R53 Most liked posts in thread: Let's Change Something !

1. dmcgroggan3

dmcgroggan3 New Member

Oct 10, 2015
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I like the idea of being able to take a quick peek as to the state of your filter without having to take part of the box apart. Could imagine it getting quite messy from the inside though and making that plexi look less than clean... That would drive my OCD nuts!

Keep up the great work!

And I love how your goal is.... If it's not more efficient and does not make more power.... There is no point.
    Great materials and incredible design are to be noted... But I love how it won't become "a thing" unless it's more effective [emoji457][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. Precision Engineering

Precision Engineering Active Member

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    #151 Precision Engineering, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Yeap totally agree. I was checking the other day APR's ultracharger kit for the 3.0 Audi engine. They accompany their charge pipe with a big throttle body plus an enlarged body. I think an E90 throttle body from a 320i BMW is a direct replacement to our MINIs, of-course I suspect you need some kind of calibration (I need to check that). OK so I have the charge pipe, the enlarge air box so... maybe I should find a second hand BMW throttle body and do some testing :D I feel like more CAD, 3d printed, testing, logging, dyno is coming :Pompus:

P.S
    Maybe altering the original r53 throttle body .... :Cyclops:
    I need to go back to work ,
    I will update you shortly :Ninja:

3. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    Hello to everyone, sorry for the lack of updates. I did stop for a while updating the project and focus on some design details, logging, 3D printing quality and actual driving my car with the pipe on.

So the story...:
    A couple of months ago, someone from England (John) text me on Facebook asking details concerning the charge pipe.
    Yadda yadda yadda [​IMG] I end up sending for free a charge pipe in UK so John can do all the testing along side with 1320 MINI.
    Basic Spec:

Material: carbon fiber reinforced nylon.

Manufacturing Method: 3D Printing

Fitment: Plug and play, no cuts or modifications needed. All necessary hardware is included.

And this is exactly what I sent to England. (*By the way this is charge pipe version 5.)

20200730_142902.jpg
    Below you can see side by side photos of my charge pipe and the OEM Unit.
    20200730_150201.jpg

20200730_150803.jpg

On 2/9/2020 John, went to 1320 MINI.

The vehicle was loaded on the dyno with the OEM charge pipe. Result 233.9 whp and 186.2wtq. OK so that's our base line. (I have to say John has a really really fast MINI)
    Off the dyno and the installation of my charge pipe started.

fit (8).jpg
    Charge pipe in !
    fit (4).jpg
    And another side by side view.
    Pipe.jpg
    And with that back on the dyno!!
    Dyno room.jpg
    First three runs was with the same tune and only difference the TPE Precision charge pipe, resulting in 237.3 whp and 187.6 wtq.
    Below the dyno run. But....

TPE Precision no tune.png

the 1320 MINI team saw that the AFR value was off (that's what I did not take into account into my own testing....) , thus more power was on
    the table.

After tuning, the car made 240.5 whp and 189.4 wtq!!!

TPE Precision with tune.png

Of course numbers along are half the truth, as the car gained whp and wtq in the whole RPM range!! And yes you can feel the difference on the road!
    Additionally to the above we saw reduction in IATs from 3 to 5 degrees and increased boost pressure of up to 1 psi.

I have a detailed blog post into my website (yeap i did that as well [​IMG]) but I am not going to upload it here as I do not want to be considered an advertisement.

I spoke many times with the owner of the car and he is extremely happy with the results and the way the car feels. John drives his car everyday and does many trackdays every year so I respect his opinion a lot.

What do you think?
    Do you like it so far ? Comments and suggestions are more than welcome !
    Have a nice day,
    George .

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Following.....

5. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    It's a different approach. I want to test both so I can compare. I really like the looks of the airbox but the heat shield is not bad either. Both systems are designed to have similar filter (not a panel one like the OEM). If you see I really try in both designs to eliminate hot air. With that said I would like to test some printed models and see the differences. Also I want to see how the charge pipe will perform tomorrow. I am only going to drive around the city for the next week just for evaluation reasons.

6. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    The main goal is extra torque and no just hp. That's something many people easily confused. So by altering the flow characteristics of the charge pipe you can achieve smoother operation, increase in torque and small difference in the intake temperature. Main goal when I started designing it ,was to remove any unnecessary geometrical changes in the airflow path. From that point with the help of cfd simulations I tried to keep a tapered design (thus increasing the volume) without creating problems to the airflow. Ok so far everything ok! But the main restriction is the available space! That's why it took me so many months trying different 3d print models. Ofcourse I have to prove everything with real data I know, I am working on it !

Cost:
    The thing is that the charge pipe is a prototype. It is not a finished product. I am trying to make a startup. I have a very good estimation for the cost, which I would prefer not to say as it is not a product yet! Now if you ask me how the cost is connected with the gains I will tell that:
    You should think the kit is 2 products. The charge pipe plus the intake. Charge pipe and heat-shield (or airbox) are made from carbon fiber. Everything comes with the kit and it is completely plug and play, no interfere no modifications and seals perfect. Even the throttle body cable comes as a ready extension, with BMW connectors and cables. So yes it will be a costly kit for sure.
    But again it is not finished. For me sharing with people is a very big test for my skills (communication skills or answering technical questions) but also a nice thing sharing and listening all your comments!

