Le Mans Le Mans 2018

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Sully, Jun 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Well, I wish I could agree, but as a red-bloded American, I would really like to see the C8 Corvette sport 21st-century engines. "Americas Sportscar" deserves better than a giant pushrod V8. IMHO, the Corvette peaked in 1967, although it took a step in the right direction with the 1990 ZR-1, with the Mercury Marine 32-valve V8. I've driven several of them, and they are still wonderful cars to drive.

But, they went back to the old pushrods, and the world left them behind. Sorry, but that's how I see it.

CD

2. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Yea - in some ways I hate it for Toyota. This year will be a "give me" win in peoples mind. Where if they didn't have their issue on the last lap that would have been a "real" win. Note - I'm not taking anything away from them. Quite opposite. They paid their dues, but since there are no other factory LMP1's.. this result was expected.

Yup... but I bet there are a few politics going on to. When (if) they actually produce their mid engine, but there is a good chance it will win that year (yes.. my conspiracy theory).. but I was at Le Mans when the Fords won. Pretty sure there was some back room dealings to make that happen. Found it really strange the last minute BOP rules that somehow favored Ferrari and Ford on the 50th anniversary. Just saying. :Cautious:

3. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Can understand that view.. but frankly for a high HP reliable car that pushrod does a great job. If they allowed the cars to run full bore without the BOP I think we would find the field very different. Also note, the GT40 originally was designed for a V8.. but internally in Ford the Business Unit couldn't get enough budget... in came the Ecoboost BU with funding only if they used their engine (which is a great engine BTW). But that wasn't the original plan (One of the GT40 designers is a good friend of one of my buddies). We got in a long conversation about that a few years ago. Note - I'm not taking anything away from the GT40.. its a homologation car which I love. Its also $425K.. an not a true production car. Wasn't actually a production car when it won the first time. That said, love that they are there and do think its good for the sport. Hope Ford stays with it and we see a mid engine Chevy.. :D

4. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    I like that in spite of the antiquated technology they’ve managed to accumulate a few wins.

http://www.corvetteracing.com/about-2/history/

5. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0

Yeah, but the Vette is supposed to be GM's "image car." Plus, if GM's cheapest cars have DOHC engines, why does their "image" car have pushrods? Plus, imagine the handling benefits of a smaller, lighter engine with the same HP sitting in the engine bay.

I'd love to see a small, powerful, high-reving four-cam V8 and a lightning quick dual-clutch gearbox option in the next Corvette, regardless of the engine's location in the car.

BTW, 2005-2006 Ford GTs are currently selling used for $100K (or more) over their original sticker prices. GM has to offer rebates and cash incentives to sell NEW Corvettes. My local Chevy dealer is advertising $7,600 below MSRP, which realistically means you can get it for 10-grand below MSRP, if not more.

I'm not anti-Corvette, as a brand, I just think they could reach a little higher.

CD

6. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Do agree they could reach higher. I haven’t looked at the weights of the ecoboost against the LS.. that would be an interesting comparison on power to weight out of box. Will look that up.