Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S LSD or not?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by UKXPAT, Nov 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    i still read all these and think something different. But that aside, I agree, go for the LSD!

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    This is true!

And a HUGE difference is price on the LSD from Quaife for the R56.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Because there are fewer of those trannys to spread the cost around, whereas the Ford/Getrag unit was in a huge amount of Euro Fords (and others).

And for about $600 it is a great value. My local Ford dealer has checked on availability and tells me they are still in good numbers.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    That is good to know Scott. If I wear mine out I'm sure it will be more cost effective to swap in a Torsen rather than rebuild the oem slip.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Wasn't there another alternative out there? Phantom Grip I think it is called. Anyone use this and have comments?

6. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan New Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Phantom Grip... Is a Pseudo lsd. I've read it isn't very good for the lifespan of your trans.

7. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Yea everthing I've read or heard is that you get what you pay for with this...not much.

8. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

Badly misinformed!!

The Phantom Grip is a "disc-type limited slip" and "locker" devise.

To make it plain and simple...there is no more additional wear then any other differential devise even comparing the stock none LSD for wear. In every case where there has been an issue with the Phantom Grip it was due directly with not following the instructions and warning from Phantom Grip during use and installation.

"Disclaimer of Warranty"---WARNING: Installation of any Phantom Grip component or kit should be performed by persons experienced in the installation and proper operation of transmission and drivetrain products. Purchasers expressly affirm they are relying upon their own skill or judgment to select and purchase Phantom Grip limited Slip conversion kits. Warranties are void against incorrect installation, or modifications done to Phantom Grip units.

Like all toys if you don't know what you are doing when you play with them, don't cry when they break.

The phantom Grip is a very good alternative to other pricey LSD and differential locking devises with no parts to wear out needing replacing. It is the only differential locking devise carrying a "lifetime" Warranty that I know of?
    See here information about the PG and how it works.
    Phantom Grip

Phantom Grip installed in a MINI differential.

[​IMG]

9. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I got an LSD and love it. I'm doing some autocross and several track days a year and it has made a big difference. With your bhp I think you should get one, especially since you're doing the clutch. The Quaife and the Ford one are very effective and reliable.

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Lynn, you state there are no parts to wear out, but doesn't the PG work by applying pressure from the plates. Wouldn't these plates see wear that over time would need to be addressed?

11. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Good question.

No. The wear would be in the gears in the differential not the Phantom Grip. And this would be normal wear of the gears under condition introduced.

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I guess I am confused on how it works then. Went to the website and the description is rather vague. Anyone want to explain how this works?

13. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Somewhere on this forum there is a thread that was started showing the simplification of operation a basic differential. This may help you understand better about how the differential works at which time try going back and re-reading the "How it works" on the Phantom Grip website.
    In a nut shell, when you stop the apposing rotation of the differential spider gears both tires & wheels will begin rotating in the same direction at the same time.

14. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    That is what I thought originally, so doesn't it work by applying friction to the spider gear and eventually locking the two sides together?

Isn't this causing some wear to the PG and gear surface?

Forgive me if this is not clear, I am trying to clarify for me the operation of the PG.

15. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    It's my understanding that gear type slips are very durable. Everything with moving parts will wear, but the gear types seem to be pretty bullet proof. Clutch types like the OEM will wear out faster than the gear types. More power = more wear.

My take & worth exactly 1 donut.

16. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    But the PG is a spring loaded block that installs between the axles and causes the spider gears to bind up thus causing the axles to both rotate. Lynn said it isn't a wear item. I don't think the wear is substantial, but it would still be subject to some wear.....right?

17. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    I think Lynn might be saying that in comparison to the actual tranny/differential that there is no wear? That the tranny would long die before the PG plates would wear out?

18. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    hmmmm.....maybe.

19. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    There is no parts on the Phantom Grip that will wear out.

20. jhiggs26

jhiggs26 New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I installed a phantom grip in my old stock open diff abter I installed an OBX lsd in my MINI. I sold it to a fellow in Arizona. I think he's a member here or on another forum...I don't know if he ever installed it.

Jeremy