Late Nights at TyrolSport

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by Cone Assassin, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Cone Assassin

Cone Assassin Local Shop Owner

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    #61 Cone Assassin, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    A lot of disassembly today. Finally have both my Clubman and the JCW parts car at my house, so I began chipping away at all the broken plastic and trashing it, being careful to remove needed hardware for the new radiator support. Surprisingly the air conditioning system still has pressure :confused:

So what happened in the crash, the point of contact was above the front bumper. Actually the metal structure behind the bumper cover is perfect. The motor took the hit directly, and broke free from the frame rail at the passenger side mount. From what I can see underneath, the lower mount is toast, and the passenger side inner CV joint has a few degrees of rotation before turning, so thats toast. The motor also hit the plastic firewall trim and broke it into lots of pieces. Fortunately it looks like my intake manifold is good, only the sound pipe and charge pipes were damaged. The battery box is slightly tweaked and there is even a slight puncture in the battery, but those are all things I can lift from the parts car. Actually i'm very happy with deciding to pick up the entire lot.

Only items I see that I need to purchase are a new passenger headlight, and a plastic radiator support (the parts car one is okay and usable overall but there are some cracks, and I would rather have a fresh new one).

That and I also have to figure out how the car will run again, as there is no fuel pump. Hopefully a clearing of fault codes in all the modules will sort that out. Never dealt with an airbag deployment before.

IMG_1842_zps2umckwqb.jpg IMG_1843_zpsacxvzplm.jpg IMG_1844_zpsgmevo7i9.jpg

2. Cone Assassin

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Took a mount from the parts car and reattached the motor to the clubman today.

IMG_1858_zpshhvjylaw.jpg

IMG_1857_zpsl0shomaz.jpg

3. Cone Assassin

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    New firewall trim installed, I think reassembly has begun :fingerscrossed:

IMG_1908_zpsmfzsuzw6.jpg

4. Cone Assassin

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    1478837233_zps0tallxck.jpg

Car is back together, running and driving!

I have to bring it to the shop to evacuate the a/c system to swap the condenser. I also have to swap the right axle as it's a little wobbly under power (the boot is all twisted up from the motor shifting in the crash, so the shaft is likely bent).

Got one new headlight today, swapped the headlight internal harness from my broken light so I wouldn't have to buy a new headlight module, the connector style changed so I retrofitted my old wiring in the new housing and saved about $300.

Ill see if I can post a video of the startup :)

5. Cone Assassin

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
  6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3