1st Gen R53 Cooper S Light Clutch Pedal Feel After Replacement

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by quikmni, Mar 12, 2010.

1. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    This week the dealer replaced the clutch in my 2006 MCS GP under warranty due to noise. Now I have very little clutch pedal feel. The pedal goes to the floor with very little resistance. I like a clutch pedal with some resistance, like it was originally. I do not like the current feel but it seems to engage and disengage just fine.

Anyone else have this experience after a clutch replacement and what was the resolution?

The paperwork from the dealership says they installed:
    - Twin Mass Flywheel
    - Set Remanufactured clutch parts
    - Guide Tube
    - Dowel

Due to the distance I am from the dealer, I had Mini roadside assitance pickup the car and take it to the dealer so I did not get to drive the car until it was back home and two hours from the dealer. I called the Mini SA when I received the car yesterday afternoon but he has still not returned by call.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    There is a break in period for the clutch. It is possible that one broken in there will be more "feel" to the pedal. Then again, I could be entirely incorrect in thinking this too...

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Possibly a little air in the line?

4. Detroit Tuned

Detroit Tuned Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    evertyhing
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +319 / 0 / -0
    i actually see this a lot. a very different pedal feel after a new clutch, no mater what brand or how much bleeding. it will get a bit better with time, but not much.