Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Manual Rad. Fan Switch install

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by ED955S, Jul 4, 2011.

1. ED955S

ED955S New Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is the time of the year again that heat soak makes the Mini lag when sitting in summer traffic and you try to make a quick launch. You know the feeling...
    Has anybody tried installing a manual fan switch that can be turned ON/OFF in their MCS? Will it have any negative effect to the electronics or other parts?

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Four letters. M-E-T-H

Just sayin.

What fan are you planning to turn on?

If it's hot enough to matter, the radiator fan should come on already... but that really doesn't do much (if anything) to help with heat soak.

The heat soak issue is mostly a problem with the air intake tract - intake, supercharger, intercooler, intake manifold and all the assorted piping and horns that connect it.

Easiest way to impact that a bit is external water spray on the IC.

Best way to impact it significantly is a meth kit. All the parts still get hot.... but as soon as you go WOT and boost kicks in, the meth sprays and drastically cools the intake charge. Which both helps your launch immediately, and quickly cools the intake tract post-spray from the inside out.

I currently spray just a tiny bit post-IC - just enough for cooling, not enough for fueling.
    Thinking about adding a second tiny jet pre-IC to help with IC cooling in heatsoak conditions.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    1 + for METH!

Not 50/50 boost juice, I only use 100% VP Meth.

I love my Meth kit.

4. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Wow.........MINI Margi already acts like she's on Meth(amphetamine) so I'm sure that y'all are talking about Meth(anol).:biggrin5: Just in case any uninitiated are reading this.:Thumbsup:

Jason

5. ED955S

ED955S New Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Meth the Mini to turn her UP:Thumbsup:

By your comments, my orig intent may not do much...do you need a re-tune for Methanol/Water (50:50) injection kit?

6. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Depends on the approach you take and what your specific objectives are. There's a broad continuum of water / meth injection.

For my car, I'm in the 200-225whp range. My objective is just cooling - both to add a margin of safety, and to get cold-weather-like performance when it's hot outside. So I spray about the smallest possible volume of 70%meth/30%water. Not enough to significantly impact fueling, just enough to cool at the airflow I'm driving at my HP levels. Because I don't tune for it (I tune without it), I don't have to get paranoid about running out of juice, or a system failure, or sub-optimal metering of how much I'm spraying screwing with my tune. Not likely that the car is going to explode if I'm not spraying meth. It's just something that gives me that "wintertime" performance level year-round. A relatively simple, relatively inexpensive system can accomplish this IMHO. I run a hodgepodge of stuff from DevilsOwn, Coolingmist, etc. that I've evolved over the past couple of years of playing with it and replacing stuff that didn't last. I've tried lots of different mix ratios from 30/70 to 50/50 to 70/30 to 100% meth. I'm pretty happy with 70% meth - gives me almost as much cooling in my specific case as 100%... and 10 gal of meth lasts a lot longer. :biggrin5:

At the other end of the continuum, spraying a relatively large volume of meth can be part of a high-HP strategy (275+ whp....). You need more volume for the higher airflow volumes at those HP levels. Adding even more volume beyond that, and it materially impacts temps, fueling and octane levels. At those volume levels, you have to tune for it (else you're leaving tons of performance on the table), and to tune for it, you have to have much better control of how much you're spraying, and it has to be 100% reliable. At that point, the inexpensive systems really aren't what you want... you need the "good stuff" like Howerton provides to give you both the reliability and control you need IMHO. This is the land of 100% meth in most cases.

Not all will agree with me on all of this. :cornut:

Clear as mud, eh? :Thumbsup: