MINI 1st Gen 2nd Gen 3rd Gen How To Making your own engine lifts

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by Whine not Walnuts, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Whine not Walnuts

Whine not Walnuts Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    #1 Whine not Walnuts, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    I recently did some work that required some special tools. I was going to remove the transmission and was debating whether I would remove the entire engine/transmission or just the transmission. The latter manner requires that the subframe be removed. I watched several different Youtube vids with ModMini being the go-to guy. He has vids for either the engine/transmission or just the transmission methods.

I watched the vids and then started checking prices for an engine hoist (cherry picker), engine support bar and a transmission jack. I have always been a frugal person so first thoughts was finding used stuff and then once I got done doing a CL sell route. I decided to go the transmission/subframe route and then decided to make my own support bar and transmission lift. I did come calcs using the fiberbending and modulus of elasticity for wood and decided a double 2x4 beam would more than handle the weight involved. I also used some 1/2" plywood for a flitch between the 2x4s. I did leave a section of the plywood out so that I could use a closed/welded eye bolt that I raised and lowered via a boxed wrench. For the transmission, I took my low profile jack and attached some angles to support the "platform" and then some joist hangers to serve as "outriggers" to keep the jack from tipping sideways.

Everything worked out. I did 99% of the job alone with the 1% being when I had my wife turn the harmonic damper pulley while I had my finger in the transfer case to make sure the engine and transmission were properly mated together. I did use ModMini's flat strap to help support the transmission on re-installation along with some wood shims that helped the transmission sit straight on the jack platform.

Around $20 for a 10' 2x4, some angles, joist hangers, wood screws and the eyebolt ($6 at :Lowes).

SAM_1449.JPG

My "support bar". I wanted to make sure the thing would not move forward so I used some c-clamps as stops.

SAM_1450.JPG

The closed/welded eye bolt from Lowes. I could raise or lower just about 3/4" by using a wrench to spin the nut.

SAM_1451.JPG
    The flat strap that ModMini suggested was attached to the transmission. A plywood plate on the end along with a diagonal 2x4 kept the 2x10 "upright" from twisting. What is hard to see is that I cut out part of the 2x10 as the top of the strut tower does curve outward.

SAM_1452.JPG
    My transmission jack.

SAM_1453.JPG
    Wood joist hangers that I used as "outriggers"

I did place some strips of rubber roofing between the wood uprights and the strut tower rail. The unsealed engine paint is very soft and even wood could displace it.

2. Whine not Walnuts

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    I did install some new bearings in the transmission as well. Thinking my wife has a picture of the bell housing coming out of the oven. I heated it up to 400 degrees to get the bearings and races out. I then dropped the temp down to about 250 so that I could get some bearings that I had frozen in the fridge to drop/tap in place.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Nice! Both times I pulled a transmission on a Mini I supported the motor with my motorcycle jack.

4. Whine not Walnuts

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    I thought about buying a motorcycle lift as well but what I fabed up worked well. I will try to make up some drawings on the size of the pieces and what is involved.

5. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    That would be good. I know when I've done engine mounts (None MINI) before using an engine hoist has its own challenges as the arms are below and always in the way.. plus the arm as it goes up has rotates a little. This would pic it straight up assuming it could lift it high enough... that said, never done those on a MINI.... yet.

6. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Nice job...you creative little devil :)

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    My engine hoist is much smaller and fits in my wallet. :eek: Take car to Helix and have them do the work and I pay the bill. :rolleyes::D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Whine not Walnuts

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0

I don't know, you might consider saving a few bucks as the burial plot you are going to need to get planted in the Mistress is going to cost a whole lot of money . . . . .

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Already taken care of. I will be cremated in my car and poured out on the Dragon.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List