Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Machined a low cost bolt on kit to refill the supercharger oil w/o removal or mods

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by The_R1_Kid, Mar 5, 2017.

1. z_wrecker

z_wrecker Member

Apr 14, 2017
    CHarlottesville, VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have maybe a dumb question. If the tube is attached to the drain plug and it is capped at the end of the tube, wouldn't oil come out as you drive and fill the drain tube? Also do you have to do 90% of the work to get to the plugs initially? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The_R1_Kid

The_R1_Kid New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 5, 2017
    CNC Machinist
    Salem, OR
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not really in my experience. The path to the line is kind of convoluted. The oil has to go up into the plug, turn 90 degrees, and go though a 1mm hole to enter the tube. the plug its self is just above oil level. If oil does go down into the tube the total capacity of the tube is tiny, and would have no effect on they supercharger.

Sorta? You do need to get to front end service mode. Which is why there is a list of age/ mileage maintenance items in the instructions that I highly recommend you tackle when installing the kit.
    There are pretty comprehensive installation instructions on the website. The link is just above the "Add to Cart" button
    www.MBKperformance.com

The point of the kit is that once installed you can easily keep the supercharger oil topped up at the proper level without tearing into your car again. Just untuck the lines from behind the radiator cowl and inject the oil. I believe that keeping the oil at the proper level is a good thing.

The loss of oil means the nose and PTO shaft seals are leaking slightly That doesn't noticeably reduce the function of the supercharger output. The supercharger functions just fine as long as there is oil is present. The kit allows you to forgo the expense of the rebuild, and allows you to refill/ top off the supercharger oil without ever pulling the supercharger. You can just keep topping off the oil every once in a while when you change the engine oil(I top off every 3rd oil change) Without tearing into the car from the top of the engine compartment.
    My R53 has 180k miles and the supercharger has never been off the car. It runs quiet with no rattles since I can keep the oil at the correct fill level

Will things eventually need a rebuild? yes, but maintaining a consistent oil supply in the supercharger will reduce wear on the bearings and gears meaning they will last longer. if the oil breaks down leaks through the shaft seals or other wise disappears that will cause the components to wear very quickly and fail. The kit allows you to avoid that