2nd Gen R55 Clubman Look what Gimli got-Part 2

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by lotsie, Aug 9, 2010.

Tags:
  1. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Well if you read part one you know we had a JCW tuning kit installed on Friday. If you read the whole thread you know that later that day the clutch fried.

Needless to say we did not have a great weekend, fretting about the clutch, and the fact that we leave for MITM tomorrow morning. We read everything there is to read about clutches going bad in 2nd Gen cars, and the horror stories people had with dealers.

Well we showed up at the dealer right at 7 this morning, and the service manager all ready had the work order done, and said we will have Gimli back by the end of the day, no ifs ands or buts.

When we reread the invoice from the kit install, we noticed a note at the bottom from the tech. that he noticed the clutch was slipping, but he failed to mention it to the service manger, and I did not notice it when I signed off on the work, as there were no issues mentioned by the service manager. He would not have let us leave with the car, nor would we have taken it if we had known this. Needless to say, I think a certain tech. will be cleaning the underside of MINIs with a toothbrush today.

So by the time we get to Winter Park, the new clutch will be nicely broken in, the dogs won't have to ride in the back of Poco, who I think was not looking forward to hauling us up mountain roads:lol:

Mark

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Cool beans. As miserable as a bad dealer can make a life, a good one can make your day.

3. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    You got that right. MINI of St.Louis has always been good to us, and with our club discount, their pricing is reasonable.

Mark

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I have the same relationship with Bob Smith BMW. They have always been great to me on both cars and the few times where they were less then perfect, they went out of their way to get there.

Of course I know a certain person who was overly demanding and difficult with them. Got placed on their unofficial "do not cooperate" crap list. Can't say I really blame the dealer.

5. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I think if you go in yelling and screaming, your over all experience with a dealer will likely not go well. It helps when the wife gets her nails done the same colour as the car, and looks sad her car is broke:lol:.

Mark

6. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I also think your approach has a lot to do with how they treat you.

That said, there seem to be some dealers who just don't understand customer service - and I'm grateful Baron in KC is not one of them. They've been exemplary for me and anyone I've sent in there.

7. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    This just gets better. Service manager just called, Gimli will be done at 3:Thumbsup:, and he will also have new front brakes:D

Mark

8. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Got him back, and the JCW tune is WAY more impressive when the clutch is not slipping:yesnod:. Seems I blew it up real good going up that hill, flywheel was scored from all the shrapnel.

Mark

9. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Good to hear your back on the road!

10. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Just take it easy tomorrow Mark and don't try any of Nate's tricks. Have a good trip.

Jim

11. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    He is going to have a perfectly broken in clutch, we are 2 miles from the highway, then it's 600+ miles to the first overnight stop.

Mark