Long time admirer.. first time owner.

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by Calamity Jesus, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Calamity Jesus

Calamity Jesus New Member

Jun 8, 2010
    NW NC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I registered over on NAM and then read several enthusiastic recommendations from MINI owners over on NASIOC to check out MA. Here I am, so far I'm liking what I see.

I've loved the new MINIs since they came out and now I finally own one. My wife and I decided to consolidate our vehicles (since we carpool together 4 days a week anyway) so on Memorial day we traded in her '03 Miata SE and my '08 STI on a 38k mile 2007 MCS with the JCW kit. So far this car has been the perfect marriage of our previous cars. The hatch practicality and turbo fun of the STI and the handling zeal and economy of the Miata. We're loving it!

DSC_0004-1.jpg

I knew before we bought it that the car was slightly modded, but we didn't notice the blow-off valve sound until we nearly home with it. Good sound insulation on these little R56s! :D The JCW catback may have been drowning out some of the noise on the test drive.

The mods that I'd noticed on the dealer lot were the ALTA silicone pipes (hot intake pipe between turbo & intercooler and from the hard post-intercooler pipe to the throttle body) and a block-off plug for the "noisemaker". When we started hearing the loud blow-off valve sound I took the intake off to see if the previous owner had installed an aftermarket blow off valve. The filter box has the JCW logo (as expected) and there's an ALTA foam filter inside (not expected!). I can't see the throttle body from the top but I'm assuming there's an integrated OEM bypass/blow-off valve built in? There's a nipple sticking out of the throttle body assembly facing the driver's side of the car.. but nothing is on it. It doesn't seem to be drawing or pushing any air when the engine is running. Anybody know what that is? :confused5:

So, here's my main question: is the stock blow-off noise that loud when the noisemaker and turbo-intercooler muffler have been removed, or did the previous owner install an aftermarket blow-off valve that I can't see without crawling under the car? It can be clearly heard 50' from the road while driving by and lifting off the throttle.. "Pshhhhhh *chortle*".

I'd prefer to have it run silent and not vent to atmosphere. Any help is appreciated.

Also, I have some gashes in the upper (into throttle body) ALTA pipe from a screw on the cylinder head. I read over on NAM that this was normal and I'm assuming that's why ALTA doesn't sell those anymore. I'm planning to replace that pipe with an NM version in the next few months.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Thats a good looking MINI, I've always been a fan of the Chile Red/White combo with white wheels.

Don't know much about the questions asked as I'm more a 1st gen MINI guy but I'm sure others will chime in.

Welcome to the site too, thanks for becoming a member.

3. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Welcome!

It sounds like you do have the aftermarket BOV. I have a R56 with the noisemaker removed and there is not the sound you are describing

Also note of caution on the Alta silicone intakes. There is/was a lengthy thread on NAM about holes developing in these from sharp objects in the engine bay. If you notice a loss in boost that maybe a culprit.

The foam filter is a standard swap out from the OEM paper filter for the JCW Airbox

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Welcome to M/A.....and so the MINI family grows.

Attach some pictures of the T/B nipple, so we can see what you describe.

OEM has a muffler attached to the inlet side of the IC. If this is missing, then it could be louder. It sounds (Ha Ha) like the previous owner may have eliminated this when the switch was made to the silicone tubing (between the turbo and the IC).

5. Calamity Jesus

Calamity Jesus New Member

Jun 8, 2010
    NW NC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll be sure to add some under-hood pics and a video. Thanks, folks