Pre Migration M/A getting huge increase of Bandwidth thanks to Google

Discussion in 'Announcements, How do I, Feedback' started by Nathan, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Not that we currently tax the system but Motoring Alliance is about to get a large upgrade thanks to Google. M/A servers are hosted in the same data center that Google Fiber will be using in Kansas City to support their new 1GB internet program. To support the Google Fiber program the data center will be pulling in lots of new fiber connections.

Google Fiber will allow for home users to obtain 1GB down/up connectivity for only $70 mo. Heck of a deal for incredible bandwidth. They even supply an in home network box capable of supporting 360mb wireless.

Almost makes me want to move to Kansas City just for the inexpensive really high speed access.

More info on Google Fiber

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    As long as you live in the right part of town and can get enough of your neighbors to pre-register and agree to have the service....

I live in a suburb of KC just a mile ot two from the "promised land" and we won't be getting diddly squat.......maybe in a few years if it turns out to be a successful program.

However, one of my MINI buddies lives right in the target area and he already has enough people signed up that his 'hood is already on the list for installation. I'm jealous, but I'll be able to see how well it works first hand once he gets hooked up.

Imagine being able to download a whole 2hr movie in about 2 seconds, or to never have buffering on a You Tube movie again......not to mention telling Time Warner to kiss off once and for all!

3. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
  4. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Nate, we would welcome you in Missouri, not that there is anything wrong with Ohio :rolleyes:

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Not really, it does give us more headroom though. At least the bottle neck will be downstream of M/A servers.

It really is a happy accident for the site kind of thing.

6. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I hope we eventually get this here in Canada.