Pre Migration M/A World HQ is Relocating

Discussion in 'Announcements, How do I, Feedback' started by Nathan, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but I have a JCW, so I can get there in half the time.....:prrr::prrr::prrr::prrr:[/QUOTE]

That does not surprise me at all. They most likely forgot they had already used it once. :D

Well, ya got me on the JCW part.:Thumbsup:

Jim

2. amberback

amberback Club Coordinator

Mar 26, 2010
    QA Analyst
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Only two? That's not bad. I live in Mount Pleasant... we have at least 3 of those in PA.

3. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I didn't know there was one "pleasant" place in PA, let alone three. Notice how they took the wording, "You have a friend in PA" off the license plates? Wonder what that says? :lol:

Please, all you good folks who live here, don't take offence, I am only kidding. I honestly have not enjoyed my stay in PA, but that is just me.

Jim

4. amberback

Mar 26, 2010
    QA Analyst
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Well ours used to be called Hell, PA. 15666 is the zip. I guess they decided Mount Pleasant sounded more... Pleasant.

5. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Your kidding, aren't you?

Jim

6. amberback

Mar 26, 2010
    QA Analyst
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
  7. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
  8. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    You think he knew?

Thanks to Ohio State, Venturi Automobiles brings its operation, and jobs, to Columbus
    by Adam King

There are untold risks running a car company that solely builds electric vehicles in a still-budding market. But Gildo Pastor, the CEO of Monaco-based Venturi Automobiles, has a history of gumption.

He loves a challenge, hence his company’s financial and technological support of Ohio State’s Center for Automotive Research (CAR) in its quest to set electric vehicle land speed records with the Buckeye Bullet. He’s now bringing that company-embedded spirit to the United States with the formation of a North American research and development operation based in Columbus.

It’s a small step now — only about 70 jobs will be created with this venture — but it could mean big things down the line should the electric vehicle market take off.

Monaco-based Venturi Automobiles made a name for itself with its all-electric sports car, the Fétish, left, but also with its support and investment in Ohio State’s Buckeye Bullet, right, which holds the land speed record for electric race cars. Venturi’s big project now is to build 1,500 electric delivery vehicles for the French postal service, La Poste, inset.

[​IMG]

Venturi has shown an ability to produce quality EVs for the high-end market with its Fétish sports car as well as the service market: The French postal service, La Poste, has ordered a full complement of Venturi’s delivery vehicles developed in conjunction with PSA Peugeot Citroën.

Eventually Pastor has plans to launch a three-wheeled delivery vehicle in the US, an example of his objective to build his American presence rather than use what Venturi learns here to solely benefit his established European business.

“We have great assets and technologies, and we want to marry companies who are willing to develop things and do that with them and keep developing technologies here,†said Pastor during a recent visit. “So we are building a fully American team here. We spent a lot of time talking with car manufacturers and suppliers. We have a big range of EV in development and in production and some of them are going to be developed here also, focusing on things that are useful up to things that are very cool.â€

But why Ohio? And why Columbus in particular?

While some risks are worth taking, Pastor said he was unwilling to compromise on the intellect, connections and experience Ohio State and CAR have been able to offer Venturi.

“Five years ago, I was studying what was going on here, and I realized the experience of this department in CAR, it was unique in terms of racing,†Pastor said. “I used to race myself, and when I turned my company into an EV company 10 years ago, I tried to find what was going to be the racing of the future.

“What the students are doing and CAR is doing are really exceptional. There is a lot of knowledge at Ohio State. We have a lot of knowledge too, and we’re happy to bring it here.â€

Pastor said his experience in working with CAR Director Giorgio Rizzoni resembled the business-friendly environment he encountered in Bordeaux, France, where Venturi built a battery management systems facility.

“You know exactly the right people there and you can discuss anything,†Pastor said. “You talk about what can we do, what are the missing parts, you can exchange ideas and that is essential. That’s why we opened up our factory in a special region of France because we found this way of working. It is people who say we appreciate your technology, we appreciate your way of working, how can we help and how can we create that mixture that makes good business.â€

Venturi North America will establish its headquarters on Ohio State’s West Campus in the TechColumbus corridor on Kinnear Road — literally just down the road from CAR.

“We are very excited to expand our partnership with Venturi and look forward to helping Venturi achieve its goals in central Ohio and in North America,†Rizzoni said. “It is clear that our region is becoming an increasingly important player in vehicle electrification, thanks to the many partnerships OSU has built with the automotive and electric power industries.

9. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
  10. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Nathan- good luck with your move!
    And welcome to the Eastern Time Zone :Thumbsup:

11. sdmidget

sdmidget New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Senior Planner
    Lancaster, PA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Welcome back to the North!

Now you can visit us at Mid-Ohio for the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge finale in September:Thumbsup:

12. jimd

jimd New Member

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Florence,KY
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Move from Texas

Welcome to Ohio, back in the DAY I lived and worked in Mansfield. I volunteered at Mid-Ohio as pit security, met a lot of drivers and was a blast.

Jim D
    Queen City Coopers
    (Cincinnati)

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    One move complete...

Almost everything is unpacked and as ya'll can see I have internet access again. I'd like to thank the folks from MoM that braved the snow to help move almost 3000lbs of stuff up to the second floor. Y'all were great. Sometime when the weather warms I'll fire up that grill and toss some killer steaks on it to share.

14. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Nathan, when I got home I realized that I had these in my pocket. I'll bring them to dinner on Wednesday.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Glad to hear you made it OK:D Enjoy your new abode:Thumbsup:

Mark

16. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Good to hear you made it up ok Nathan :Thumbsup:

17. RllyDrvrIX

RllyDrvrIX New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Glad to hear you and your stuff are once again safe...

18. Kellen@Craven

Kellen@Craven New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Talking about Minis and stuff
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Enjoy your new home!

19. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Congrats on the Move! Hope you are settled and motoring in no time!

20. CheckersSD

CheckersSD New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Full time student @ UCSD majoring in PoliSci, and
    San Diego, CA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Congrats and good luck