Laser Spark Plugs!!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Minidave, Apr 25, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    The internal combustion engine for automotive use is highly engineered and run by advanced electro-mechanical systems that have been refined over a century of development. That fact hasn't stood in the way of breathless reports about laser spark plugs being the next big thing. Fast Company goes as far as to disparage the gasoline engine as antiquated and filthy while calling exotic and expensive laser ignitors "the gas engine's last gasp before the electric revolution comes."

Laser spark plugs do sound pretty neat. In Japan, researchers at the National Institute of Natural Sciences have cooked up an exceptionally compact laser that's robust enough for automotive use. With lots of strong ceramics and two different yttrium-based laser elements, one doped with neodymium and the other chromium, the lasers are capable of being pulsed more quickly and more accurately than current spark plug technology allows. Another benefit of lasers in the combustion chamber is the ability to ignite the air/fuel mixture with more power than a spark plug can reliably dissipate.

Modern engine management systems and direct fuel injection are capable of exceptional efficiency and more complete combustion than ever before, and gasoline contains a lot more energy per pound than any current automotive battery technology. While spark plugs might seem antiquated, they're far cheaper than fitting lasers for ignition, and the ignition systems attached to those plugs continue to get more and more sophisticated.

None of this research work has been applied to an actual engine yet, making any claims of superiority mere academia at this point. The NINS work will be presented at the 2011 Conference on Lasers and Electro Optics that's happening in early May. While there's great potential for small lasers that can stand up to harsh environments, and the developers are working with suppliers and automakers, it's not likely that your engine will be lit off by an Nd/Cr:YAG any time soon, despite what the car-haters who skim over engineering facts might have to say.

Whatdya think?

Cool Tech?

or

Never Happen?

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    If they could combine it with the windshield washer nozzles to create a laser show while I drive I would be all for it.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Pink Floyd laser show FTW ! !

4. Vollgas

Vollgas New Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Never happen in a production car.
    Racing?

5. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    All I wanted was sharks with freakin laser beams attached to their heads....:frown2:

6. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure if they can make it work, pretty sure they can, F1 will adopt and bada bing 5 yrs later it'll be 'would you like boring old sparkplugs or the NEW F1 TESTED SUPREMO LASERDILLYICOUS for only $500 per cylinder??' and because we have 4 Cyl MINI's it'll be a veritable bargin!

Course by then it might be the 3 cylinder >2012 and it'll be even less

7. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    It will have to be an OEM deal to me, cause it will involve reprogamming the ECU and require a whole host of specialized parts to make it work, but in the quest for even more fuel efficiency and HP I would not put it past someone like BMW experimenting with this tech.

Then all they need to do is figure out how to refocus the beam to clean the carbon off the back of the valves!

Zap! Zap! :D

8. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Now you might be onto something! :eek6: