LITHIUM for sale

Discussion in 'Classifieds Archive' started by drPhilGandini, Aug 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. drPhilGandini

drPhilGandini MINI of the Month May 2009

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ooops.
    I got this message to say I had to wait 29 seconds to post, so I did. Plus 18 hours and I must have forgotten to see the first posting.
    Sorry!
    Yeh, trying to get my post count up -- LOL!
    I'm interested to hear from Vader who went Mini - Cayman - Mini. I can already tell that the Cayman draws almost no attention around Albuquerque (there are lots of fancy sports cars in this town, for some strange reason), whereas the Mini was truly a head-turner. I sometimes felt a little weird being a 53y.o. guy in a suit driving a tuner low rider, and I guess I look more in place with the Cayman, but I don't expect any invitations to race while in the new car...

I already miss the Mini, darn it.

2. Rooster

Rooster New Member

May 22, 2009
    Systems Engineer
    West Hollywood, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hear you there. In my neighborhood there are always Masarattis, A8s, and Austins galore.

But I've still got one of the only modified Mini convertibles that I've come across... it gives me a little comfort while surrounded by the high dollar high HP cars!

3. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Stephen who writes the style critiques for MC2

made the exact same move, to a '10 Cayman S. If any of you haven't had the pleasure of driving a Cayman or Boxter (no matter the engine) do so. Really the chassis balance is as close to perfect as any car I've ever driven.

Matt

4. Vader

Vader New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Let me start by saying that there are MINI people and Porsche people and as hard as I tried I simply cannot be a 'Porsche person'.

I drove the Cayman in a far more civilized fashion than I ever did in the MINI but would have people flip me off for truly no reason. I had people speed up to get in front of me and then deliberately slow down apparently to pi$$ me off. Snide remarks at gas stations. Any salesman that saw my car assumed I didn't need any discounts. I found that most people I came in contact with simply didn't know enough about cars to know that the Cayman was at the low end of the Porsche line (price wise). Several of my employees thought it cost well over $100k. (the same employees would never guess that a MINI can easily be optioned to $40K)

The cost of buying and maintaining a Porsche was at the edge of affordability for me. Modding, which I truly love to do, was too damn expensive.
    So, after 2 years with the Cayman, my overall motoring experience wasn't anywhere near what I wanted it to be.

Financially, I was foolish to buy it in the first place and more so to sell it after 2 years. Honestly though, I haven't missed the Cayman or regretted the return to a MINI.

I'm not the first to do the MINI Cayman MINI jump and I probably won't be the last. Most that leave MINI never return.

If you haven't already, Do join PCA. I have always been treated well by PCA members even while attending a PCA DE in a MINI.

I know that you will enjoy the Cayman driving experience, I truly hope the remainder of the Porsche experience is everything you need it to be.

5. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I owned

an 84, I think, 944 for six tanks of gas. I can honestly say no one thought I was rich in that! ;)

It too had great balance. Torsion bars were tired, as were the dampers, but one of my techs had always wanted one of them so I sold it to him for the same $1750 I bought it for.

Matt

6. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    My coworker drives an '08 Cayman S. That car is a beast on the track. I can't tell you how many times we've watched 911 drivers walk up and comment on how well balanced the Cayman is.

The MINI's quick, but it's still a twitchy short wheelbase car with a peaky blown engine and the aerodynamics of a toaster. And don't get me started about the seats. I mean, I love my car but I can be brutally honest, too. The Cayman is two steps up in refinement, quality, and performance. The highway gas mileage is pretty comparable to the R53, too.

Once you get that Cayman broken in, I'm sure you'll come to appreciate it. Accelerate through an on-ramp in 2nd gear - it's a solid push on your kidneys, and up around 5,000 rpm the exhaust note changes and if you listen closely, you can hear the horsemen of the apocalypse thundering behind you. Shift into third near redline, and by then you're probably up around 80 mph. The speed comes almost too effortlessly.

7. drPhilGandini

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Despite all the chat here, the car is still for sale.
    Thanks.

8. T8rChick

T8rChick Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Paying for new tires! The wheels were a deal!!!
    Oak Cliff, TX
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
  9. drPhilGandini

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The car is sold, and thanks for all the posts.
    It went to a previous Mini owner who missed the car so much, he had to get another.
    I am sure he will enjoy my car.

btw, it's about to get another feature article in Modern MINI magazine, out of Britain.

10. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
  11. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Happy for you and them... but little sad too. :sad:

12. T8rChick

T8rChick Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Paying for new tires! The wheels were a deal!!!
    Oak Cliff, TX
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Congratulations on the sale!

13. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Congrats Phil, sorry to see Lithium go though...........:(

14. cal330ci

cal330ci New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Automotive Technician
    Vancouver BC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This car gives me a couple ideas for an R53 project, LOVE the Dark Silver with Black trim, wheels and seats