MC2 magazine out of business?

Discussion in 'MINI' started by minirab, Mar 18, 2013.

1. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I sympathize for MC2--this relatively small niche companies in the MINI world, wether they be a vendor, magazine, etc. are not huge operations with reserves to meet all contingencies--so if something goes wrong, there is no safety net, and a part or magazine issue may be late. I have no problem with that.

But trying to control what others can or cannot say in an internet forum, especially when the complaints appear to be legitimate, is so far out of bounds as to be laughable.

Don't say anything bad about me, even if it's true. Good luck with that. Seems most people complain only after they've been ignored. Food for thought.

Nate, you should tell Barry what articles he should or shouldn't publish in his magazine. Let's see how that goes over.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I think you are mistaken, here is why.

The comparison is between a periodical and a product manufactured to order. For the latter as more orders for the product arrive it takes each subsequent order a longer time to be filled. A periodical such as the one discussed here has a set publishing date. Advertisers often run campaigns based on these known dates. Sure, there is some sometimes slippage a few days in either direction and there are the vagarities in delivery due to the USPS.

In this case of a bigger slippage than normal and with all the simple manners of communications we have there is no excuse for not informing subscribers. It does not take long at all to update a website with a note that Issue X is going to be few weeks late because of __________. Another is a mass email with that info and some teasers about how great the publication will be cause we held it back for a few weeks to get this great things in place.

I know the first thing I did when I saw the first post was head to the magazines site to see if there was any news. I'd bet many of you did too. Would it have been so difficult to post a notice on there? Well, in this case with this publisher I guess it is too much to ask, we've seen the same " It will be re-launched the week of December 12th" notice on GoMotoring since about November or so of 2011. Which to me speaks volumes of this entities lack of communication skills. Odd for someone in the communications business.

3. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    You are correct. I suppose I am guilty of comparing apples to oranges. However, the sentiment, I believe, still holds true. Getting beat up by unreasonable criticism has got to take the fun out of any enterprise and there are always other things to do with less unhappiness.

4. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Thing is the criticism here or towards Asethetic wasn't completely unreasonable.
    I admit complaining about you mag being 2 weeks late might be, but if your order for vinyl is 6 months late there is a need for criticism...

5. jcauseyfd

jcauseyfd New Member

May 25, 2009
    Graham, NC
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    meh, I canceled my subscription years ago.

6. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Personally I don't think complaining about a magazine being two weeks late is out of line, if your requests on why it's delayed, or even if it's coming, are categorically ignored. On the other hand, a simple we had an issue with x, we apologize for the delay, and all is good. Whining about people posting complaints in MA is time wasted; replying to legitimate questions on when to expect your delayed product is time well spent. If you have the time to complain to Nate about his site, seems you have time to post any issue you're having with your current issue on your own site. But maybe I expect too much.

7. LoLowe

LoLowe New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Retired
    Bonne Terre MO
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    I'm with cct1 on this if there was a problem on the magazines end it would have been much easier to post a little sticky on the website.

8. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :eek6::crazy::confused: Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............perhaps in trying to help..............I only caused the **** pot to be stirred.:blush2: Oh Well, drive on soldier.:lol::lol::Thumbsup:

Jason

9. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    Let me chime in as I'm the guy who started this thread. I have been a

subscriber to MC2 since day one and have been loyal since day one. I

look forward to each and every issue that I receive. I don't feel that

I was busting Barry's balls for just asking a simple question. If he feels

that way I'm truly sorry. I met Barry for the first time at last year's MOTD

and enjoyed talking with him. In fact I extended my subscription at that

time and gave him cash to prove it. That's all folks.

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Don't feel bad, you asked a valid question. Not your fault that Barry didn't handle it well.

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    minirab

As Scott is saying, you had a valid question. Barry of MC2 is very defensive and blows things out of proportion. My own lack of love for him and his publication didn't help this thread much either. For allowing my own thoughts to cloud my posting judgment I apologize. But, dagnapit, the man just rubs me the wrong way.

12. Tackleberry

Tackleberry New Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Federal Security Officer
    Pensacola, FL
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Barry has a lot of irons in the fire right now. He has been in talks with a new company and doing an article on them, as well as garnering new ads. He should be ready to go to publication any time now.

13. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Barry's "irons in the fire" should be the people who subscribe to his magazine, because without them, there would BE no magazine. As a former subscriber and now "outside" observer, it seems to me that he is losing touch with his "people". There is no excuse for empty promises.

14. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Sounds like problems on both sides of the fence. Y'all ought to get together and work this out as it's been going on way to long. I remember a similar problem between you and Barry back in 08 or 09 when you were at 'Metroplex Mini' in Dallas. The MINI world is too small for this kind of thing. A lot of us like both MA and MC2 magazine and watching from the side lines we're thinking: bury the hatchet guys and drive on.:Thumbsup:

Jason

15. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Not sure why anyone needs to "bury the hatchet" with someone who seems to over react to things not under their control. This issue is with MC2 and not M/A. Nathan doesn't need to apologize for any of the posts here as none of the posts were in violation of the rules here.

16. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0

Mr. Montague has wise words of wisdom! :)

Life is too short to be mad at people.... " bury the hatchet guys and drive on"

17. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Or.....or just drive on! :)

18. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    If people don't disagree we would all be clones.

How many people want a fourm full of Dave.0's ....:devil::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::Thumbsup:

19. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    That would overwhelm the ban button....:devil:

20. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    So I got an email this morning from MC2 magazine promoting the late new issue and within the email was this >>>

" (Thanks for a forum starting a rumour that we were going under. It's truly sad that no one uses the phone to chedck their supposed facts these days! ) "

Well I say its truly sad if you have to time to email the forum owner and wine about people talking about your magazine, but NOT to reply to email from your subscribers! It's 2013 it's all about electronic communication.....

IMHO