proclip mount. ;)

Many people have commented that they like the Kuda look, and feel that it may even have been a factory option, rather than being third party.

9. MoganDavid

MoganDavid New Member

Jan 22, 2012
    retired from Insurance, property & casualty claims
    Jackson, Michigan
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    How does one remove the center dash grill in order to insert the front tab of the Kuda beneath it? The grill seems to be screwed on from underneath the dash cover. Removing the two torx screws (angled forward inside front of the grill) does not loosen the grill. I bought a Garmin Kuda mount from a former R53 owner who removed it upon sale or trade.

10. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    On the R53, you don't need to remove the dash vent.

It will take you 2 hands to do the install your first few times...

1. From the driver's seat, put your left hand on the Kuda's long metal tab that goes under the vent
    2. Put your right hand on the shorter metal tab that goes under the dash, near the speedometer.
    3. Start by slipping the tab just under the hard plastic of the top dash vent.
    4. Use your right hand to guide the shorter tab under the vinyl of the dash.
    5. Wiggle it back and forth a bit while pressing towards the front of the car. It will eventually snap into place.

If you remove it regularly, like I did, you will find that after a few days of being in place, it will dent your dash. A few warm days parked in the sun will remove the dent.