MC2 magazine out of business?

Discussion in 'MINI' started by minirab, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    If Barry was not in charge of the rag, I mean mag it could be so much better.

2. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    y'all still :deadhorse: :Yawn:

3. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    So it's (none of my business) personal? Or is it just disappointment with content and execution?

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    It's never personal it's just business. The mag used to be good a few years back.

5. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    read the last 16 pages. it's all there.

6. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Hey Dave, I'll look into some older issues and see if I notice a difference. What is it that you notice as a difference? More importantly, how/what would you change?

7. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    I did. That's why I asked the question.

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #168 Nathan, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
    What would I change?

1. Proofread, and then have it proofread by one or two others. I write a lot, I know how hard it is to self proof a document. Or to proof one that I've read a dozen times written by someone else. It's the little details of spelling, spacing and punctuation that make things look bad. While we all tolerate it on the interwebs, in a professionally produced magazine it is just not as tolerable. One wonders what other details have been skipped too when one see's that the basics of spelling, spacing and punctuation are not adhered too.

2. Timeliness of information - Being the magazine only comes out every two months and with lead times that are needed at best we readers see news that is 2-3 months old. In these days of instant news cycles having the MINI press releases rehashed in pretty much the same language with the standard MINI issued images the same info 2-3 months later is just page filler. Why not delve deeper into the subject matter and get the story behind the story. We've all seen the press release info already. Tell me more about that I can't get online.

3. Event coverage - Give more than 1/2 to a single page about the events the clubs are putting on. Find some good writers and reward them for covering events. I've seen a lot of writers come and go in the magazine. Many were introduced with much fanfare only to be dropped 2-3 issues later. Unless one goes and visits many club sites on a regular basis one doesn't know much about what the clubs are doing. Why not coalesce these into more focused coverage of the clubs

4. Clubs part 2 - The magazines website, oy. Lets start with the clubs page. There are not many listed. Some are listed twice. they are not listed in any order, nor are they searchable. The page design is just flat out poor, which just adds to the misery of dealing with MC2. At the top of the page they say to be added contact them using the instructions at the bottom of the page. Why not have that be a text be a link to a form to submit a club. Then when you scroll to the bottom the instructions are not there. They are hidden in the bottom of a clubs profile. They say to use the ask the editor contact button. Again no link, why not link to that button. Oh and there is no button on that page. Now I have to go seek out that button. Why make it so hard.

I could go on and on and on and on.

Oh, and gomotoring, really Barry, that's down right embarrassing. How many years will the site be coming the week of Dec 12 has it been now. 2? 3? I've lost track.

9. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I like your ideas. They should just skip the news because now it's history. The club coverage is a great idea.

10. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I personally would like to see more about the cars that we already have. Sure I want to hear about what is coming out each year but do more features on readers cars, and get more into the dretails on said car. Tells us what brand wheels they have along with size of wheel and tire combo, Are they on lowering springs, which ones, how much drop, camber plates? what settings, different brake combo what where why, kinda stuff. Help the reader decide what they may or may not want to do to their car... Do more "How To" stuff.. and yes cover the clubs more since we are the ones buying the mag to start with. Joe Smo MINI owner isn't reading any way even if it is in their local book store..

11. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I couldn't agree more. While Barry is a decent enough guy to talk to (and he really does care about the MINI/Mini community, I believe) he has way too much on his plate. I understand the cost constraints of running a business, but ya gotta spend money to make money, as the old saying goes. (And I really hated spending $75K for a new spray booth) But it has to be done. Divide an conquer.

Any magazine that has a news/current affairs section is wasted space. Like Nathan said, anything in print is history at best. I'd like to see more on our cars. Who modded what and how. Why did they pick their wheels or intake or tune, etc.

I too gave up on the website. It really needs a refresh or an update or at least some attention. It doesn't build any real enthusiasm for the magazine honestly.

Hopefully Barry will read this and take some criticism to heart. I'd love to see MC2 be awesome. Maybe one day.

12. Spiderwolf

Spiderwolf New Member

May 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #172 Spiderwolf, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    Is that true? I had heard they went out of business but had no idea they moved to another company. I bought the Palo Uber rear wing and front scoop from them 5 years ago. Its a great rear wing and to this day I have never seen either one on another MINI. I get tons of compliments on both of them, more so on the wing though, with people asking where I got it and where they can get one.

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    It's not true, was said with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

14. Spiderwolf

Spiderwolf New Member

May 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok. Thanks for clarifying.:crazy: