Most liked posts in thread: Lifts - Brands?

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
  2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #3 Dave.0, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    Helix, where I take my car has Bendpak 2 post lifts. :Thumbsup:

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    That's two of us becoming more of an Ohioan.

4. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Check out garagejournal.com. There are lots of threads bout lifts. Good info on what type for what kind of work.

On a two post, things to consider are if you want a floor plate or a ceiling cable. The total lifting height. Lock set intervals.

Bendpaks and forwards are popular. So is rotary if you have the budget.

Also 4 posts can double as storage stacking so you can add more toys.

Let me know when you need info on pole barn and I can give you info on the Amish guys that built mine.

5. LRG MARG

LRG MARG New Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Signmaker
    Central Ohio
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We went with BendPaK XPR9 LP. No regrets. Had limited space and height so the two post floor plate did the job.
    If we had the height would have gone with over head cables. It's the bump on the floor thing. Make sure you have the concrete in the floor right. We needed to dig out and pour new for anchoring / support.

6. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I'm sure you've already read about the concrete depth and so on, so I will only say that if you stay with an American made or at least one certified by the ALI, you'll be good to go. I prefer the cables over the top.... We have Rotary lifts at school and they've taken all the abuse the students can dish out! :Thumbsup:

7. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    If I was building a garage for the purpose, I'd get an in-ground two post. So much nicer to not have the posts in the way for doors, etc. when the car is low or on the floor. I love my MaxJax for my current setup, but if I build another garage in my lifetime, it will have an in-ground. And maybe a four post, also. :)

8. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I have all the types at school, in ground 2 post, regular and asymmetrical above ground two post, 4 post, scissors lifts - you name it. They all have their purpose and serve different jobs better.

For example, the scissor lifts we have are super easy to use and leave the whole center of the car open for work, front to back. but they don't work at all on vehicles with frames. They're easiest for brake and suspension work too.....

The two posts are great as they leave the entire underside clear, except when you're having to get in and out of the interior. The reason I prefer the cables over the top is that it's easy to trip over the hump in the floor, and it can get in the way of a jack or other equipment when you need to roll it under the car - also the bar across the top adds stability to the posts, they can't spread under load.

The two post in ground are fantastic, but I find I run into the damn posts! I have no idea why, but there they are.....

The 4 post is great for storing a car below without stretching the suspension bushings but limit what you can do as you have to raise the car off the ramps to remove the wheels.

Bottom line, what rack you buy is largely determined by what work you're going to do with it and what vehicles you'll be lifting....ideally I'd like one (or more) of each, please! :D

9. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Might as well feed the addiction. Challenger has a 2 post in-ground they sell. Complete cassette. Dig a hole and drop it in. Runs on air and water. Keeps the nanny state away :thumbs:

Not sure of the cost, Guessing $7k+, but on the Challenger site there used to be pictures of this model up and running at the MINI dealer in Louisville, KY.

10. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yep, the cassette is the right way to do it...ours at school is made this way tho I think it's a Rotary.