R53 Let's Change Something !

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by Precision Engineering, May 18, 2018.

1. Precision Engineering

Precision Engineering Active Member

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    Hello to everyone. I could not update the thread for a while as I was abroad for some days.
    I took a photo yesterday with the printed model and the OEM component so everyone can have a better idea.
    Right now I am printing a new heat-shield design, so hopefully by the end of the week I would be able to test it - test drive it. Test drive with a printed model? Yes you can if you choose the correct materials. It's a blend of ABS and carbon good enough for temperatures up to 120 degrees. I will try to make some renders later . 35885869_1819543148084583_3154985651682672640_n.jpg

2. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    So I did some test fitting yesterday with the air filter, I had a small problem with space but I think I have a solution for that.
    Below you can see the air filter with the adapter (printed model). So the the only thing I will change is the high of the adapter. Thus there is no room for the breather tube! Of course I do not really like that idea, thus the breather line will be connected on the top of the air filter. I already designed an adapter, and I am waiting the printer to finish (photos when I will have it ready).
    The reason I chose this air filter is space. The space is very limited so the air filter has to be as short as possible. On the other hand I wanted to achieve a specific ltr/min number ( 7000 + ltr/min or 250 + cfm). In the second photo you can see the tapered design of the adapter and the elimination of the step on the filter and the throttle body side. I wanted a smooth transition from the air filter up to the supercharger inlet. In the third photo is a bit more clear what I am describing.

Air Filter With Adapter.jpg
    Tappered Design.jpg
    Step Elimination .png

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    This does look like it will flow much better.

4. dmcgroggan3

dmcgroggan3 New Member

Oct 10, 2015
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Yes, interested to see how this effects real world flow/hp/powa!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

5. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    So yesterday I did a bit of logging in order to see some very basic data. I used two cars for the logging. Both cars were logged the same time.
    I though it will be a nice comparison as the two cars are so closed spec wise, with a small advantage on car 2. Both cars had 100 RON fuel, nearly same mileage, extremely well maintained.
    Car No1 specs (that's my car) : Car No2 specs:
    16% sc pulley 16% sc pulley
    0% Crank pulley 0% Crank pulley
    Exhaust (back box only) Exhaust ( Mynes Header, 200 cell catalytic converter and back box)
    Bytetronik Tune Bytetronik Tune
    550 Injectors 550 Injectors
    Charge Pipe without heatshield GP Intercooler
    After market Bypass
    OEM intake

Outside Temperature 26 degrees at 2 am !! It is very hot here !

Below you can see some graphs from the measurements. What you will realise is that car No1 produce more psi although is operating with increased IAT compare to car No2. To be honest I do not remember my car producing 15+ psi of boost with that heat. I could only see numbers above 15 only during the winter. I will need some time before the heatshield is going to be ready. When it will be done I will do exactly the same measurements with the heatshield on. Just keep in mind that I have not finished the data collection, I am aware that there are many things to be done. So far I am very happy with how it performs! Please guys give me your thoughts - opinions.

For uplaod .png

2-4 psi.PNG
    2-4.PNG

Attached Files:

6. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    So I have a printed version of the heatshield but as I said I had a small problem. Well when I did the 3d scan I had the previous charge pipe version installed ( I know rookie mistake !! ) thus my fix points were a bit off. The engine bay of course remains the same but the position of the charge pipe is different. Thus I will do a new 3d scan this week and redesign the heatshield. In the pictures you see below the carbon fiber prototype is installed, that's why you see a gap around the throttle body. I think you can understand how it will look like later. In the next version everything will be in the correct position.
    P.S I had to trim a bit of material, close to ECU. (when it will be in the correct position it will be ok)
    P.S 2 The material of this print is a blend of carbon and abs. It can withstand temperatures up to 120 degrees and it is pretty flexy. I printed like that as I wanted to do some actual driving with the printed heat shield. Heat Shield test 1.jpg Heat Shiels Test 1.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    So I found some old logs of my car with same spec, outside temperature, fuel, driver etc and I compared them against the latest logs of the car. I could see through out the rev rage an increase in the boost level although the increased IAT (new logs are with the charge pipe but without the heatshield).
    So I made a chart with the average boost level in each gear comparing the two logs. The results so far verify the feeling the car gives me , so I am very happy !!
    Next steps:
    New 3D scan of the engine in two days, redesign of the heatshield, print a 3d model.
    Make another prototype in order to be installed in a friends car, so he can drive with it for a while and give me feedback.
    Book a dyno, do back to back pulls.

By the way what do you think of the heatshield I posted in the previous post? Do you like it ?
    PE vs OEM .png

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    It looks good so far!

9. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    Nearly done with the new design of the heatshield. Some minor modifications and then I will print and test fit it.
    The last days I am playing with an idea... I want the outer layer of the heat shield to be made from aluminium fiber (Yes you can have aluminium in a fiber form exactly as carbon fiber !) and the inner from carbon fiber. So outer layer is the layer that we can not see (faces the ground and the intercooler horn). I want to make two prototypes one with the aluminium skin and one without and see if there is any difference with the temperatures.
    More updates:
    The billet air-filter adapter should be ready next week.
    Heat shield prototype version 2 .png
    I also did some brackets but I have not fitted yet to see if everything is ok. Again I am thinking to use carbon fiber for the brackets, as I have done some to support an exhaust and the result was very nice.
    37161513_1860277654011132_79869911916085248_n.jpg

10. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Its fun to watch you roll through the design process. Wish I had some of the 3D scanning tools...

