Pre Migration M/A World HQ is Relocating

Discussion in 'Announcements, How do I, Feedback' started by Nathan, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #1 Nathan, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
    I've told a few people about this and the local club, MetroplexMINI has heard more, but with all the calls, PM's and emails I've recently been receiving I thought it best to make it public.

I'm moving out of Texas to Columbus, OH at the end of March. With that it means the expansive M/A offices, well really my desk at home, will also be moving.

Let me try to answer some of the questions I've received or expect.

WHY?

It's not Texas. While there are many that are very happy here in the Lone Star State its just not for me. I miss real seasons and summers here are long and brutal. The house I live in was inherited after the passing of my parents, it may sound odd but I have been feeling haunted as of late. I need a clean break.

North Texas is not for motoring. While everything is far apart and there is a lot of driving to do things it is almost impossible to lose ones self on fun roads. In this part of Texas the sprawl is massive, the roads for the most part are straight and it takes hours to get anyplace worth motoring.

I want to live in a more urban area where I can walk or ride a bike to stores, shops and bars yet also not be hours from good motoring locations. The area I have chosen will allow for that sort of lifestyle.

Why Columbus?

I'm an East Coast boy, born and raised, lived there the for 40 some years. I feel better in the Eastern Time Zone when the news is on at 11 and Craig Ferguson is on at 12:35.

Columbus is more centrally located to do the things I want to do. I can easily be back in my hometown of Baltimore for the Jewish Holidays in a mere 7 hours. Other cities where I have interests are also only a few hours away. Indy is 3 hours, Detroit is 3.5 hours. The Dragon is 7 hours.

What about Track Days?

I do have a fondness to tear it up the track, Mid-Ohio Sportscar Course is but an hour away and is one of the premier venues in the country. Putnam Park is 3.5 hours, Beaver Run and Nelson Ledges are 3.5 hours.

Will this affect the quality of service M/A provides?

Yes, it has the potential to become better. Being in a more central location I can attend more events around the country. I've always had a soft spot for the Detroit Tuned Spring Cleaning event, I can now attend. I'll be closer to other events such as the Pub MINI Meet, MINI's on Top, The Ice Cream run and Blue Ridge Parkway drives. While I may not be able to attend them all this year they are in the plans.

If you are worried about the server location, don't be. M/A is not hosted in my home but is on a dedicated server at a GSI Data Center in Kansas City. GSI is a big player in the hosting arena with clients such as Burger King, Samsonite, Nationwide Insurance and JC Penny. If they can support operations such as those M/A is easy for them in terms of data transfer.

Don't you have family in TX?

Yes, the only immediate family I have lives very close to me here in the North Dallas area. While I will miss the Friday night dinners of dry overcooked Chicken, over salted mashed potatoes and limp veggies cooked to mush levels there is also a need to not be so close. My brother, sister-in-law and nephew have their own lives. It has become clearer to me since my nephew has been growing that there is less and less time for me in that circle. I can deal with the little tyke but time with him often comes with the dozen or so other children in the neighborhood that is his circle of friends. I do not do well with groups of screaming, pooping, crying kids. I will visit often but they need their space just as much as I need my own.

Will you be active with the local MINI Community?

I intend on it. The Mid-Ohio group, while less formal as a Club than MetroplexMINI, has many activities. I relish the lack of a formal structure and look forward to being a part of the group.

Did someone say doughnuts?

What can we do to help?

Besides being a member of the site and doing what you do here there is not much. That is unless you live in the Greater Columbus area and want to help move stuff from the moving container to the new living quarters on or about March 30th. It's not a lot, I live a simple life and do not have much stuff.

Where in Columbus will you be?

The exact address is not something I want to share on the interwebs, but suffice to say it is in the Short North area. For those familiar with the area, no, I'm not Gay, but there is something appealing about being part of such a vibrant community.

Please feel free to ask any questions that come to mind.

2. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Wow, Outmotoring moves out of Columbus and M/A moves in. You do realize how much weight you will gain, hanging out with the Mid-Ohio group don't you? :lol:

Those all sound like valid reasons to me. Have a safe trip. :Thumbsup:

Jim

3. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I'm happy to hear that it is now "o-fish-oil". I can envision the GNAT running hard on the Salamander. Welcome Nathan to MOM...let the donut eating begin :Thumbsup:

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Well, Nathan......
    Let me be the first to welcome you to Columbus, Ohio. Yes, the Short North is an interesting place, for sure.

