Let it snow...

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by ImagoX, Jan 7, 2011.

1. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    He is

We got about 2-3" of sleet followed by 2-3" of snow, not 20 mi west of here they got 12" and it just keeps going up the further west you go. Where docv is? forgeddabout it!

On a related note the wifes Dunlop RFT's couldn't even get her up the 20 deg grade on our street. The Conti DSW's on Augie saved the day and rolled right through that sleet. Damn these tires are good for this time of year!

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    It's a good thing I have such a good APC unit that provides a 19 min runtime for my 225 watt load when fully charged. It's been getting a workout today. 4 outages so far totaling 1:10:05. Each time it has shut down the PC gracefully 5 min into the outage.

3. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    On behalf of APC and all the Schneider Electric family of companies we thank you for your continued trust in support of our products :cornut::D:ihih::eek:ut:

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    #144 Minidave, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
    Here in Kansas they're calling it "the Blizzard of Oz"

The wife made it home - sort of - about 2 am, she managed to get the Audi into the driveway before it high centered on the snow - and that's with the Allroad's suspension all the way up, with 8 1/2 " of ground clearance - which doesn't help all that much if there's 24" of snow! The all season tires on her car are a little worn too - so that didn't exactly help.....

This morning I started shoveling the driveway (my heart Doc would shoot me if he knew!) to try and get the car into the garage - it took 2 1/2 hours to get it dug out, once I got it cleared out it rolled right into the garage with no problem - and there was so much snow packed in the wheels that I almost didn't get it stopped! I've got a heater plugged in the garage right now to try and get enough warmth to melt the snow packed in the wheels at least....she has to go to work today too and the plow hasn't been down our street yet, but since we live on a hill, I think she should be able to get a rolling start and be OK. The main roads are plowed, so once she gets out to there she's fine....

The MINI OTOH, is not going anywhere till they plow the road!

Losing the electricity would not be good, but like Lotsie I've got a good sized Genset all ready to go, but if we lost the gas we'd be in deep poop! There's no way I could keep our place warm without the gas, since not only the furnace but also the stove, fireplace, and practically everything else run on it.

5. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    On this side it the state they seem to be getting pissy that we didn't get all the snow, at least in St. Louis City and immediate vacinity. 'The Snow Storm that wasn't'

I'll take a couple inches of sleet over a couple feet of snow anytime

My driveway only took 1 hour to chip out, MiniDave on the other hand may need a trauma unit......:)

6. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    I am calling around to try and find someone with a front end loader to come dig me out there is no way I can shovel, the snow has drifted to above my waist it is about 5' deep for 100' long driveway. I may get out by the time the Dragon rolls around....

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Nice to know we have our priorities straight here.

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    So, here's my electric story....

After many many years (at least 25 or more) of complaining to the electric company about brown outs and black outs at my shop, they finally got tired of me and assigned a direct contact with one of their engineers. At that point I shifted my attack. Instead of "it's that crazy guy again complaining about the electric service", once I was assigned an investigator I became, "hey, I wish all our customers were like you" nice guy. My contact even gave me his direct dial phone number. They ended up putting special monitoring equipment on the shop and all of our rental units, which were needed to document voltage fluctuations over a period of 3 months. The upshot of all this was the supply of electricity coming out of the nearby substation was sized to handle what was common in the early 60's. With all of the things that we take for granted today like dishwashers, air conditioners, disposals, large screen TV, etc, the demand was pushing the supply right to the edge.
    To end the story, the electric company adjusted the taps on the substation transformers, trimmed the branches on nearby trees, replaced all of the copper lines on the power poles with heavier gage wire and added a few more pole transformers along the back alley. Since then, power to my shop and rental units have not been interrupted since the changes. I even wrote the power company and complemented the engineer that was assigned to me. Happy ending:D

9. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Dave I now have a picture in my head of a XK-E drifting through the snow. You need a Silverback zoo, they are full of hot air to keep your house warm!

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Song of the day for many of us....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqdzFSFVF2E]YouTube - Pat Metheny Group - spring ain't here Vienna 1991[/ame]

11. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I have to find some shade, kind of warm in the sun here. (((-:

Mark

12. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Docv, remember the graphic I put up yesterday? It was right, wasn't it!

Here are a couple of shots of what I'm dealing with, it doesn't seem so bad somehow in the bright sunlight, but bear in mind that at 12 noon even tho the sun was bright, it was 3*....

Attached Files:

13. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunally yes, but trying to stay on the upside at least the wind quit blowing

Nate you know the Game MUST go on even with no one watching it because their power is out.

14. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Well, despite all my hard work, she got stuck in the street right outside the driveway. Fortunatly my neighbor was out shoveling his driveway, we both put a shoulder to the back of the Audi, she put the pedal down and off she went. Once she gets to the main roads she'll be fine, and coming home she'll be going downhill so once she hits the driveway she'll be good to get into the garage....

My boss text'd me and said he expects to see me at work tomorrow, I sent one back saying if they don't plow my street I'm not going anywhere without a ride!

15. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    You are living on the edge, buddy. Lois is home doing bad things to Poco. :D

Jim

16. T8rChick

T8rChick Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Paying for new tires! The wheels were a deal!!!
    Oak Cliff, TX
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhh...

ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhh...

17. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Things are blooming here, now I'm in bigger trouble, and I have the rest of the day off.

Mark

18. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Also getting a bit of a pre-tan before I go to Puerto Rico next week.

Mark

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Skating in the street here....

[​IMG]

20. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    If ya get home and find the locks have been changed, I can put you up for awhile. Matchless has a big stall and does not use the whole thing. :cornut:

Jim