This is looking very promising. Basically you are seeing an increase in the velocity of the air flow. In the chart from July 10th the biggest gains are in 3rd gear. What about 1st and 2nd? Are you pulling any data about HP? (I realize its would be ODB2 data.. but would be interesting to see what it shows).

The Aluminum heat shield. Are you saying its a Carbon fiber/Aluminum? I.e. the fiber weave includes both?

11. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    The chart is just the average values, I did not want to present only the peek values as I think they give half the picture. I do not have 1st and 2nd gear pulls from the same car, just 3rd, 4th and 5th. Peek numbers I could see constantly 15 to 15.4 psi throughout the gears without the heatshield (maximum IAT 69 celcius ), previously my car was making from 14.2 to 14.5 peek (at summers with the same IAT). About HP I will do some dyno runs but with 38 degrees under shadow and OEM intercooler I do not really want to have a dyno section right now !! So I will wait until September.
    So about the heatshield , no it is not a fiber weave that has both ! Underneath it will have only aluminium weave and the upper layer only carbon fiber weave. Two different materials. Carbon fiber will give the strength and looks and the aluminium weave the heat dissipation. I will make one prototype with the 2 materials and one with only carbon fiber and see the difference in temperature.
    More Updates:
    Billet air filter adapter is ready ! It is not anodized yet, just raw aluminium . You can see the tapered design which allows for a bigger air filter without any step in the geometry.
    Billet adapter.jpg

12. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    OK - so slightly less than 1 PSI difference (without heat shield). I do agree with averages compared to peak. It also looks like the bigger gains are in lower gears (3rd)..

Billet adaptor looks great!

13. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    So this is the latest update. I designed a JIG-support to ensure plug and play fitment and no boost leaks. The JIG will be from printed materials and I will try to use the base for future projects as well. Thus only the brown components will change every time according the product. I am printing the JIG as we speak so it should be ready in a few days.
    JIG POSTER .png

14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Looks good. @Dave.0 with the modes done to your mini it may be the best one to show the gains someone can get.

15. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    So today I put the billet adapter on the car. I took some photos so you can see how it looks with the air filter on.
    Keep in mind that the adapter is not anodised, just raw aluminium. I want to anodised them mainly to protect them from corrosion. You will notice that there is a small aluminium tube comming out of the top of the air filter. This is the return line from the PCV valve.
    In the photos you can see the tapered design in order to accommodate a larger air filter without creating any step in the throttle body or the filter side.
    BILLET ADAPTER AND FILTER.jpg BILLET ADAPTER on TH BODY.jpg

Attached Files:

16. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    This is looking really good - like it. Can't wait to see what the overall results are.

17. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    So the air filter is attached to the intake tube? So that is what the heat shield is for.........hmmm. Is this going to utilize the OEM air intake pipe/area?

18. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    The air filter is attached to the billet adapter and the adapter to the throttle body. Check post 26 and 29 in order to understand how it will look like. The OEM silicone hose intake area is utilised from the filter itself and the heat shield. The location of the throttle body is moved a bit in order to create a nice smooth flow. That's why a throttle cable extension is necessary.
    Below you can see a photo I took before from the frontal area of the car. The is a small tilt towards the right side as we see the picture, all of that in favour of a smoother air path.
    FRONT VIEW.jpg
    And in this picture you can see the heat shield. If you look closely you will see that the throttle body is relocated compare to the OEM position. I hope that gives you a better picture.
    3d model of heatshield in the 3d scanned file.png

19. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys, at last I have some proper updates. The new printed model of the heat shield is ready. I am so happy with it as it fits perfectly as it should be. Also I tried to smooth even more the new version compare with the old design.
    Excuse the blue duct tape ! I had to print the model in parts and I run out of glue. I will do some testing with the printed model and then I will make a carbon fiber prototype for proper testing. Good news I got another job (3 so far [​IMG] ) spending more for RnD now it will be easier. So after the carbon fiber prototype is ready, Dyno and more testing. What do you think? any comments are welcome.
    PS: the white dust is from the last 3d scan.
    heat shield printed 2.jpg heat shield printed 8.jpg heat shield printed 6.jpg heat shield printed 7.jpg heat shield printed 12.jpg

Attached Files:

20. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    #40 Precision Engineering, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    I haven't update the topic for a while (because the extra new job consumes a lot of my time and during August everyone is on holidays here!). So far I have done a bit more than 2000km with the charge pipe on and around 500km with the printed heatshield. I use the car in daily bases in order to go to my job.
    Previous weekend I removed everything and inspected the kit. I am happy to report everything looks as it should be without any marks from touching or hitting the radiator or other components . Yesterday I did a log with the heat shield. It feels like the car pulls better, the IATs seem to be lower (expected), even with aircon, 38 degrees outside temperature (around 4pm) the cars pulls so nicely compare with the OEM setup.
    The log I did was early in the morning, 6:30 am with 27 outside temperature :eek: Charge pipe + heat shield vs OEM setup.png ! All the logs I use for comparison reasons have been done with the same outside temperature. Below you can see the graphs with the charge pipe kit (with the heat shield) vs the oem setup.
    What do you think guys? To be honest first time I see 16 psi during summer in Greece !! Even during the winter I could see maximum 15 to 15.3 psi ! I really want to dyno it but with these temperatures I prefer to wait a bit!