Entertainment Electronics 2nd Gen Most liked posts in thread: List what you got kicking!

1. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I don't even turn the radio on in my car, I prefer either the sounds of silence or the symphony of engine, road and exhaust noises....

I don't understand how people can ride in a car with the radio so loud you can hear it three blocks away and with the bass 'kicking" so hard every panel in the car rattles in unison.....I'm not condemming such behavior, just saying I don't get it.....well, on second though I guess I am condemming it, especially when I'm at at stop light and can't get away from it! :D

Turn it down, or put some damn headphones on! :Thumbsup:

Back in the day, a good set of speakers and a graphic equalizer were a must have in my car, now not so much....

2. david in germany

david in germany New Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    haha, just so you know, I am NOT a stop light terrorist. :) With a a Sound quality build rattling panels are a no no and mos of the time I have it cranked up the windows are up too.
    As for headphones, most places it is illegal to drive with them on. It is just too dangerous not to be able to hear things outside the car (sirens and horns and such) I do also love the sound of my engine growling but 2 hours commuting each day, it is nice to play some good music to relax you. :Thumbsup:

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Ha! Like you could hear a siren with the stereo cranked up and "kickin"! :D

My experience is limited to those cars I encounter on the street of course, and I'm not trying to derail the conversation here, so just ignore me..... :rolleyes5:

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    #5 goaljnky, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
    Alright, lets not have any music wars. Some like their in car entertainment on the extreme side. No different the those who like their rides super low.

Lets keep it clean and keep it friendly.

My stereo is stock. I am too old and too deaf to hear the difference anyway.

5. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    :D Just friendly conversation, no issues from me. :)

Some of you will not like what I have planned for some fun this summer.. 4 10" Rockford Fosgate HX2's and 1500w RMS it is just to have a little fun with some of the stuff in my audio collection.

My heart is still with sound quality though.

6. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Funny you mention that Jerry. I got fitted for a hearing aid a week or so ago and my radio sounded much better on the way home. :Thumbsup:

Jim

7. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to hear what you think about the strength of our stock alternators since it seems you're rather experienced in the ICE category of modifications. How much can it handle?

I ask because I'm a bit worried about the draw on the stock system when I put in my future sounds system on top of my in-car air compressor which already has a pretty strong draw on things.

I don't plan to go as crazy. Just one 10 and replace the factory speakers with some moderately powered aftermarket replacements.

Based on my research on realoem, the second gens had two options for alternators which are each rated slightly differently. I have no idea what designates which alternator your car receives or why there are two to begin with.

8. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ALL second Gen Minis came stock with a 150a alternator which is almost double what many manufactures put into stock cars. The mini will take (in my opinion) a solid 2kw amp without a problem. With my DDss1a running at 1 ohm I never have voltage fluctuations and it should be a rated 900-100o watts rms. Minis are over built in many areas, power supply is one of them. My 93 celica had an upgraded alternator (140a) and i can assure you it would not produce the rock solid power my mini does.

9. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. Good to hear. Guess I have nothing to worry about :D

10. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    No, nothing to worry about. :)

11. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    To maybe alllay some of Rally's fears -

I have the stock head unit feeding a digital converter splitting to Qty 2 150W Zapco Digital Amplifiers. One of the 150W's feed a pair of Hertz tweeters (in the A strut) and a single pair of Mid Ranges in the lower speaker slot in the front door. The other 150W is feeding a Hertz 10in Subwoofer located in a custom build Sub cabinet located in the boot. The Amps are located under the rear seat delete with the sub's in the rear of the car.

Complete sound proofing in doors and floor of car. Throw in a separate subwoofer control and thats the lot

Only issue is rattling some of the not as high quality as I would like interior panels. Other than that it rocks!

12. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    That sounds like a great selection of gear. Any Pics?

13. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Been meaning to add some interior shots to my Garage, let me use this as some motivation

Stay tuned

14. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I have a 30 gig iPod. I'm more concerned with quality/quantity of music, rather than high end sound. My exhaust is, well, loud:arf:, which I like, and I drive with the windows down most of the time:Thumbsup: And I sometimes sing along, which would negate a better system:lol:

Mark