Late Nights at TyrolSport

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by Cone Assassin, Mar 9, 2012.

1. EVWO

EVWO New Member

May 18, 2012
    Lifeguard & Food Server
    Indiana
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Looking clean!

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Was good to put a face to the welding mask at MOTD...nice meeting you.

3. Cone Assassin

Cone Assassin Local Shop Owner

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Likewise :beer

The goal was to make it quieter than the Borla race w/resonator that came off, hence the 9" straight through muffler that barely fits the tunnel. The end result was a deeper tone, and almost as loud (but with no drone between 55 and 70 mph). I may create a helmholtz resonator to cancel some of the 3K drone that comes with speeds 70+. Will have to wait and see how it sounds when the header is completed.

4. Cone Assassin

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    #24 Cone Assassin, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tw8HgH1ODk"]Hear it here[/ame]

5. Cone Assassin

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    News:

Changed my low-speed fan:
    fan.jpg rad.jpg

Changed my leaking hydraulic mount with a new hydraulic mount (third one :eek6:)

mount.jpg

Other news:

Added an exhaust tip to complete the cat-back section
    (pic coming soon)

Installed WMW 15% pulley to replace my Alta 19%.
    (pic coming soon)

The theory here was to leave the 4% oversized crank pulley on while retaining a back to more normal boost level (4% plus 19% = overboost and 180F IAT's, logged!). I also gain more belt area on the supercharger, so the chance of belt slip is reduced as well.
    BTW 23% reduction spells death and was only done on E85. Now that the pulley ratios are closer to normal, I can go full throttle again for the first time since you saw me replace the crank pulley in this thread, which was sometime before the Dragon.

I am also going to the Glen next Mon/Tues (July 16/17), and will be bringing some E85 along, as the car has responded in a night and day manner while running a 40%-60% blend. Throttle response, and power are greatly improved. It almost feels like I added a pulley to the car again.

Track days would not be possible with a 23% compressor reduction (although if you calcualte it, that figure grows slightly), as the engine internals would likely chernobyl in about 3 laps, as well as the bearings in the M45 from the increased RPM and heat. Of course by the time this thread actually launches and I stop building hype, IAT's will be a thing of the past.

That is about up to speed :) More to come!

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Nice to see updates. was starting to think you stopped working on the car...

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Ditto.....keep 'em coming!

8. Cone Assassin

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    As I type this, I am at Watkins Glen (or "The Glen") expecting 99F temps tomorrow. I had the car out today running an E85 blend (about 3 gal/tank or 25% (not accounting for the 10% already in our gasoline)). Anyway, it is working great. I am experiencing trememdous heatsoak, however the cooling effect of the E85 is really aiding in the retention of power, not to mention increased throttle response and modulation.
    Will have a few pics up in the coming days. My exhaust tip is a nice shade of ash/white from the ethanol:lol:

9. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    hope it all works out there in the Glen....

10. Cone Assassin

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    This is what E85 does to the exhaust:
    exhausttipe85.jpg

Please ignore the sugaring on the inner welds :wink: it was getting late and I wanted to go home, so no back purging.

11. Cone Assassin

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Not true again!

I replaced a lot of sheetmetal on my classic Mini about a month ago, and have also made some much needed repairs on the beater (Grand Cherokee ZJ).

Also Recently transported my GTI from the future in-laws place to my parents place so I would have some heated garage space to work on it in the fall/winter. On top of all that I am about mid-renovation on my apt :eek6:

The better half just got a job in Manhattan with a minimum 2yr commitment (and an express-bus commute), so my R55 may be up for sale within the next month or so, as much as I want to mod it!

Things I have changed on the MC40 since my last M/A post:

progressaug2012014.jpg

Coming soon:

Control Arm bushings
    Steering column universal joints
    Refinished R90s
    W11 Short block (maybe)

12. Cone Assassin

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    UPDATE

Spent the entire winter working on my GTI. Seam welded some bodywork, replaced the entire floorpan, and got the motor in. Needed lots of fuel system work on top of that to actually get fuel pressure and hear it run. Added a different rear beam with disc brake conversion as well.

The Clubman S needed some unexpected work this winter. Hit a block of ice on the interstate, took out the bumper, and aux water pump.

Also, just moved to Jacksonville FL about two months ago. My MC40 has progressed only slightly, with the addition of a euro parcel shelf in place of my glove box, and a new set of MC40 floor mats which I currently did not have. I installed a new windshield two days before moving down, so that's new as well.

Unfortunately, the current focus is going to be on the cosmetics, as:
    A) I have no real tools here
    B) I need my car to get me to work every day
    C) I have limited work space

SO, with that said, I will be back on board!

On deck is the re-spray of my hatch, which I am trying to get MINI to cover as there is some rust working its way around the handle trim. At the same time, I am going to have the hood re-sprayed. Also in search of a good set of facelift projectors. I can refinish them with the tools I have, so they can be glazed over like an old dog with cataracts. No prob for me.

Wheels - I am currently working on getting my R90s back on.

Brakes - Working on swinging a factory JCW brake kit (4 piston Brembo brakes up front with Red R56 rear calipers and larger rear rotors). Of course, I need 17" tires to mount the wheels. Looking into Pilot Super Sports for street use.

13. Cone Assassin

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Some updates from paint this morning. Coming along :beer
    mc401_zps100dba7c.jpeg mc402_zps3aad71b2.jpeg mc403_zpsd0566973.jpeg

14. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Sadly, finance. The most boring job in the world.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    Wow, what a labor of love.

15. Cone Assassin

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Yes indeed. This is actually the first time that it has been out of my hands(the paint work). Just with moving I have no tools or equipment, or even a work space. My second issue would be getting materials, so I caved and was able to have my Dealerships body shop work on it for me.

I also got to watch the paint go on, if anyone uses Instagram @cone_assassin :Thumbsup:

For those that don't use IG, I will be updating shortly :wink:

16. Cone Assassin

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
  17. Cone Assassin

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Well its been a while! Last time I posted in my thread I was living in Florida. I am now in the cold state of PA making slow progress - but still progress nonetheless. As seen below, I have my 6th windshield installed, and an R56 JCW brembo kit installed. The R112's are temporary, as they were the only wheels I had (with tires mounted) that fit. On the sidelines are a set of OZ Alleggeritas which will get better weather tires installed in a few months. Or if I sell these wheels before that happens, I do have my eyes on picking up a set of OZ Leggendas. As always, there is more to come (eventually).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Cone Assassin

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    More updates

Installed coil overs in the spring, now in the process of rebuilding the engine after developing a knock. This is how it looks. Currently waiting for a few odds and ends before reassembly.

2015-07-11 14.14.53-2_zps7kiumto1.jpg 2015-07-17 15.48.22_zps3esy3fvk.jpg 2015-08-10 17.03.39_zpsf7m7le00.jpg 2015-08-21 19.48.11_zpsavlgom0e.jpg 2015-08-24 19.08.09-1_zpsvcktogk2.jpg 2015-08-24 20.54.57_zpsquvck8lu.jpg 2015-08-25 19.24.45_zpsafbozguy.jpg

:drool

19. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    :biggrin5: That's great, can't wait to see what it looks like all buttoned up. Lots of green in that engine bay!

I know it's a strange thing to focus on given all you're doing but I'm curious what's up with your power steering pump fan.

20. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Now you can never remove that lower dogbone bracket: you'll mess up that shiny paint on the bolt heads.