Pre Migration M/A Gets Threat or Sleazy Vendor Practices

Discussion in 'Announcements, How do I, Feedback' started by Nathan, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if you read The Oatmeal (a web comic) but that site's author recently went through a similar kind of thing. In the end, he won, the accusations were dropped and a huge well of public support went to him and a great deal of condemnation went to the douchbag lawyer who thought intimidation was the way to go.

The original (and wonderful) post at The Oatmeal is here
    FunnyJunk is threatening to file a federal lawsuit against me unless I pay $20,000 in damages - The Oatmeal (NSFW language, possible imagery)

The long and complete legal analysis is here - and is worth reading for the total insanity of the the lawyer involved.

Oatmeal V. FunnyJunk | Popehat

I recommend reading the whole thing from beginning to end.

2. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Nathan, we're all going to sue you if you delete the thread. Tell them that.

3. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #23 agranger, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
    Nathan. I'd love to know the name of the vendor (though, from the sound of it, I might have some silicone boots on Jango from this vendor already).

I like to vote with my wallet.

4. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Just the sort of company I would like to deal with. The original thread made it clear the problem was resolved. If I needed a product they sell I would have considered buying from them. Not now though sending threatening letters to have a negative review removed from a site just makes me wonder how many bad reviews got removed.

5. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    I'm camping out with the crowd on this one. :Thumbsup:

That said, on a closely related topic I've always been a little annoyed with OPs who start a thread with the title of "XXXX, Inc. Sucks! Avoid At All Costs!" followed by a lengthy, over-the-top rant in the first post (rarely justified), perhaps followed by multiple, measured, and well-reasoned responses and e-dialogue by a representative of Company XXXX trying to do the right thing, and often capped off by the OP finally posting his/her sincere gratitude to Company XXXX for their responsiveness and action.

All of the enfranchised parties end up happy -- except that damn thread title throwing mud on the vendor lives on forever in the online forum, popping up ad nauseam in independent searches, and likely steering away potential future customers whose research may never extend beyond conclusions reached by reading a summary of thread titles.

This situation may not even apply in this case, but in cases where it does I have some sympathy for the affected vendors (not for their "attorneys").

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I was elusive on purpose. If I was to name the vendor then the site will lose the protection of USC 230 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 (the “Communications Decency Actâ€); “No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider.†Since I have rendered an opinion on this vendor there would be a basis for legal action.

I will say this is not a Vendor that one would associate with MINI parts normally. Your boots are safe.

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I agree...and to that end the thread title has been edited to reflect that the issue has been resolved. Furthermore; the request to edit the thread title came from the OP once the issue had been resolved.

As complaints against a vendor go this one was handled in clean manner. Not only did the OP edit the first post to note the issue resolved the members of Motoring Alliance did not jump in and condemn the Vendor, pretty much every post in the thread offered advice. There was not the mass hysteria either for or against the Vendor as so often happens on sites with a less enlightened membership.

8. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    #28 jiminni, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
    Thats good to hear :Thumbsup:

9. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Hey Nathan, I'm headed to the beach this weekend or next. I'll pick up some extra sand for the guy to go and pound...

And... Raise a pint to the US Women's Soccer Team. Winners of the 2012 Olympic Soccer Tournament. Ziggy Zoggy Ziggy Zoggy - Oy Oy Oy! :beer

10. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Beware! If you choose to read these and follow all the embedded links therein, leave a breadcrumb trail or you'll never find your way out.

11. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    So far I have not heard from any kind of legal beagles since calling one of them a strong word. If stronger words are needed, I'll call those fiddler farts some word that will describe how ... OH poop, I'm just going to call them Knicker Knockers:cornut:

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Ohhhhh.....lotsie, there you go showing your age again!

13. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

14. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, there's a whole lot there.... but you gotta admit it was epic! :)

15. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    lotsie, just call'em peckerheads

16. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    OK, everyone involved, that has ANYTHING to say against this site is a peckerhead:mad5::arf::beer:lol: