Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S LSD or not?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by UKXPAT, Nov 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. UKXPAT

UKXPAT New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wanted to thank everyone for their input. I guess I need to get the LSD when I do the clutch! I think I am inclined to go with the Cusco unit.

2. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    :confused5: Not sure what you are saying here? You said you installed a PG in your old diff, but then you said that you sold it to a guy.

3. jhiggs26

jhiggs26 New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I'm just saying that I don't know how it(the PG adapted stock diff)worked out for him or not. I think his name was ChocolateAZ or something.

I did have to relieve the medial side of the spiders a bit as they bound when installed with PG pack. The case hardening on the diff pin was also worn through so I'd just go with an aftermarket lsd.

Jeremy

4. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    I have the Cusco and I love it. Zero complaints. I have seen some bad things with PG kits in the VW world and these were installed professionally.

5. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    In the cases were modification beyond the normal installation of any Phantom Grip in a stock carrier needed to be done it was directly due to the stock parts not withing design specification.
    VW transmission that had concerns with the PG were due to worn out gears and dogs not the PG. The cars were being used in competition racing and most likely those questionable parts should have been considered for replacing before other modification such as the introduction of a differential locking devise. I am aware and saw the damage of a few differentials which was not caused be the Phantom Grip. I know this sounds like I am repeating myself but the careful following of the installation instructions and warnings negates any problems with using the Phantom Grip.
    I think that many have a difficult acceptance to something so simple a devise and low retail cost to feel that it actually could work.

6. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    No problem Lynn....any knowledge is appreciated :cornut:

7. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    You are wrong on all accounts here.
    The transmissions I saw fail were used for auto x, they were properly rebuilt with genuine VW parts, the failure was the PG. When it broke it of course caused some damage.
    I am not saying that the PG is junk, however I prefer to put my money on something that was designed for a job and after seeing what I have seen on the VW world, I put my $$ on a peloquin for my VW and a Cusco on my MINI. I was merely offering my experience, please do not discount or make it sound like the transmissions were worn and defective and then the PG was installed, it was not the case and the PG was at fault in these instances. The same tech rebuilt transmissions and installed Quaife / Peloquin differentials and no breakage ensued.

8. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    WolfGTI
    You have an assumption that I respond with information pertaining to your 2nd hand experience with a PG? However if you care to post the picture of the failed Phantom Grip perhaps we can resolve this? There has never been a failed by way of defective Phantom Grip in any VW differential. I was a dealer for them for over 12 years before selling/installing in MINIs. While I am no longer retailing I have enough background sales and practical experience with the product to understand and know that it is a good product. I am also aware of complaints addressed with past VW PG installs. Please contact you friends and ask them to explain what PG advised and recommended about their experience with them. You may find the story a little more complex than your simplified version. Don't you find it funny that I knew that the VW issues were in race cars? Now how do you think I knew that? Clairvoyance?

9. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    #49 WolfGTI, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
    Nitro - considering the tech is the same tech that works on my VW and I spend alot of time at his shop, I also know the car owners as they are friends of mine. I doubt you know them, their cars are street driven with auto cross on weekends - hardly what you would call race cars. PS - I've been involved in the VW scene for over 15 years now so I am hardly going on say so.

And for the record PG didn't do jack regarding the diffs - they said it was installer error. Pretty much a cop out considering the same installer has installed over fifty quaife differentials in VW's if he has installed one. The cars with the quaifes have not had any differential issues or transmission issues; all transmissions were rebuilt to the same degree in the shop..

PS - None of my friends would recommend or buy PG again.

I have nothing against PG in a MINI, I am merely citing my experiences with the product in another platform, for my $$$ there are much better engineered products out there.

10. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    Having owned a Phantom grip in a Mini , a quaife in a Mini........ a Cusco in a Mini........ and a OS GIKEN in a Mini............. I would say it qualifies me to say............

buy the OS first
    Cusco 2nd
    Quaife 3rd
    PG...........

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ok before this gets out of hand again lets take a look at the origional question.

"This is not a question about a recommendation about different manufacturers of LSD units, already done that, but more whether it's worth having one at all?"

I say Yes it is worth having one.

For me I have the OEM LSD for now but, when I do need a clutch I will be going with the OS Giken clutch and LSD.

12. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    +1 :yesnod:

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Going back to that original question.

YES, it is worth having.

14. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    If you are performance modding your MINI increasing the engine output and need to go into the area that necessitates the removal of the transmission and you have the budget to do so, an investment in one of the differential locking devises would be good decision.

15. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    Agreed - if you increase power or heck even if you are stock, if you have to pull the tranny to put in a new clutch and can afford to put in a LSD differential then you should, because it really changes how the car feels for the better.

16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    YAY we all agree....... a happy ending.

17. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yeah......
    But uncomfortably close to the edge of the table.:eek6:

18. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    LOL... I have been watching this... I need one!!

with the 1-wheel wonder, the more power you make, the slower you can launch from a stop, or pull out of a hard tight turn. ( lift the inside tire and there goes...the go!!)

I am pretty much getting there, if not been there for a while!! LOL just need the freaking money!! ( like the rest of us!!)

Just me.................................

Thumper

19. UKXPAT

UKXPAT New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Another question....will the LSD reduce torque steer?

20. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    yes :Thumbsup: