Pre Migration M/A is looking to add some additional staff

Discussion in 'Announcements, How do I, Feedback' started by Nathan, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    A site like M/A is sort of like an organism. It needs stability and daily, almost continuous care, feeding and attention but it also needs to adapt over time. This means in addition to long term stable staff to ensure consistency we also need to occasionally infuse some new blood to help keep things fresh.

If you think you might like to help run and maintain M/A, here are some things to think about before you contact me via pm.

Despite those words above about daily, almost continuous attention, there’s not a lot of effort required. For the most part, we watch for new threads and try to monitor activity and we try to stay active ourselves. None of that is much of a challenge since we’re already MINI enthusiasts and interested in both the cars and the community. I take care of the more challenging site maintenance behind the curtain and the rest of the staff mostly just help me with the side of the site that’s visible to members.

You need to be able to take a page out of Steve’s book. He’s not a complainer but if you could get a few drinks into him you might be able to get him to say – with a grin on his face – that “the pay sucks!†Fortunately for us, he doesn’t actually think that way. I know this because we’ve discussed it many times since he helped me get M/A started. He reminds me over and over that he does it because he’s here most of the time anyway, because he wants to be, and he likes to participate and help out. Your pay for helping with M/A is, almost entirely, self-satisfaction and some M/A SWAG now and then.

Like the banner says, this is the “fun and friendly†MINI forum. Those words, fun and friendly, apparently seem to some people like nothing more than a trite or banal attempt to attract members, but they’re actually important to us and carefully chosen. We do want this place to be fun and friendly. We think fun on a forum is fostered by a friendly environment and for the vast majority of us a friendly environment requires civility. That’s what I want and I get to make the rules. Please re-read the Motoring Alliance Member Policy which also forms the basic guidelines for the staff moderating member activity on M/A. Only volunteer if you agree with all of them. You’ll hate the job and we don’t really want you if you’re going to ignore any of them or enforce one or more of them begrudgingly, only because you have to.

Don’t think of this as an opportunity for a power grab. Please don’t volunteer if you see this as your chance to gain some control and authority to tell people what to do. A good fit is someone who considers that very limited side of things to be more of a burden than a benefit and is willing to deal with issues calmly and quietly, mostly behind the scenes and transparent to others.

Still interested? Send me a PM with your contact info, what time zone you are in and when a good time to call would be.

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I still get to keep all my titles thought, right?

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    So where have you been Jerry?

:D

4. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Best job ever:Thumbsup:

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Holding on to my titles. Duh!

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    :rolleyes:

:smilewinkgrin:

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    All of you that have contacted me, thank you!

Over the next few days I'll be contacting you.