Live Updates from MOTD

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 8 (April 28 - May 2, 2010)' started by Nathan, Apr 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Ryan, getting 403 errors on those links.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    More G4 pics...

R56 Wing

[​IMG]

Detail on R56 wing...keep in mind this a prototype so ignore the large bolt.

[​IMG]

R53 Wing upright detail

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One Upright installed, the leg on the glass uses 2 sided sticky tape

[​IMG]

Prototype wing installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the designer. Note how the curve of the wing mimics the curve of the roof, sure makes it look a lot better than those other straight wings out there.

[​IMG]

3. Uncle

Uncle New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thank god that the R56 wing is a prototype and hope it doesn't make it to production. I'm sorry but mounting a wing on a wing looks like a$$.

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I like the R53 wing:yesnod: MUCH better than the R56 wing "prototype":prrr:.

5. Newbs49

Newbs49 New Member

May 23, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the R53 pic's. Do you have any pic's of the other products?????

6. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Not to be a party pooper, but I've been disappointed every time I've checked this thread today and not found any updates about the Dragon. Can you move the wing stuff to the vendor forums? Still want to hear from people about their thoughts on MOTD 2010. Maybe there's more of that in another thread that I missed, in which case please clue me in. Some of us are looking for interesting stories and comments to cure a case of the Mondays...

7. Newbs49

Newbs49 New Member

May 23, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I guess you should have went. :D

I believe you'll see more updates when people get home and have time to rest. They'll most likely start posting tonight when they get back from work. :Thumbsup:

8. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Well, this was our first Dragon, and we had a blast. The weather was virtually perfect, the Dragon was better than I could have hoped, we didn't get any tickets, etc. we also got to put some faces to names and meet some new people like Nathan, Chad from Detroit tuned, Joel from G4, Ryephile, etc.

Regarding the Dragon, we nearly skipped driving it at all on Saturday despite buying an HD GoPro camera from Way because we heard the cops were just waiting at the bottom and handing out tickets at random, essentially. Well, we decided to go anyway, and sure enough, they were both waiting at the bottom (no cops on the road)... But they weren't even paying attention. Someone said they were fishing, but I didn't bother to confirm that. Either way, we got a good return run in after that.

Another interesting event for us happened at the Brew Swap. When my friend and I sat down in the plastic lawn chairs used at the back of the rec hall, both of us agreed they were of questionable capability as far as holding up our 200+ lb of weight. Well, sure enough, my buddy's chair basically exploded out from under him about halfway throiugh the swap, and everyone in the whole place (it seemed) turned around and clapped. Even better, my wife stood up out of her chair and was laughing so hard that my buddy acted like it was her that had actually broken the chair. Xiek jokingly asked if we had signed the waiver, and Chad made sure everyone was OK. They should add falling out of or breaking chairs to the waiver next year even if just for fun. Oh, and we kept a little piece of the chair as a souvenir also.

Hopefully that satisfies some of the desire for Dragon stories... Back to the Group 4 aero stuff. :)

When I was talking to Joel about Cooper/Cooper S hood/grill differences and the aero stuff for R56s, he mentioned that they were probably going to work on a spoiler option that would mount to the more simple Cooper sport-package spoiler, which I agree would look a little less like a wing on top of a wing because it's just an extension of the roof effectively.

9. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, you're right, I probably should have gone. I'll be patient, there isn't much up on the local THMMC forums, either.

Thanks Blainestang.

10. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Call me crazy but I vote to keep the Dragon closed at the top, no tractor trailers, no Bass boats, campers or otherwise slow moving road blocks. Heck late Saturday Blimey and I went for a run up the Dragon knowing that there would be two cops on it, as we went up we met both coming down with their lights on. At the top we talked a bit and started back expecting to see them on the way down, at the gate at the bottom we realised that they were gone and when we quickly turned around an almost empty, police free Dragon laid before us.... Lest we say the trip to the top again was a BLAST and on the return trip Paul coasted into the dragon store out of gas and I was on reserve. Best ever and probably a once in a lifetime run on the Dragon!!!!:Thumbsup::Thumbsup::D:D

11. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    ^ all TRUE. We had a 100% clean, no traffic, LEO-free run from the state line to Tabcat Bridge. And we took full advantage of it.

And I coasted in neutral from the state line all the way down to the gas pumps at the Store, on nothing but fumes. I burned 1/3 of a tank in 40 miles on that run.

12. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Epic Dragon run my friend!!!!:devil::D

13. MINIBee

MINIBee New Member

May 4, 2009
    Senior Video Producer, St. Petersburg Times
    Tampa, FL
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Yup, we were all worried about the rockslide ruining our fun and it ended up being the best ever. As long as you kept track of the LEOs it was like and amusement park ride out there. Open from 8 AM to 8 PM for your fun and pleasure, and definitely an "E" ticket ride.

14. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    +1 what he said :Thumbsup:

15. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Well it was yet another dragon where I didn't get onto the Dragon. I was able to make one run in a customer's 53 on Hellbender, which to me is the perfect road--even better than 129. Nonetheless, I had a good time, and really enjoyed the fact that I didn't have to lie in puddles to work on cars this year.

16. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Hellbender is my favorite, too.

Other than Rhymer's Ferry. Which is REALLY my favorite.
    :D

17. JLJWEIS

JLJWEIS Member

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    It was ALL my favorite! I'm coming back next year! :)

18. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

19. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Hey "That Guy", what about that really cool dude that ran 200 + miles round trip to Atlanta and back in on Thrusday morning to take you to get $ 1,000 worth of parts for your car. I heard he even sacraficed his passanger side mirror and cap ($160.00) on the trip.

No props for that cool dude? :confused5: :nonod::rolleyes::devil::frown2:

20. track-toy

track-toy MINI of the Month

May 4, 2009
    Test Driver
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great looking car. This is Graham from G4. You and I both have the JCW rear wing. This past week since the Dragon I have been working on a 2nd level wing for the JCW setup on my car. I have made a lot of progress. Using the outboard stanchions that you saw on my car, I now have a foam core prototype wing with added downforce ready for fiberglass. This will be an adjustable element. I'm probably 2 weeks away from completion and then there is track testing. Just a heads up.

Graham