Left foot braking with auto trany

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by mrminimmel, Feb 25, 2011.

1. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Is there some way to override the feature in a Mini that will not allow throttle to remain high when the brakes are applied? I have a 2010 Cooper that I have started doing the autocross in and unless I apply a bare minimum of braking the throttle just refuses to respond until the brakes come off. So is this what earlier responses meant when they talked of driving a momentum car? That I need to learn how to drive at the max speed of the car for cornering and use the brakes as little as possible?? As always I appreciate the feedback.
    Pete

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Wow. Is that the solution they implemented after the Toyota sticky throttle fiasco?

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Is the DCS nanny turned off when you are doing this?

I don't think that this is because of the Toyota floormat/operator error fiasco. There will come a day when big brother equips our cars with another nanny because of the Toyota fiasco. On that you can be sure.

4. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    When I was Autox'ing my '06 GTI with a DSG I ran into the same issue. It wanted to kill throttle as soon as you touched the brake. Even with all the traction aids off. I actually had to adjust for that while left foot braking & trail braking.

However, if you are hitting the brake hard while on the gas or vice versa you arent helping yourself anyway at an Autox. It'll just slow you down. You'll need to give that brief moment (which while autox'ing feels like forever) for the hardware to "catch-up". Then you should be good.

As far as the momentum car thing... Eh, not so much at an AutoX. For the most part both generations have enough torque and a wide enough powerband not to be entirely momentum based. On a longer open track? Then yes, its a momentum car.

Good luck & skill. Enjoy the cone dodging! :D

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The DCS is off and the sport mode is on. I've been fooling around in vacant parking lots trying to find a smoother transition from braking to accelerating. Thats why I've been trying the left foot braking. A light tap seems to not interfere with accelerating but anything too hot the throttle response just lags.??

6. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Wow, my '09 does not do that and I don't think I like the idea very much. Perhaps MINI should have two versions available. One for people who actually like to drive and one to protect idiots from themselves. :frown2:

Jim

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Thanks for the explanation Redbeard. I had read that even when one switches the stability nanny off on a GTI it is still on, just to a lesser degree.

I do not left foot brake, but I have a friend who does. It can really help rotate a car, but like you I think at lower speeds it doesn't do much.

8. Vader

Vader New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Are you sure? My '04 does it. I noticed it while bedding in brake pads. If I brake while accelerating, it cuts power after about 2 sec. Maybe the interval has been shortened for the auto. I'll try the '10 auto today and see.

9. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I might add that I have the sprint booster, set to highest position and the sport button on. If that could make a difference. I really do not feel a cut in power.

Jim

10. Vader

Vader New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    OK, I drove both this morning.
    The 04 std shift, at any steady state throttle, if I apply the brake while still applying throttle, after about 2 seconds, the throttle goes to idle.

In the '10 auto, sport or not, man shift mode or not, the throttle is not altered by left foot brake UNLESS I'm at WOT. I did not expect that.

Must be a difference between the programming in a r53 vs a r56/57.

11. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    What is WOT?-wide open throttle?

12. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Yep....my 04 does it too. Found out way back when while doing my first brake job. Trick is to just let up a bit on the gas while braking. It will also help you learn to trail brake easier.

Also did it on the 06 S auto I had as a loaner for a few weeks.

14. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I know you want to get faster but if you are hard on the gas and hitting the brake at the same time you arent helping yourself go any faster. Proper trail braking (useful for autox) doesnt involve using the gas at all. Its a matter to balancing brake with turn-in to keep the weight bias towards the front before getting to the apex. No gas involved. Tough to learn but it can cut as much as a full second off your time in a 35-40 course if used well. The throttle "nanny" shouldnt be an issue.

If you are left foot braking using gas in order to "tuck-in" the front to avoid understeer you have two things working against you. 1) You dont have a full brake balance control and you are gonna do a good job toasting pads, rotors, and CV joints. 2) The auto tranny, regardless of mode, isn't gonna live long with that sort of stress. It simply wasn't designed for that. Hence the the throttle "nanny".

As far as the traction control in the GTI: Yeah, with the ESP switched off it still used the front brakes to act as a differential under extreme cornering. Not so hot... :p

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

15. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Good info Redbeard.

I am also impressed with how long a post you can make using your phone. Mine are very short. :lol: :Thumbsup:

Jim

16. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    A result of my lazyness. I sit at the TV downstairs and use the Wi-Fi connect with my phone and surf... :lol:

17. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Alright guys, I feel like the left foot braking idea has some merit but it sounds like the wear and tear on rotors, pads, and cv joints aren't worth it. In autocross, should I be trying to get most of my braking done in a straight line before the corner, taper off with the braking in the corner as I begin to accelerate out of the corner? Is that the same as trail braking?
    I guess the sluggishness on the throttle is just a standard feature of the Cooper and as soon as possible I should just bite the bullet and move up to an S with a manual. Ah life is so cruel when you have to plan on a new car upgrade just for speed and handling. I did put in a new 19mm sway bar and I think I like the feel. Can't wait till our next event in Feb.
    Pete

18. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Alright guys, I feel like the left foot braking idea has some merit but it sounds like the wear and tear on rotors, pads, and cv joints aren't worth it. In autocross, should I be trying to get most of my braking done in a straight line before the corner, taper off with the braking in the corner as I begin to accelerate out of the corner? Is that the same as trail braking?
    I guess the sluggishness on the throttle is just a standard feature of the Cooper and as soon as possible I should just bite the bullet and move up to an S with a manual. Ah life is so cruel when you have to plan on a new car upgrade just for speed and handling. I did put in a new 19mm sway bar and I think I like the feel. Can't wait till our next event in Feb.
    Pete

19. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Oops, I guess I meant in March. Typing and dates, calendars and spelling- there's so much to think of and all I really want to do is drive. Can I retire already?
    Pete

20. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Yup, that's trail braking. Most people ride the brakes into the corner when they're driving on the street, but it's an entirely different matter when you're doing it at the limit of adhesion. It's a really good technique with a front wheel drive car because you can keep the nose of the car from popping up and upsetting your traction. It's all a matter of being very smooth on and off the pedals.