Living in a Swing State

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by Nathan, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Oh my gosh!

I've never lived in a swing state before during a presidential election. Maryland is decidedly liberal and Texas, conservative. That meant the candidates did not spend huge amounts of time and money bashing each other. Here in Ohio, which must be swing state central, the airwaves are full of campaign commercials. Each one is more and more off putting as well. So much negativity.

While I pretty much DVR everything I want to watch on broadcast TV I still have to fast forward through the glut of head banging.

I can't wait for the election to be over and we can get back to inane drug advertising.

2. JMC40

JMC40 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    O...H...!!
    Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    ^^^Amen, brother...

3. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    #3 KittyMini, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
    I wouldn't mind the swing state..... PA votes the way it votes regardless of popular vote. Makes you not even want to bother voting since it doesn't seem to matter :frown2:

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I wish there was a way to show them I've voted already* and the commercials should not be shown to me.

Now that would be grand..

*Texas Absentee Ballot already mailed in.

5. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    We get 5 or 6 calls a day in nh...polls, about 5 pieces of mail, adds, and nonstop adds on tv....that and now they are actually knocking on our door....almost every day....go figure.

6. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I do not agree with Obama about much, but during the last debate he made a comment about too many TV ads. I couldn’t agree more. I live in Northern Virginia; I can’t imagine what Ohio must be like.

7. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    We're also considered a swing state (IA) and we seem to be completed inundated with telly and radio commercials, robo- and real human phone calls, and repeated physical presence of the candidates...

...and we're not even close to the electoral vote slot machine jackpot represented by OH and FL. I can't even imagine how bad it must be for you folks. :frown5:

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I don't know about robo calls here as I have a TX based Cell number. I've been told the volume is horrible. 8-10 calls per day. I'd be leaving the phone off the hook in that case.

It's not only the national offices that are inundating the airwaves, The local campaign attack adverts are particularly nasty. Most all of them are not from the candidates but from local PAC's that do not have to answer to anyone.

Nov 7 can't come fast enough.

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I hang up my cell phone for calls and txt several times a day. My home phone rings at lease 3 times a day.

Please someone pass a law to stop robo calls and election calls.

When I do get a real person calling I ask them who they want me to vote for. When they answer I say well by you calling me you just confirmed my vote for the other guy FOR BOTHERING ME AT HOME !

10. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I'm in Ohio. 8-10 on the home line. Another 4-6 on the office line. We dvr everything to skip the ads. 2/3 of the commercials are political ads. I would love to not live in a swing state.

11. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    I've gotten Lil' B.A.D. to yell "Mittens" every time the home phone rings because we have mostly been getting calls from the Republican candidates. It is working perfectly to annoy M.A.D. (who I blame for all the calls in the first place)!

12. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Good or bad it is part of the process, I'm one for outlawing all telephone solicitations of every kind.

That said there is much at stake over the next four years, so a few weeks of ads on TV and hanging up on telephone callers is a small price to pay compared to the last four years....:(

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Letterman has Rachel Maddow on last night. Irregardless of her political leanings she does have some interesting insight. She was saying how it's come down to the race to be president of Ohio and how my new home state is the key.

minimark, I know it is all part of the process and we should should be glad we have this process as democracy, even our odd US version of it, is still probably the best system out there. But I still say all the negativity could be redirected to something positive. Then again, I think we all know I have this rose colored, glass is half full, cheery outlook on things.

14. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    I disagree. The money spent on these campaigns is obscene. Just think about how all the money spent on all the campaigns and conventions could have been re-invested into the economy. I'm not just saying this election year, but across the last decade or more.

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    It is invested in the US Economy.

Just think of all the people involved here. You have ad agencies, creative folks, camera operators, boom operators, cue card guys, actors, writers. Plus the ad buys at all these local TV and Radio stations. The sign guys that make all these signs people stick in their lawns. it goes on and on. These campaigns keep a lot of people employed for a short time.

16. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    I've never gotten a single call?

17. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I've found it convenient living in SC and voting in OH.... my ballot should arrive any day now!

18. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Good point, I wasn't thinking about the fact that politician's real view of the future is only as long as the term of the office they are campaigning for.

19. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully all you "swing state" dwellers will get out and vote to reverse the trend. As for us here in the central valley of sunny CA, we don't really have a voice..... That seems to rest with the folks in the Bay and parts of SoCal. Certainly not my voice of reason.

20. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    I place very little value in anything Rachel says.

It would be nice to see all the candidates talk about their plans only, but alas Mary Poppins was a fictional character and we both know it is much easier for people to find faults in others than to find a solution themselves.

Our system as flawed as it is, is the best there is if one is to uphold the first amendment. Free speech means that we will always have to hear others say things we disagree with or in another term, democracy in action.