2nd Gen R56 Cooper S MCS 08 Timing Chain

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by lbarlroad, Oct 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. lbarlroad

lbarlroad New Member

May 23, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looking at a 08 MCS For Sale that service records show the timing chain and tensioner were replaced due to a 'stretched' chain. This seems highly unusual to me. Ran a 76 BMW 2002 with timing chair for more than 200K miles that never stretched! Is this something common with the MINI?http://cdn.motoringalliance.netdna-cdn.com/images/smilies/ihih.gif

Appreciate feedback, Thanks.

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  3. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    If it has been replaced then that is a good thing. The new one should complete the 200K for you. It is not necissarily that the chain got longer, but the tensioner system had a faulty part. If left to long it could damage the slides, and other components. They usually just replace it all while they are in there.

4. iautox

iautox New Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Still a problem

I have an 07 MCS. The timing chain tensioner totally failed at 20,000 miles. Not too long after it would do it's death rattle intermittently. I complained about it for 3 years at each service and even brought it in just for the death rattle. I left it once for several days. The dealer could never 'replicate' the noise. That is until just a couple weeks ago when they did hear it after it is conveniently out of warranty. Mini is covering some of the repair. I have less than 70,000 miles on the car now. Therefore the first one lasted 20,000 and the second made it almost 50,000. So even two tensioner/chains won't make it to 200,000! Mini won't admit this is a problem and as far as I can tell it not fixed on 2012s either. This is NOT a car that should be owned out of warranty. I failed tensioner/chain can and has taken out engines on these cars. The tensioner/chain replacement costs $1,550 and a new engine costs $8,000. There are lots of reports on various forums where owners have had multiple tensioner/chain replacements. This is a crime.