2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Left front turn signals don't blink, stays on indefinitely throughout the night?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Systemlord, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I took my Mini in Monday to have the intake valves walnut blasted (cost $800), went to pick-up my Mini and saw that my front left blinker was lit up solid and would not blink at all when turn signal is activated.

If I hadn't noticed it my battery would have been dead the next morning, it won't turn off until battery is drained or I unplug the bulb. I have tried replacing that bulb with a new factory bulb with zero success, has anybody had a similar issue with their turn signals?

This problem didn't happen before I brought it in, I always do a walk around the car so I know if it happened before or after the car is returned to me. Just the night before I was driving home from the Angel Stadium at night and clearly remember seeing my turn signals flash in front of the car.

Any help appreciated!

Systemlord

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    That is an interesting issue you have going there. Never have seen that before. Sorry, I'm not much help with this.

3. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Was it both the front and the rear? They is a feature on most European cars that allow the turn signals to stay lit up at night so drivers on the narrow streets can see them.

4. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Irvine Mini/BMW

I need to replace the FRM, $800 dollars! I just paid $800 dollars for the carbon cleaning. In other words the dealer is blaming the aftermarket alarm system that CarMax sold me when I purchased my MCS back on March 13th. The alarm system has been completely removed from the car including all harnesses and wires, yet still the problem remains and now I'm out a fully functioning alarm I paid for.

CarMax is blaming the dealer because the turn signal didn't go bad until the dealer performed the intake valve carbon cleaning, reprogramming of my Mini and that's when my turn signal went faulty.

When I went to pick-up the car at Irvine Mini I noticed the turn signal wasn't turning off, I brought this to the attention to the SA, the SA asked the tech who performed the valve cleaning about the turn signal, he stated oh yeah I forgot to include that in my inspection report! If he forgot to include that valuable info at the time what else did he forget to do when performing the intake cleaning? Incompetence!

How convenient for him! :mad:

5. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Well it seems like Carmax is paying for it because the guy they hired to install my alarm left wires exposed and did a real crappy job, but I paid Carmax for the alarm (via financing) so their partly responsible since they were the middle man.

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Wow that sucks, good luck with the repair and alarm install.

7. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I'm willing to take a loss on the alarm system because if it did really cause my FRM unit to fail it's best left out of my Mini, my SA said he has never had an FRM module go bad ever. I'm willing to bet that it was the alarm and move forward, hay I still have Lo-Jack and their Early Warning System. My Mini detects motion at all and I get a call from Lo-Jack, unless it's an earthquake.

It looks like I'll get my Mini back today and finally get to open her up after the carbon cleaning!