2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Loud Multiple High Intensity Pre-Ignition knocks?!

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Systemlord, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Lately when driving my 2007 MCS and it's not fully warmed up I sometimes notice LOUD multiple pre-ignition knocks when I step on the throttle say 75%, I'll say about three of them! It's like high intensity lightening in a bottle, when you hear it, it scares the crap out of you!

Now I know I should wait until it's fully warmed up to be going anywhere near WOT, but none the less it's something I have noticed and perhaps it could bite me later, a sign of things to come. These high pitched sounds get your attention if you're near the car when it happens.

I have had all the timing chain components replaced by my Mini Dealer ($1627), dealer mechanic explained when asked, that he adjusted the timing mechanically on the cams, then checked it when plugged into the computer for programming the timing via the ECU.

My only guess with my limited knowledge is carbon build-up on the intake valves, I recently had my valve cover replaced (also PCV since it's integrated) and no longer need to add any oil between 5000 mile oil changes when before I needed a quart every 800 miles.

Your help is appreciated!

Regards,
    Systemlord.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    If you have enough carbon, your valves could possibly not be closing all the way. You may be hearing a backfire. If that is what it is you are going to burn a valve or possibly drop one into a piston. I recommend you get to the dealer & have this checked out. If you think $1627 was bad wait for the new engine bill. :eek6:

Good luck & let us know what the cause is. :fingerscrossed:

3. Austinsynthetics

Austinsynthetics Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 18, 2012
    Amsoil Distributor and Registered Nurse
    California
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I need to agree with Crashton! I was having similar symptoms, and DID burn a valve in # 3 cylinder. Don't wait and I wouldn't drive it. I had a lot of carbon build up!!! Good luck

4. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    #4 Systemlord, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013

I knew I would have needed a carbon cleaning eventually, just didn't think it would be at 49,000 miles. What happens if the dealer walnut blasts when there is carbon on the valve seal or does this kind of thing happen a lot? I could see excess carbon on the back side causing issues with the valve closing fully. Is this what that is, the carbon on the back side of the valve?

Thanks,
    Systemlord.

5. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I don't know for sure if it is carbon, but it sounds like it to me. It could be something else, you need to rule out carbon as a cause. I do know if it is carbon you can have very expensive damage to your engine. If you post where you live someone may be able to help you find a good mechanic who can help in your area.

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    You do use high octane gasoline.... Don't use anything else or you could have detonation as a result with the turbo engine...

7. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if it could be a bad knock sensor. The Engine Control Unit wouldn't get the information it needs to retard the ignition in a pre-ignition situation.

Dave

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    1. Stop driving
    2. Get your car looked at by the dealer.
    3. Get the carbon job done and hope you did not burn a valve or crack a piston.

9. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Could be spark knock, but from the OP's description it sounds like much more. Either way it ain't good.

10. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I have found out that the pre-ingition only happens when engine is only warm in "Sport Mode", optimal engine temperature is not yet reached. I think it's definitely carbon causing the problem, is there any way I can get this covered under my 6-year warranty?

I Live in Mission Viejo Southern California.

I have always used Shell V-Power 91 octane

11. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Does the 2007 MCS even have a knock sensor?

12. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    All cars with an ECU have a knock sensor.

Dave

13. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Can this explain the sound I'm hearing? One way or the other it's time to get the walnut blasting done now!

14. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I'm having the walnut blasting done on Monday morning by Irvine Mini in SoCal, don't know what performance improvement to expect...? I have 49,664 on the odometer and she drinks about a half of a quart of oil every 1500 miles since I bought her in March. Runs like a champ which is why I bought it!

15. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    #15 Systemlord, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    Periodic backfire inside intake manifold!

Here's an update, I had the intake valves walnut blasted on Monday at the Irvine Mini dealer and boy was it bad! Even after replacing all of the timing chain components, new valve cover and a carbon cleaning of the intake valves I still have periodic pre-ignition. It doesn't happen very often only on occasion, in hot or cold weather. The only time I don't hear them is WOT when driving my Mini hard.

Yes I'm using 91 octane gas from Shell, Shell V-Power .

Thanks for all your help!

Thank you, Systemlord.

16. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    It's been awhile since I updated this thread, I found out why I'm getting pre-ignition. I ran a couple of bottles of BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner, the area in the center of the pistons directly under the spark plugs is spotless! When I ran one of those 5mm diameter cameras down into the cylinders I can see carbon around the outer edge of the piston, I'm going to have a BG service center perform a 3 stage cleaning method similar to a meth injection system on my MCS. I'm looking at getting a meth injection system probably this Summer.

Systemlord

17. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Good idea going with Meth on an R56 it cost more than an Oil Catch cans but will keep your motor very CLEAN. You also will not need all the other cleaning products.

18. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: My son told me that y'all don't have 93 octane in CA. I'm sorry for that.:nonod:

Jason

19. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    You ever wonder why CA does have or allow 93 octane?

20. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I don't like to think California.... Makes my head hurt on some of the things that goes on in that state...