Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Launch Control / 2 step

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Paul Webster, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Paul Webster

Paul Webster New Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ....is now working, ready for the new season

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irKs5eqJU-4&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Mini Launch Control (1320)[/ame]

2. iceckid

iceckid New Member

Oct 16, 2010
    OR
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  3. drabdub

drabdub Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
  4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Can nobody simply turn the smart phone 90 degrees so you get a decent video ! ! !

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    It's due to the UK being taller than wide. :D

Anyway, Paul, thanks for sharing. Can we get some details on this as well please.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    :lol:

:Thumbsup:

7. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Sorry I am not Paul but can answer to some degree?

While I do not know what system they are using on this MINI in the video I can explain how it works. The Mini ignition is on what is called a waste spark ignition system using a coil pack or transformer with dual towers. This configuration is called a “Waste Spark System”. This means that each side of the coil is fired but only one cylinder is under compression, so the other spark is wasted. When you utilize a lunch control or RPM limiting devise or control the better ones will cancel the spark at every other cylinder to prevent the RPM from gaining. When doing so the gas still is injected into the cylinder and raw gas into the exhaust which is subsequently ignited by either heat or the exhaust charge of another cylinder.This type of system does not cause harm to the engine or exhaust system and only a slight amount of raw gas is expelled?
    I have had an MSD on my MINI for several years that does as the video in this thread depicts. I mainly used it to limit the cars ability to go beyond a chosen RPM level when using NOS. For drag racing you can activate the 2 step device stage your car and floor the accelerator pedal and wait for the green light. By either pushing or releasing a button to cancel the 2 step launch control and go to full ignition firing. This helps lower both your 60 foot times as well your overall 1/4 time and MPH. The real pro's will also have a control on the clutch slave to release it as well during the launch sequence so you don't have to worry about side stepping the clutch pedal.

The MSD DIS-2 in this pictures has Launch and 2 step capacity.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Thanks.

Jim

9. Paul Webster

Paul Webster New Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

Thats so funny Nate :lol:

10. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Now that is a fart pipe. :Thumbsup:

11. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    To be accurate…a “fart” that is to say the emitted gas is methane and when ignited produces “carbon dioxide” and burns with a blue flame.
    Gasoline when ignited produces “carbon monoxide” and if enough oxygen is introduced burns with a blue flame. So argumentatively not really the same as a "fart" ? :lol:

12. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure Crashton new that, his doughnut level was low when he posted. :cornut:

Jim

13. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Another thing to mention about a 2 step device is that it can be used as an anti-theft devise. You can either set it on an extremely low RPM setting or have it completely disable the ignition. As well they can run other RPM related components. You may have a cooling fan or say water injection come on at a "known" RPM range. These type of devises are great for more then just racing purposes.

14. DMAN

DMAN New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Nitrominis I looked at getting the racelogic traction control/launch contol system last year.... however I was told by the company that it would not work on a mini because

Why would this not work and the MSD system would?????

15. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Very interesting. :Thumbsup:

Jim

16. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #16 Nitrominis, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
    I am not familiar with the RLTC so I couldn't tell you? You might ask Paul which devise they are running in the MINI pictured in this thread? I have had the MSD DIS-2 for about 5 years set on WS and have never in any case had my MINI go to limp(safe running) mode. Also A few have converted to 4 single coils based off the WS system without issues. One of those here on MA is Onasled Racing (Greg). I personally have connected 4 coils without concern only back burner the project because of design location for the installation conversion.

17. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Paul is such a tease haha. The system that he is using is a plug and play standalone ECU specifically designed for the R53. IT IS NOT A PIGGY BACK

18. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, I thought so. I couldn't come up with a BMW vehicle where a launch control ecu would be sourced. Tricky yaropeans:D