MC2 magazine out of business?

Discussion in 'MINI' started by minirab, Mar 18, 2013.

1. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    just another case of profiling...lol

2. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I thought MC2 was marginal, but I read it because it was free from my dealer. Now they DON'T even carry it any more. :lol:

Jim

3. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Barry complaining about someone not checking facts is like the Pope complaining about people being Catholic. I dropped my sub after the first year or so because the few facts that I knew of from first-hand knowledge that were 'reported' in MC2 were either wrong or riddled with typos. Pretty pictures sometimes, but not that useful in the era of the interwebs.

4. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I like MC2 magazine. I think the articles are very good, some minor mistakes but I think they are becoming fewer and fewer. I will subscribe as long as they continue to publish.

Dave

5. LoLowe

LoLowe New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Retired
    Bonne Terre MO
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    PICTURES

6. pmsummer

pmsummer Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Semi-retired planner
    Jack Coffee Hays County, The Republic of Texas
    Ratings:
    +400 / 0 / -0
    #66 pmsummer, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    They kinda lost me when they editorialized about GM buying into PSA. They thought that would allow MINI to start using GM USA V6 engines and how wonderful that would be (I don't know why they didn't just go ahead say the LS series V8s would be coming, too).

Meanwhile in the real world, MINI/BMW moves to 3 cylinder engines for A/B Class cars.

But MC2 is nice and shiny!

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0

GM-PSA rumors may be a 'stalking horse'

Reports that the Peugeot family is willing to hand over its struggling automotive business to General Motors or China's Dongfeng Motor may have an ulterior motive.

The thinking goes like this: Peugeot family sources are briefing the media about a possible GM or Chinese takeover of PSA/Peugeot-Citroen to frighten the French government and the French public into accepting the cuts in jobs and production capacity that are needed to stop the automaker's huge cash burn.

The reports may be a "stalking horse" to show that unless some sacrifice is made by the employees, GM could come in and remove PSA's manufacturing presence in France, Barclays said in a note to investors.

A GM deal to acquire PSA at a bargain price similar to Fiat's acquisition of Chrysler is unlikely because merging the Peugeot and Citroen brands with GM's Opel/Vauxhall division would mean unpalatable job cuts in France and in Germany, where national elections take place in September, industry watchers say.

GM, which paid 320 million euros ($423 million) for a 7 percent stake in PSA, likely sees the alliance as a mistake and a further cash infusion could be viewed as "throwing good money after bad," Barclays says.

Source: GM-PSA rumors may be a 'stalking horse'

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    No worries French PSA worker's. GM will take care of you good folks just like it did with the fine folks at SAAB. :eek:ut:

9. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    I don't have a real interest in the Peugeot saga, but I'd be a bit leary of the potential to be recipient of a Dongfeng. Sounds like it'd hurt... Not even a Frenchman needs that.

Just say'n...

10. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    If you want to see bad proof reading check out the cover of issue #44

(just received in the mail today). MOTD 2012, huh? Just checked and its

2013. This doesn't count the bad stuff in every issue.

11. pmsummer

pmsummer Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Semi-retired planner
    Jack Coffee Hays County, The Republic of Texas
    Ratings:
    +400 / 0 / -0
    I really wish them the best of luck. I've tried publishing a magazine, and it's a tough row to hoe. Hell, the way things are going, MC2 just might out-live Road & Track!

12. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    On the cover? That's really bad!

13. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I've been a subscriber since I got my MINI, while not the greatest may out there at least it is talking about a car I like and can afford. Road and track, car and driver, and some others, are full of multi page write ups on cars I'll never be able to get, yet on the few cars I can they usually only get 1 page, and sometimes not even the whole page and half the mag is advertisements. Weather tech must get a huge discount or something they have a 3 page add in every issue of road and track and car and driver, motor trend etc. Heck the dang thing should be free at this point.

14. silky

silky New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    IMHO if you are in the business of publishing an English language magazine, and charging market prices for it, you should know English spelling, usage and grammar, or hire an editor and proof reader who does. I stopped reading after the first year - too painful.

15. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    #75 GreyLens, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
    I have to agree with most posts here. I have all the back issues for MC2...started the collection when I bought my JCW. The writing, editing, delivery and support has been consistently poor but I love having a magazine dedicated to the Mini. I don't know Barry but publishing a pub like this is very difficult and I'm sure they're not well capitalized for it. Building any business on organic growth is tough.

I'll keep buying it and keep hoping they'll get access/support from a good editor someday.

Keep up the good work, Barry.

16. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    You want a good MINI mag try this one. Very pleased with the issues and delivery. And this months issue has a great US car featured!

http://www.modernmini.co.uk/

17. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup it pick up that mag at Barnes and Noble from time to time. :Thumbsup:

18. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    When Barry first started the magazine, he "encouraged" subscribers to check for spelling and grammar errors, and to notify him what and where they were, so I did. I received a nasty "don't blame me" reply and I never renewed my subscription. While the articles were interesting, they were way too few and the pages and number of yearly issues were too skimpy for the amount of money I wanted to spend. Heck, I get better advice from M/A, and IT IS FREE!

19. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    No, that's REALLY Barry.

20. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    If Barry put half the time into his rag of a magazine that he spent talking BS at the Dragon this year it would still only be worth quarter.