Exterior 1st Gen M7 front splitter

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Goldsmithy, Oct 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    I really like the way the M7 front splitter looks.

[​IMG]

I would like to know if there are practical benefits to using one and if you have one, do you hit the parking concrete stops when parking. As always, TIA for any information and help.

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I ran a very similar splitter for a while. Yes, it would hit stuff. Mainly when the wife drove, because I was careful.

Is yours bolted to the bumper cover, or through the cover to something structural? if to the cover (which is how I ran mine also) it will break the cover the first time you whack something hard with it.

It MIGHT have a LITTLE actual aero benefit at highway speeds. At the fast track speeds where it would be really useful, that design flexes too much. There are only a handful of full-tray structural splitters for MINIs that are useful at high speed. This may start a flame war, but truth often does.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    If for looks then go ahead. If for actual downforce, then save your money.

I've had one.

I've ripped it off twice. Once during an agricultural excursion off a track in TX. Hit an anthill. Ripped the entire front bumper off with it.

Second time was on a run in TX Hill Country, went down a dip that ended at a cattle guard. Splitter got caught between two of the bars at stupid speeds. A fix with bailing wire to hang the bumper cover got me back home with bits of splitter in the boot.

Really need to cover the entire underbody and install a rear diffuser to make it work as an aero aid.

4. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I think Justa Jim has one on his Cooper, "Foggy".

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Sneed Speed has a splitter that supposedly does add some aero help. Note how far it goes back under the car.

[​IMG]

The one from M7 doesn't cover anywhere near as much of the underbody.

7. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I've had one bolted to mine for some time now, no issues with hitting things or breaking it.

It's mostly cosmetic, but it's a nice look nonetheless.

[​IMG]

8. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
  9. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    #9 cct1, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    The sneed splitter will add downforce. I have the RMW splitter, and it makes a big difference on the track. The front end of these cars really wants to lift when you hit triple digits, the effect of a splitter is very noticeable. I can stand on the RMW splitter, it doesn't flex one bit. The sneed splitter attaches to the frame, so it should be pretty solid. The RMW splitter attaches to the subframe underneath, so there aren't any buckles. It has tear away bolts, so if it hits something, it will come off without damaging the subframe. They work. Ask me how I know....

You will have to be VERY careful not to hit park stops. If you do, you're splitter is toast.

You won't notice the splitter doing anything unless you're on the track. There it helps immensely. If you want it just for looks, a splitter that attaches to the fascia is fine, but make sure you fashion some sort of backing plate so it won't pull out, just to be safe. I had the group 4 splitter, and it attached like Nate was talking about, it pulled out my second lap, and that was with a small backing plate. If you're going to hit speeds above 100mph, don't bother with a cosmetic splitter, because it won't be on for long, get a functional one.

Here's my thread in the RMW splitter:

http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/exterior/18559-splitter.html

10. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    For what it is worth I have been making these out of Lexan for local club members for years. Mine has been on for bout 8 years without major issue. Yes if you try to roll over a park stop it will hit,( but if you think about it, it is only 3/16'' thick so if your car cleared before it may still clear as it is bolted directly to the bottom of the bumper), typical speed bumps you will be ok. The little OEM air diverter thingy under all our cars will hit first.. You will have to be mindful of it being there when pulling in or out of step entrances etc.. I don't track my car other then a Phil Wick or two, and BMW Center stuff, auto x, but have seen triple digits plenty of times with it on the car. Granted if you track your car on the regular I'd get a RMW one.. Mine is just bolted to the bottom of the bumper with 9 bolts with good size washers on both sides. Splitter braces actually go thru the lower grille, and again with washers on both sides. Granted if you hit something hard enough those will probably go right thru your AC/radiator, SO don't do that and if you do your probably tearing up the front end anyway so doesn't really matter at that point.. I just wanted the "look" and it does that for me..

11. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    The little are diverted is behind the front of the splitter, if you're low, you'll hit the park stop with the splitter first (If you get the RMW or Sneed splitter, that diverter gets removed as the bottom of the splitter goes past it). It's a mistake you only make once, been there, done that. That's how I know the RMW sheer bolts work--they saved both the splitter and my car from damage.

Anyway, your setup will work fine for the look, but it'll pull out prematurely, like a horny teenager on his first date, on a high speed track, and the results are not pretty, it tore up my front bumper quite nicely.

12. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    If you're going for a little on the looks side do the lexan type mentioned above or the cheepo garage door molding lip. The advantage the garage door molding is it doesn't break when you hit something and when it get messed up a bit it's cheep to replace.

Here's an Amazon link to the idea preped for the car already. It's a lot more expensive than do-it-yourself. front spoiler

13. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Splitter or no splitter I have never understood why people pull up to / over the curb to start with. Guess to save an extra foot or two of walking at the expense of the front of their car!!!!

14. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Sometimes the distance is difficult to judge, especially when you can't see the parking stop. When I hit it, I assumed it would be at the very edge of the parking space, but it was a good 2 feet in. I get why it's that way now--there is a sidewalk right flush with the edge of the lot that I didn't realize was there before. Funny thing is, it's the parking lot in downtown Elkhart Lake (Road America), where we drive in between sessions for gas and lunch. Many a splitter has come to an end in that lot, I found out after the fact...

I got lucky Jan designed it the way he did. The bolts sheered, no damage, replaced, all is good.

15. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Mine's been holding up great! Even with a few scoops into gravel on a steep driveway that a friend has, and one or two accidental knocks into parking barriers.

As for why I park that close - it's only at one restaurant that I need to. There's a spot that's just big enough for a MINI and not much else right next to the back door. :)

16. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    #16 Metalman, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    I did not get the M7 splitter for my R56... I was wanting something that smoothed the airflow under the MINI from the front bumper to the rear and attached to the stock mounting points. My front splitter is the MINI Challenge splitter which extends back under the radiator. And then the OEM GP2 under engine pan is connected to the trailing edge of the splitter. The OEM under panels just after the front suspension and continues all of the way back to a point in front of the rear suspension. These then connect to the GP2 rear diffuser.

When I park, I'm very aware of the front splitter and make a point of not hitting the concrete curb... I hate to see chipped concrete...:ihih:

The under panels can be made to fit the 1st gen MINI's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The biggest change I noticed was less turbulent air noise from under the vehicle. I'ts hard for me to say if it's more planted or not... But maybe...

17. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys for all the knowledge. I will forego the M7 ( I'd break it quickly): however, Metalman...Is this system available anywhere? Thanks again...

18. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    All of my pieces are 100% MINI supplied parts....

Go here and you can see how Batrugger adapted the R56 under panels to his 1st gen MINI... http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/jcw/4464-r56-jcw-my-bottom-gonna-smooth-babys-butt.html

My front splitter will only fit 2nd gen... The rear diffuser might fit 1st gen but you will probably need to do some modifications on it... I believe "others" have adapted it...

19. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Just saw this. I've had mine for about four years. It bolts to the grill and if I hit something it just pops the grill back out of the notches. I simply pull on the two support braces and it pops right back. If you take a speed bump at a angle it won't hit. I also have lowering springs, so mine might be lower than yours. Does it help? I think it does, at highway speeds, but that could just be my imagination. Even if it does not actually help, it certainly doesn't hurt.

20. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Great for leveling a gravel driveway too. :wink: