Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S LSD or not?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by UKXPAT, Nov 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Most of the guys I run with seem to like Quaife for their aftermarket LSDs. I don't know much about them or OS Giken.

2. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Off topic went 3 post back?

Any locking device that is adjustable can be tailored to most any driving condition within reason. But any needed adjustment(s) are not easy and require the transmission be removed. You can see that this is not for the faint of heart or pocket book. Most that buy these differential locking devises for non track vehicles use never realistically get them adjust for optimal use? And comparing one to another is not fundamentally factual because of those custom adjustments specific to each vehicle.
    Did this answer your question?...Most likely not because you raise a liability/safety question that I doubt any supplier/manufacture of these locking devises will directly give either? Basically on a four wheel vehicle no one wheel under normal circumstances should be lifting. :smilewinkgrin:

3. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Lynn, your answers are way to PC now :lol:

4. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    #84 k-huevo, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
    Outside of construction differences, the Torsen unit imparts a small amount of under-steer, and a minor disparity between wheels in torque applied.

The Torsen type won't behave completely like on open differential.

The OS LSD may make a little noise at full lock like when entering a driveway, during parking lot maneuvers, or figure eights. Some report a noise, some don't, I've not heard it; it may be the result of gear box fluid choice. I regularly drive a 180 degree turn on an incline while accelerating, I definitely felt a difference (I own a Quaife, I sell and install OS Giken). The OS Giken Super Lock LSD is superior to the Torsen type, the decision comes down to how much is that superiority worth to the user.

5. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    not always to worry about noise....

There is a very good point mentioned about noise and the different locking devises. The amount of wear on shared operating components also the direct effect different fluids/additives have on these locking devises can cause some interesting noises?
    There are the pro's and cons to all the current available differential locking devises The end user like with every performance parts should choose the best application for their personal driving adventure.

6. 00zero

00zero New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Engineer
    Pittsburgh. Pa
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It seems most everyone lives in desert states but ill ask anyways :D

What about handling loose conditions (snow, and dirt)?

i know that one can left foot brake to get to torsen to engage when there is little grip on both tires in snow.

How does this compare to the OS in snow/dirt?

If i'm going to do it i might as well be able to handle all conditions year round. it just depends on the pros versus coin :lol:

-Jonathan

7. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Impressions and personal experience is subjective although slightly helpful but from a technical stand point of comparison somewhat lacking because of citation and driving condition variables. No one or any after market company with available locking device as of this year have done comparative skid pad testing under different simulated road conditions relating specifically to a MINI or any other vehicle that I am aware of? You are best served with taking time and contacting the manufactures direct to acquire technical information regarding their product(s) and than determine which locking device will overall serve you the best by comparing cost vis overall benefit to your driving need(s)?

8. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Actually sometime back Grassroots Motorsport magazine did a comparison with I believe three different LSDs. They were done on the same S2000 on the same course, I believe the same day. Our good friend Ian Stewart did the driving and the OS Giken had the fastest time. ;) I'll see if I can find it and post which back issue it was in.

They even had pics of Ian and friend sweating it out changing the diffs at the track.....

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Here ya go What's the Diff?: Grassroots Motorsports Magazine Articles

10. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
  11. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Mark you amaze me sometimes...:crazy:This is first and foremost a MINI forum! The comparison was with two aftermarket locking devices one of which not even available for a MINI yet?(see Kaaz) The article was not on a control environment such as a skid pad using devices to measure the effects of any specific part? I won't even mention the time difference aspect...

Using my quote:

"No one or any after market company with available locking device as of this year have done comparative skid pad testing under different simulated road conditions relating specifically to a MINI or any other vehicle that I am aware of?"

From the article:
    http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/whats-diff/

"Choosing a differential seems easy enough. Just pick the type that best fits your needs, right? While this approach works for cars like the Mazda Miata and Honda S2000, reality often plays a bigger role in the selection process: Not all differentials are available for every make and model."

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I see an argument brewing here.

The article does offer some data points and does test one against the other on the same day with the same driver in the same car. It was posted to show there is data out there. It may not be a MINI and all of them may not be be available for a MINI but there is thing called shared experiences. From those experiences of others we can start to extrapolate what may work best for us. Is it perfect, no, but it's a lot more data than we had before.

13. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
  14. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    post #20
    I have a customer who has the Quaife and drove in snow regularly while living in the NE US, DSC eliminated the spinning wheel issue for him.

I don't have DSC, or snow to drive in, but with ASC tempered by the Quaife over caliche, the global power cut effect occurs less often and recovers quicker than with the open differential.

15. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Speaking of driving in snow. My recent experience of using only the DSC while driving in the white stuff was totally amazing. I kept on going and driving around stuck 4x4 SUV's until I was snow plowing and that didn't work at all.
    The DSC feature WORKS! You just have to let it do it's thing and hold the throttle about half way down, the MINI will claw it's way through until your pushing snow.:Thumbsup:

16. 00zero

00zero New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Engineer
    Pittsburgh. Pa
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    #96 00zero, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
    I know the DSC cut power for traction but it also uses the brakes to keep control, that i did not know.

What makes the OS faster/ better on the track? (i have been reading about the different types of differentials just trying to understand but this still eludes me)

thanks,
    Jonathan