1st Gen R53 Cooper S Lighting Problem

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by narvarr, Nov 10, 2014.

1. narvarr

narvarr Active Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Maintenance Tech
    Rowlett, Tx (Dallas Metro)
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone, I'm new to M/A and am looking for some assistance. I have an '06 MCS that the right side park lights aren't working. The turn signals work as well as the brake lights, and tail lights. The arch lights, front park light and license plate light on the right side don't work. I've replaced the lights and they still won't cone on. Anyone else run into this or have any idea where so start looking?
    I'm hoping it's not a BCM issue but I have a feeling that that's where the issue is.

2. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I'll guess you checked fusses. I had a similar problem on a different car. Turned out to be a short from a wire rubbing through a hole in the metal. If you have a volt meter use it to look for the short.

Welcome to M/A

3. narvarr

narvarr Active Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Maintenance Tech
    Rowlett, Tx (Dallas Metro)
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the welcome! I've checked the fuses and all was good. A short was the next thing that came to mind but I figured with it being the whole right side, it would have to be something that all 4 lights had in common like a relay, the turn signal stalk or BCM. Just hoping to get a better idea of where to start looking going off of the symptoms it's showing. I'll try to get in depth with it this weekend and see if there is a short on the ground for that circuit. Hopefully it will be something simple.