Lime Rock Results

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by rsstopper, May 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. rsstopper

rsstopper New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    #1 rsstopper, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
    An exciting but disappointing day for team RSR.

Dicky Riegel and Matt Plumb combined for a 2nd place podium in a very exciting finish. Matt Plumb and Tom long in the #25 Mazda Miata waged a tremendous battle for 1st over the last 10 laps . . . The Mazda won and two factors combined for this result.

The Mini is suffering from the RPM limit imposed by Grand Am which limits our top end speed. The Mazda has shed 85 lbs due to rule changes this year. The Mini's were untouchable at Lime Rock with the sole exception at the end of the main straight where the RPM limit stopped us like we hit a wall.

Despite this handicap, Owen had passed Tom Long's teammate, Andrew Carbonell, in the #26 Miata with about 25 laps to go. Each lap, Owen would lead Andrew down the front straight with a substantial lead which would close rapidly as they approached turn one. It was a classic driver's dual and had everyone on their feet. The Mini's were heading to a 1-2 or 1-3 finish. It was going to be a Mini/Mazda sandwich.

Then . . . carnage as Carbonell ran into the driver's rear of the 198 Mini. Both cars spun at +130 MPH locked together until they slid to the grass where the Miata dug in and flipped into the air landing on the roof of Owen's car. The Mini roof was covered with tire marks. The Miata fell off to the left and barrel rolled down the guard rail. Both cars were done.

Both driver's are OK but Carbonell went to the hospital for observation. It was ugly and it was unnecessary. The Miata is a total write off and the 198 Mini is out for an extended period.

MY THEORY:

The Mini has the Aero of a shoebox . . . Carbonell attempted a high side pass and when he realized it would not work, he backed out with a plan to cross behind and to the right. The Aero of the Mini sucked him into the side of Owen's car where he wedged under the body and was trapped by the left rear wheel.

Ever been sucked into a tractor/trailer on the interstate when making a pass? Same idea.

Anyway... it was a racing incident. No place to put blame other than at the feet of Grand Am who continues to restrict our top speed as an attempt to slow us down. It's wrong and in this case dangerous. We will continue our demands to remove this unfair rule.

The 196 was on a one stop strategy and needed to pit under green They fell behind a lap. The 197 lost the pulley drive AGAIN. This time we effected a pit road repair but fell down a few laps.

At one point during practice our 4 mini's and the two Miata's held the fastest 6 lap times. Any of the four Mini's could have won this race. It was appropriate that two Mini's and two Miata's were fighting for the win. :Thumbsup:

Randy

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Thanks for the report Randy. Very glad to hear Andrew & Owen ore OK. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Also sorry not to be able to watch this race on Speed as it sounds like you put on one heck of a show.

Maybe the sanctioning body will see how dangerous your rev limit really is give you some RPM back.

Keep on trucking & go get them at the next race! Hope the Gen is kinder to team RSR.

3. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Holy Cow! Tire marks on the roof, that is a crazy wreck. Glad to hear everyone in OK, let's hope you got all of your carnage out of the way for the season! Thanks for your updates, they're a great read!

4. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    ....and we'd love to see some pics!

5. bb623

bb623 New Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Don't know what race any of you were watching. Carbonell tried to pass Trinkler on his left side and Trinkler blocked him, pushing him into the wall. I saw as they pulled Carbonell out the car and he did not even look alive. His legs looked like jello. So no, Carbonell did not get "caught under the mini's car," Owen was blocking Carbonell when he swerved left and TOOK ANDREW OUT. Owen was bound to do this though and I am not surprised a bit. Carbonell was also hospitalized and later released but believe you me, there are going to be some turned up noses and thin ice by upset fans AND Carbonell's team at Continental this weekend.

Maybe you guys should watch a video every once in a while and get your facts straight.

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    As I stated when you posted the exact same thing in another thread...

Is there video someplace? Speed did not broadcast the race nor is it on the schedule to be broadcast. I did watch Monday's race and there was no mention of any of the other races at Lime Rock that weekend. We may have to wait till the next Speed broadcast of the series to learn more.

7. bb623

bb623 New Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    as I stated in the other thread......YOUTUBE

8. bb623

bb623 New Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KQhvZ-Y5NA]YouTube - ‪26 and Mini wreck at LRP‬‏[/ame]

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for posting the video.

10. Zeyk_Shade

Zeyk_Shade Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Doesn't look like Owen "swerved" into Carbonell from that video. Also looks like they need to get rid of the rule that makes the MINIs slow at top end too.

11. bb623

bb623 New Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What does it look like then??

12. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Oh yeah, Owen was definitely swerving to block.

13. bb623

bb623 New Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What does it look like then?

14. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Looks to me like the Mazda tapped him on the left rear and caused him to spin in front of him - I didn't see the front tires on the MINI turn left.....

15. bb623

bb623 New Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #15 bb623, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2011
    [​IMG]

what does that look like?

16. bb623

bb623 New Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mazda did not touch the MINI. You would have heard it, and you are not even able to see the front tires on the MINI

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    First things first...is Andrew Carbonell OK?

To me it does look like Trinkler did move over on him. I wasn't there nor involved so it could be hard to say, but could the top end limit that the series has imposed on the MINI a possible factor in the incident? Possibly was Trinkler was trying to protect his position and waited a heartbeat or two to long to make the move.

If I may bb623, who are you and do you have an connection with Freedom Autosport? Its obvious we are RSR fans here, but it's only fair to know where you come from on this matter. Welcome to the site too, thanks for joining and sharing the commentary and video, it does help to answer some of the questions behind the incident.

18. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    That pic is taken after he's already hit him....

Watch it again, there was no swerve, the MINI didn't move till after he was hit - you can clearly hear and see the hit....also, that video has very little credibility, it's been edited substantially....

Earlier in the vid there's damage visible to the left side of the MINI, probably from an earlier incident between these two?

There's no point in armchair quaterbacking this, the only two people who have a axe to grind are the two drivers, and they need to work it out between themselves.

19. bb623

bb623 New Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thankfully an article says that Carbonell was released from the hospital and is racing at Continental this weekend. I have no affiliation with Freedom Autosport, not to say I'm not a fan but I firmly believe it was not Carbonell's fault. In no way do I believe it was intentional no matter who caused the accident. However, 2 very talents drivers battling for the lead at 100+ mph obviously makes it much easier for things like this to happen.

20. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    It almost looks like they banged wheels - the Miata bounces a bit before they really collide. It's like a little bang, the Miata goes left and the MINI starts to rotate, then the Miata hits the driver's door of the MINI, and then they start spinning and sliding together. But the Miata doesn't start spinning till he hits the door of the MINI, like the first hit was unsprung. Watch Carbonell's hands: little shake, then big hit.