R53 Let's Change Something !

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by Precision Engineering, May 18, 2018.

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ahhh now that makes complete sense.

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    @Dave.0 with all the mods on your Mini this may be great for your car. With the BVH, pulley, GP intercooler you have if this pipe allows more air in it would be great on your mini.

3. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yes, I agree and I like what he is doing with this design with CF.

But if I buy the Harrop TVS900 it comes with a new cnc intake pipe without the stupid OEM green gasket and a replacement pipe to replace the crap OEM plastic one.

You can see the Harrop TVS900 Kit by clicking the link below.

http://store-revolutionmini-com.3dcartstores.com/Harrop-TVS900-direct-bolt-on-kit_p_46.html

4. Precision Engineering

Precision Engineering Active Member

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    Previously I mentioned (I think) that I did a MAP adapter… So I figure out it will be nice to explain the reasons and my thinking behind that.

Why do I need a MAP adapter?

Of course I could do it without it but…

The OEM plastic adapter after all these years of use can break pretty easily…. Ask me how I know !!

I think by now I made it clear that I want the charge pipe to be as plug n play as possible. So sometimes I might go over the top with small details (that’s one reason why I am sooo late)

So let me explain my thinking:

The OEM design comes with plastic vacuum lines that are connected to the MPA adapter. The problem arise when you want to remove the line from the adapter. Then you realize that you need to make a small cut in order to free the line from the OEM adaptor!! Let’s add that the OEM plastic map adapter breaks so easily ….and I am starting thinking that this is not so plug and play after all !! Additionally if I have to destroy the OEM lines later I would not be able to use them again if for whatever reason I need to go back to the OEM setup (why? Ok I don’t know!! )

So I replaced the plastic vacuum lines with high pressure fuel lines (overkill, but I prefer to be safe than sorry ! ) And… I designed a map adapter exactly like the OEM unit. Then print the adapter by using NYLON 6.

Printed? But why ? how ?

Let me explain:

Nylon 6 is polyamide plastic. It is widely used in engineering and especially in automotive industry and it has a broad range of properties ..

Some of them are:

oil and solvent resistance, fatigue, abrasion resistance, low friction, creep resistance, high tensile strength, thermal stability, fire resistance, drawability

So it is a really nice material to work with and especially for this application.

Map Adapter .png
    So what do you think? Overkill? You like it , you dont like it ?

And a something extra ....

47300124_2242978475753170_1896406980931616768_n.jpg

This is the bypass take off....as it came out of the mold !! Yeap even that comes from a mold, everything is custom in this project. I am sure many of you will have questions now .... The bypass take off and the vacuum take off are attached to the main body . Why? Because only then you really have a truly unrestricted flow inside the charge pipe.... Slowly I will explain all the details of the project.
    I hope you enjoyed this long (maybe boring ) post !!

5. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Not overkill at all, well thought out and always safety first.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    So today I would like to discuss a bit about fitment !
    Increase tolerance and manufacturing processes are reasons for boost leaks in the OEM charge pipe design. One of the main problems is the way the OEM charge pipe seals with the green plastic gasket and the supercharger inlet. It seems like the tolerance between the gasket and the OEM charge pipe is a bit to much. That was one of the first things I wanted to address when I started designing.

Why tolerance matters?
    Tolerance is the size between functional limits, the variation of a dimension’s value and the limit that controls the gap in an assembly.

What are the advantages of a low tolerance value in the charge pipe?

1. Most importantly elimination of boost leaks.

2. A fitment that allowed the whole charge pipe assembly to operate perfectly even without support ….for more than 5000 km under hard accelerations, highway and city driving. (I drove the car initially like that, before designing the supports. Now everything is shorted out of-course and the assembly utilizes two supports-brackets )

Below in the photo you can see the jig support the printed charge pipe and the OEM unit. Just check that gap of the OEM unit ! So what I did different ?

Instead of reverse engineering the OEM charge pipe flange, the green elastic flange was used as reference for the charge pipe’s outlet. That way a perfect fit was ensured (and extremely tight of-course)
    Torelance Difference.jpg

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Very nice work.

8. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    I just finished the JIG design. It consist of 3 parts. It will be 3d printed as the charge pipe JIG and as a material I will use NYLON 6 again. I also finished with the heat shield's brackets. Laser cut, from stainless steel, 2 mm thickness. I will keep them with raw finish for now and then I will powder coated them black. Slowly it is getting there , I am getting exited !
    mix1.png 13.PNG 10.PNG 12.PNG
    20190122_073851.jpg

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    What is the CF part above for?

10. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    This is going to be the heat shield of charge pipe. It will be from carbon fiber as well. In an older post I posted the printed model of the heat shield in thr engine bay. The rest you see in the pictutes above is the jig that helps during production. With the jig I can be sure that every heat shield will be the same and that it will fit as it should be.

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ahhh I understand now.

12. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    I can uploal an assembly photo with an explode view and some comments. It will be easier to understand having the one picture.

13. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Great work! This is really looking good. Can’t wait to see it. :)

14. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    #74 Precision Engineering, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Hello guys, this time I will post something different that I did to my car.
    A friend of mine wanted to route a brake hose to feed with cold air the brakes. So he asked me if I could help. Initially I was not intended to put these in my car but after the first test fit I liked them !
    So I designed a backing plate - dust shield ( I think that's the name). Capture.PNG
    . As for material I used stainless steel 304L with 2mm thickness. CNC laser cut and tig welder for the 50mm hose adapter (again stainless steel 50 mm tube). Here some fotos as it is on my car right now. Next some laser cut brackets to support the hose and some adapters for the front bumper. What do you think ?
    20190131_121136.jpg 20190131_122010.jpg

*edit maybe at some point I should do something with the OE brakes !! :Banghead::Bag:

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Looks good! I'll send you my car next!

16. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    After 75hr of printing .... and 2 failed prints .... (75 * 3 = 225 hr in total )

Nylon 6 printed JIG for the heat shield is ready ! Some areas that look burned (darker colour) is because I had to use a lighter in order to burn any residues from the support material. Although Nylon 6 is one of the best materials for the application, it can become a bit tricky..... Next time I will design smaller components and then create a final assembly (JIG assembly).
    20190209_173437.jpg

17. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys. This time not an update on the charge pipe :( but something I think you will like it ;). A friend ask me for some seat mounts for his Bride buckets (car R53 MINI). He wanted to increase the high, he went to a local speed shop and .... lets say what they came up with .... a lethal design! just 4 aluminium cylinder below the seat rails!! As you understand when I saw that I said to my friend this too dangerous as all the load-force goes to.... 4 bolts !! In a accident the created torque will destroy immediately the bolts. OK enough with that, lets design something with engineering in mind ...

For cost reason he chosen material is steel. I measured all the main points and then I started the design. Instead of me doing the speaking I attached this foto:
    3.png Design specifications:
    Crash scenario of 200km/h with a 100 kg driver.
    Maximum deceleration 112g.
    Overall force applied to the mounting points 110000 N or 11.2 tons.
    Design and Development process:
    CAD (initial design), Stress Simulation, Finite Element Modelling, Topology Optimization, CAD (Improved design), Stress Simulation, approval, manufacturing.

I did in total 5 different designs until I came up with the perfect (for this problem) solution.
    The astonishing is the weight saving from 4.8 kg to 1.6kg and being able to have the same results in the stress simulation. You can do that by removing material but in a component such as this one (involves SAFETY !!!) removing material just like that is a bad idea.
    Let me explain:
    Removing material without knowing the force path can lead to component failure, as material in necessary locations might be removed. With topology optimization we have maximum stiffness for a specific design for a given amount of material.
    An FEM (fine element model) is created by applying the necessary boundary conditions and load case. After the optimization simulation is finished the optimized structure is then analysed. A new cad model is created following the previous optimized structure. The new design is then undergo a stress simulation to ensure that design goals have been accomplished.
    And the final product:
    20190301_192714.jpg 20190301_195547.jpg
    I still need to weld the piece on the back. That will happened on Monday. And fit them in the car !
    What do you think guys ? I hope you found it informative enough and not boring !

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  18. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    At some point I said I will create an nice assembly to illustrate as good as I can the whole kit. I am working on it, but I I want to go a bit over the top and create a really really detailed assembly. That means everything from the smallest detail has to be be designed, reverse engineered etc. Additional I just bought a domain name !! so I want to create a blog and upload technical details etc (more about that later ! ) and some nice designs :cool:
    Below you can see the cad design of the BMW fuse I am using in this kit, for the throttle cable extension. This is all classic metrology and not 3d scanning (not that if you 3dscan you save time... still you need to design the whole component). I hope you like it ! :) 20190310_103207.jpg 20190310_103114.jpg 20190310_103033.jpg

19. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    r53 throttle body 3dmodel ready ! Next is the high flow air filter (which is going to be challenging due to the metal mesh).
    what do you think guys ?

5.PNG 4.PNG 3.PNG 2.PNG 1.PNG

20. Precision Engineering

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    Some more detailed models from the charge pipe assembly.
    In this post you can see the airfilter, billet adapter and throttle body assembly. Slowly I will add up all the pieces of the puzzle in a very detailed assembly.
    1.0.PNG
    Section view airfilter-billet adapter - throttle body.
    Check that smooth connection between each part ! The bolt like part in the top of the airfilter is the PCV adapter (which ofcourse is made from billet aluminium)
    3.0.PNG
    And the air filter ! Although it seems like an easy design (it is) it took me the most time, because I run out of computational power !!!! Believe it or not is by far the most complex model due to that metal mesh around the filter element. Only this model is actually an assembly of more than 200 parts ! Which is not a lot when a you find assemblies with thousands of parts but futures like a mesh really slows down your machine !! FILTER 1.PNG
    I hope you like it ! I will update soon the assembly with more parts (brackets, cables,spacers ofcourse the charge pipe and the heatshield )