I am sure everyone is bored by now! I hope I covered your question; whatever else you need just ask me.

By the way did you like the sound of it guys? I recorded it with my phone.... :Nailbiting:

7. dmcgroggan3

dmcgroggan3 New Member

Oct 10, 2015
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Yes, interested to see how this effects real world flow/hp/powa!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

8. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    So yesterday I did a bit of logging in order to see some very basic data. I used two cars for the logging. Both cars were logged the same time.
    I though it will be a nice comparison as the two cars are so closed spec wise, with a small advantage on car 2. Both cars had 100 RON fuel, nearly same mileage, extremely well maintained.
    Car No1 specs (that's my car) : Car No2 specs:
    16% sc pulley 16% sc pulley
    0% Crank pulley 0% Crank pulley
    Exhaust (back box only) Exhaust ( Mynes Header, 200 cell catalytic converter and back box)
    Bytetronik Tune Bytetronik Tune
    550 Injectors 550 Injectors
    Charge Pipe without heatshield GP Intercooler
    After market Bypass
    OEM intake

Outside Temperature 26 degrees at 2 am !! It is very hot here !

Below you can see some graphs from the measurements. What you will realise is that car No1 produce more psi although is operating with increased IAT compare to car No2. To be honest I do not remember my car producing 15+ psi of boost with that heat. I could only see numbers above 15 only during the winter. I will need some time before the heatshield is going to be ready. When it will be done I will do exactly the same measurements with the heatshield on. Just keep in mind that I have not finished the data collection, I am aware that there are many things to be done. So far I am very happy with how it performs! Please guys give me your thoughts - opinions.

For uplaod .png

2-4 psi.PNG
    2-4.PNG

Attached Files:

9. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    So I found some old logs of my car with same spec, outside temperature, fuel, driver etc and I compared them against the latest logs of the car. I could see through out the rev rage an increase in the boost level although the increased IAT (new logs are with the charge pipe but without the heatshield).
    So I made a chart with the average boost level in each gear comparing the two logs. The results so far verify the feeling the car gives me , so I am very happy !!
    Next steps:
    New 3D scan of the engine in two days, redesign of the heatshield, print a 3d model.
    Make another prototype in order to be installed in a friends car, so he can drive with it for a while and give me feedback.
    Book a dyno, do back to back pulls.

By the way what do you think of the heatshield I posted in the previous post? Do you like it ?
    PE vs OEM .png

10. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    Nearly done with the new design of the heatshield. Some minor modifications and then I will print and test fit it.
    The last days I am playing with an idea... I want the outer layer of the heat shield to be made from aluminium fiber (Yes you can have aluminium in a fiber form exactly as carbon fiber !) and the inner from carbon fiber. So outer layer is the layer that we can not see (faces the ground and the intercooler horn). I want to make two prototypes one with the aluminium skin and one without and see if there is any difference with the temperatures.
    More updates:
    The billet air-filter adapter should be ready next week.
    Heat shield prototype version 2 .png
    I also did some brackets but I have not fitted yet to see if everything is ok. Again I am thinking to use carbon fiber for the brackets, as I have done some to support an exhaust and the result was very nice.
    37161513_1860277654011132_79869911916085248_n.jpg

11. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    So today I put the billet adapter on the car. I took some photos so you can see how it looks with the air filter on.
    Keep in mind that the adapter is not anodised, just raw aluminium. I want to anodised them mainly to protect them from corrosion. You will notice that there is a small aluminium tube comming out of the top of the air filter. This is the return line from the PCV valve.
    In the photos you can see the tapered design in order to accommodate a larger air filter without creating any step in the throttle body or the filter side.
    BILLET ADAPTER AND FILTER.jpg BILLET ADAPTER on TH BODY.jpg

Attached Files:

12. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Good deal thanks for the update - can't wait till it cools down so we can see the dyno results. Also.. inquiring minds want to know about the R56 project.. Ducati's are cool too. :Sneaky:

13. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    I could post some stuff and see if people enjoy the extra content !!

14. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Post away.. would love to see. If it's anything like this.. can't wait. :)

15. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Love it.. I know people know this, but 3D printing is going to change the game.

Good stuff. Looks like the jig turned out well. Thinking about this a little, since it’s carbon fiber.. which usually comes in sheets, how is that 3D printed?

16. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yes, I agree and I like what he is doing with this design with CF.

But if I buy the Harrop TVS900 it comes with a new cnc intake pipe without the stupid OEM green gasket and a replacement pipe to replace the crap OEM plastic one.

You can see the Harrop TVS900 Kit by clicking the link below.

http://store-revolutionmini-com.3dcartstores.com/Harrop-TVS900-direct-bolt-on-kit_p_46.html

17. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Not overkill at all, well thought out and always safety first.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    Exactly ! That's why I designed a heatshield that blocks air from around the engine bay. and most important the radiator. I uploaded it in a previous post but I will attach more photos here so you can see it. heat shield printed 2.jpg
    heat shield printed 11.jpg
    heat shield printed 8.jpg

19. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Nice, can't wait to see the final product. Good stuff.

20. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,024 / 6 / -5
    Congratulations on your professionalism and dedication to making a great looking product.