LITHIUM for sale

Discussion in 'Classifieds Archive' started by drPhilGandini, Aug 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. drPhilGandini

drPhilGandini MINI of the Month May 2009

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #1 drPhilGandini, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
    LITHIUM - SOLD

Yes, the first Featured Mini is SOLD

[​IMG]
    You can check it out here on the forum, as the inaugural featured Mini.
    It's also featured in this month's Bimmer magazine (if you don't want to buy the magazine, just PM for the article.)
    No need to list the hundreds of mods on the car, nor the credentials of the owner/modifer.
    Current mileage is 36,000.
    Condition is perfect.
    I will sell the alternative wheels (Kosei Racing 17" with Falken RT615s less than 500miles on them) with the car for $800, so you can go do track events.
    Car comes with the rear seats although it's fitted with a rear seat delete and they are useless with the Sparcos in front.
    Car comes with the Bentley manual if you want to do any other modifications, but honestly, what's left to do?
    Car is located in Albuquerque, NM.
    I'm an economics professor, which means I don't make a lot of money, but I also know the value of a buck during a recession. So I want $18,000 for the car.

PM me, and I'm happy to chat or discuss details.

Thanks,
    Phil

2. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Say it aint so!
    I can't believe it.............I won't believe it!

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Woah. :eek6:

4. drPhilGandini

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's tough to let it go, but it's such a specialized car and deserves to be driven and enjoyed daily. I'm replacing with a Porsche Cayman S, so I can't justify both cars, nor can I afford both.
    The car has a lot of my $$s in it, and quite a bit of my blood (all dry). I'm surprised how well it compares to the Porsche, however it is far more of a visceral experience than the Cayman. It accelerates faster (!) but takes a little more effort to stick on the way up the mountain.

5. Longboard

Longboard New Member

May 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi Phil,

Good luck on the sale. I have been a fan of your car and style for a long long time.

Also, congratulations on the new Porsche Cayman S. I am a huge Cayman fan.

Bryan

6. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Well, someone is going to get an awesome MINI.

And yeah, I have spent some time behind the wheel of a Cayman S and I concur with your assessment.

We are going to miss you in the MINI community.

7. drPhilGandini

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know a few people have mentioned comparisons with other cars and the Mini, but for me this is the first time I've really driven another car with any sense of ownership (rather than just driving someone else's car, which is never a 100% experience.)
    A modified R53 is a surprisingly wonderful car. I say modified because what most of us have done is try to make our cars handle better, and go faster -- which are good goals for sure. Comparing my Mini to the Cayman has revealed that the Mini can be made into a very impressive car. Power to weight ratio can be drawn up to impressive values, handling is precise and provide excellent feedback. Even the balance of the car can be dialed to almost perfect. Yes, the mid-engine weight distribution of the Cayman is almost impossible to recreate, but I will miss the sweet, raw energy and thrill of the Mini. It's fun writ large, no doubt.

And I'll visit the forums just to see what yo'all are doing LOL.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Not sure if I should be sad you are selling the MINI or happy to see you get a Cayman......guess it will have to be both.

:D

Excellent choice for a replacement I must say !

And RMW tunes the Porsches too !

9. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    No way! Your MINI is my favorite "dark"-looking MINI. And all those wonderful mods!

So, wait, it isn't really clear to me why you are giving it up. :confused5:

10. Rooster

Rooster New Member

May 22, 2009
    Systems Engineer
    West Hollywood, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "I'm replacing with a Porsche Cayman S, so I can't justify both cars, nor can I afford both."

So, Dr. Phil, out of curiosity, did you also consider the Lotus before getting the Cayman S?
    Seems like it's one or the other for folks "upgrading" their Mini's...

11. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I guess I mean "why are you giving it up for a Porsche" when it seems to have been modded to be nearly on par with the Porsche?

My neighbor, who has a Porsche, always says he wished he had a MINI instead of the Porsche because the Porsche is so impractical for daily driving.

12. Rooster

Rooster New Member

May 22, 2009
    Systems Engineer
    West Hollywood, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was looking at Boxter's prior to getting the Mini. A few talks with the guys at the Porsche owners club at the AutoX did it for me. There was no way I'd be able to afford the maintenance costs for that these days... their words? "Just about everything requires a LIFT to work on."

I'm thinking a highly modified Mini does great against a bone stock Porsche. But just think of the potential the Porsche has if you have the desire and funds to upgrade her!

13. drPhilGandini

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As always, interesting comments! (I expect nothing less from this crowd.)
    The Porsche is a very different experience, and the modified R53 is an exceptional car, for sure. Honestly, I might easily admit in another 2 or so years that I made a mistake, but the bone stock Cayman is a very capable, drivable, and poised vehicle. The highly modified R53 is also extremely drivable, but I have to worry about potholes, speedbumps, rough roads, and other road hazards that a stock Cayman eats easily.
    I got the Cayman for $37k at 16k miles. I spent at least that amount on my R53 in total over 5 years. I'll take it in the shorts on the R53 resale, assuming I won't get what I am asking for it. So the Porsche is not such a bad deal as long as I realize I must pay a certain amount each year to drive a great car--gas, insurance, maintenance. Could it be more expensive than the Porsche over 5 years? I'm not so sure which one will end up the "deal."

I think the Mini is sold, so I'll be able to pay off the 2-day old loan sooner, and get to enjoy the new car.

Oh, and btw, I've already done my first mod! I performed the de-snorkel mod this morning... LOL

14. Rooster

Rooster New Member

May 22, 2009
    Systems Engineer
    West Hollywood, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great price on the car! It's amazing what's happened to car prices in the last few years... you could just barely touch a Boxster S with 60k for that price. The Caymans were at least 45-48k at the time!

Do you plan on meticulously documenting each step you take with the Cayman as well?

If so, I look forward to reading about your journey!

15. Vader

Vader New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The Cayman is a great car. If Porsche would add 100 hp it could easily be their flagship in performance. I also switched from a Cooper S to a Cayman S but after 2 years, returned to MINI. It wasn't that I didn't like the Porsche but more of the way I was treated by others. Driving a 'fancy sports car' in tough economic times attracted more contempt than compliments. Having returned to MINI, the negative attention has returned to smiles and waves. I hope you enjoy a better public reception than I did.

16. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Bottom line is that a Cayman S is one of the finest sporting platforms to be had for any money and if I could afford to play I'd have one in a second!!!! But with about triple the cost for everything its just not going to happen anytime soon... But i'll bet you'll miss the Mini... ;)

17. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the additional insight, doc and others. Doc, all the best with the new ride!

18. drPhilGandini

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #18 drPhilGandini, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
    This is my double post referred to below.
    Sorry.

19. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    twice??:lol:

20. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    He's gotta work on his post count, for posterity's sake.