Question Electronics R56 Lighting issue on 2012 r56

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Jobyn, Jan 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jobyn

Jobyn New Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Been lurking here since I bought my Mini half a year ago, but I have my first issue that I need some help with.

My car had a problem for about three days where the lights would flicker when the car was turned off (no key in ignition). The issue would persist for days, intermittently, until the battery finally gave up. The problem lights were the brakes, the side panels, the interior accent (colorful) lights, and the temperature controls. The tach and speed on the dash were unaffected.

I brought the car to a Mini dealership, and they said they'd have to replace the CAS at the cost of over $1400. I take their word for it, though I think it also might be the LCM or BCM. My family mechanic said he would look at the car, but I wanted to know your opinions. Also, would I need the keys replaced? Does Mini have to do the repairs in order to reprogram the modules? I saw some information on the topic, but some was conflicting.

Thank you in advance for the help, and for a great community.

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    @Jobyn Did you replace the battery? Bad battery can cause odd problems? An independent shop can do it as long as they have the computer to do the reprograming.

3. Jobyn

Jobyn New Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The battery was checked. I brought it to my guy, and he said that he could do it for $500 or less. The dealership was charging me premium for the part and for reprogramming (as is their right to do). My guy has the computer to reprogram, so he said it wouldn't be an issue.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    That sounds great! Please let us know how it turns out. It may help another Mini owner

5. Jobyn

Jobyn New Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    So, early assessment by my guy is that the problem can't be recreated on his side. He thinks it might have been a water issue, because he found one of the plastic covers that snaps shut was not shut correctly. He's not certain, but is going to play around with it for a couple of days (through rain and a car wash) and see what happens.

6. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Let us know - that would be interesting to understand.