"While I will miss the Friday night dinners of dry overcooked Chicken, over salted mashed potatoes and limp veggies" :eek: I hope your sister in law doesn't read M/A. The food selection in and around the Short North is quite nice, but you may have a hard time finding your special "Chicken Tater and Veggie" preference.

Chuck

5. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    WOOHIOOOOOOOOOO!! Now I can drive on over to get my bowling shirt!:Thumbsup: Welcome to MOM!

You'll love Mid Ohio and Putnam Park!

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Shirts are packaged and labeled ready to be dropped off at the Post Office on Tuedsay, Monday they are closed for Presidents Day.

I've been to Mid-Ohio for a DE and CART events. Mansell was driving then. Still have the Red 5 Tee Shirt. Spun in Madness during the DE, went down that hill backwards...

Also have been to Putnam Park where I was a Viper Days instructor. The coupe was there as a preproduction model for testing. Have vivid memories of running out of brake at the end of the front straight when they tossed me the keys for a few hot laps. One sure does travel a long way in a soybean field.

7. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    Congratulations!! Now I'll be a little closer to the epicenter of M/A.

What about your day job? You do that from home?

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to central Ohio Nathan. We will all be glad to have you. I'll set you up with some nice back road rambles to lose yourself on.

9. T8rChick

T8rChick Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Paying for new tires! The wheels were a deal!!!
    Oak Cliff, TX
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    We'll miss you Nate!

10. farkus

farkus Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Change is good, congrats and good luck with the move.

Oh and stop by on your way home to Baltimore. :cornut:

11. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Bold move Nate. I wish you well with the relocation :Thumbsup:

12. MINIPucker

MINIPucker New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Totally understandable about needing a change and space. Take care of yourself, Keep all 4 on the road and keep in touch!

Good luck!

13. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    I miss cols sometimes

expecailly in the fall. Do not miss the rainy spring and summer seasons, or the winters, but the fall was glorius. Left there in 1979 after 8 years of living in Hilliard. Received my formal Porsche-Audi training at PA north (now MAG) and left alot of close friends and good memories behind. Today I couldnt do the winters or the rain, I am a spoiled Cali brat, but there is a lot to live for in Columbus, Ohio, enjoy it and congrats on your move!!:Thumbsup:

14. Michigan Mini

Michigan Mini New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Health Care
    Lathrup Village, MI
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I will look forward to seeing you up at Chad's and I am planning on the Pub Run! Best of luck with the move. If I didn't have conflicting plans, read work, I'd pitch in with the unload for sure. Give a shout when you head up to Motown.

Cheers!
    Chris

15. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Wow Nathan, sounds like a great opportunity. I wish for you good weather, an excellent packer (to fit all those odd shaped boxes into the van), and a sense of adventure to edure through the tough spots. Sometimes a cross country move really is the perfect solution ( I speak from experience). Can't wait to here about the new roads you discover!

16. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    My day job can be accomplished anyplace there is a decent internet connection. I'm an independent contractor that has a focus on vBulletin consulting, Q/A for software, websites and iOS apps along with technical writing.

My commute is going to be shorter as the place I'm moving into is smaller.

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'll be passing you a few times come the fall, in the space of 4 weeks I have 2 weddings and a Bat Mitzvah in the area. I'll be an I-70 commuter for a month. I miss my McCutcheons Apple Butter too. That and fresh pressed unpasteurized cider.

18. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    at least its not Cleveland. :lol:

And GSI?? Never heard of them and we host Burger King and BMW USA (perhaps MINI USA too, I'd have to ask) ;)

19. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Wow first Texas Speedwerks and now MA -- The Gov needs to call an emergency meeting!

We Texans are going to miss calling you our own!

Good luck in your new home.

20. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    GSI Managed Hosting Services - PCI Compliant Hosting, Corporate Hosting | GSI Hosting, A Layered Tech Company They were just purchased by Layered Tech based here in Plano.

I use URLJet who is co-lo'ed at GSI Kansas. M/A is not big enough to go direct to a provider such as GSI and I want a more managed server than they offer at the pricing the site can afford.