Manual Steering rack?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by WheelNut, Jan 25, 2019.

1. WheelNut

WheelNut New Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hey Folks,

I've got a bit of an odd question: Does a manual steering rack with a higher steering ratio exist? Or is it possible that there is a steering rack from another car with a high steering ratio and the same input shaft as the R50/53 steering rack? (that rack could be converted to manual). Something with at least a 15:1 ratio or higher (slower steering with less effort). If I need to make a mounting bracket that is fine.

PS: I know the *correct* answer is "order a new power steering pump and forget about manual steering, ya bum!" I've converted my car to manual steering and feedback is good, but the steering is too heavy, so I'm trying to find solutions to make the steering manageable.

Thanks in advance

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Well I was going to say get a new pump but you beat me to it! You could get very skinny front wheel.:D

I don't know if one want exist. Maybe a second Gen but they are electric, so by the time you payed for it and then figured out a way to install it it would not be worth it. Perhaps if got an old rack and had a different gear machined for it.