2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Limited slip diff

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by landis, Mar 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. landis

landis New Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have 2011 s. I got it stuck in the snow today. I put the car into first and got out to push and noticed that both front wheels were spinning in the same direction. I thought this would only be the case if the car had a limited slip diff in it. ]I thought that the s didn`t come with a limited slip diff. Before people flip out cause I was out of the while it was running in gear, I was in my own driveway and the most it would hit if it got traction was the snow bank surriounding the driveway. Also I walked areound the back of the car in case it decided to try and run me over.

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    OK....I am flipping out. Don't get out of your car to push it, really not a smart thing to do.

Even an open diff will allow both wheels to spin if it is on snow or ice.

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: This sounds counterintuative but it's true. In negotiating snowy icey hills, TURN OFF the Dynamic Stability Control. When back on the straight and level, turn it back on. IT WORKS! Don't forget to turn it back on though. :Thumbsup:

Jason

4. landis

landis New Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have already discovered that turning off the dsc is best in snow and ice. Thanks for the tip. The dsc will actually stall the car in slippery low speed conditions

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Turn off the DSC "all the time" and drive like our fathers did.

Its not that hard and god forbid people learn how to really control a car without a computer.

Jeeze

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    ^^^ No Nannies :D