2nd Gen R59 Roadster Most liked posts in thread: Metal bumper frame bent - what to do now?

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Do it yourself..... You'll know your MINI better as a result and save some coin at the same time.... It's really not that difficult to replace.....

Besides.... It's a good reason to justify buying a Bentley repair manual....

Just do it.....:D

2. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    The method David.0 is describing....

[​IMG]

3. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    #24 TG., May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014

Blah ha haaaaa . . . that's too much.
    After watching this it's funny how I can imagine all sort of ways Dave's scenario would end up wrong . . . both coming to a dead stop and the driver getting completely knocked out, The tree falling on the car, a bunch of fruit crashing down at once, etc... This could make for a fun short series :lol:

4. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I'll keep it in mind :wink:

That's alright. Thanks for the attempt. it's much appreciated :cornut:

5. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    That's just the job - between RealOEM and eMINIparts you can build a whole Mini from spares.....

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    That was the "How to improve the front bumper" video for the F56. :rolleyes: :p:lol:

7. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I feel I shouldn't be liking this :arf: :D

8. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    YES....:D

9. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    ^^^ 22 Nm (16 ft-lb).......:D

10. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Doesn't sound like much :eek6: :crazy: . . . I was surprise too when I remove the rear one to install a hitch receiver...
    I'll probably be tempted to add a little none permanent loctite for fasteners.

Is that for all of them?
    thx btw :Thumbsup:

11. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    thank you so very much sir! :cornut:

12. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    The parts arrived today. It looks like I get my Saturday or Friday evening booked for me . . .

They are surprisingly light!
    MINIcrashbumperreplacement1_zpsfce7024f.jpg

13. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    That section isn't even on the earlier year MINI's..... That lower bumper reinforcement #2 was added probably for added impact resistance... It's about a $300 part if you get new.... Not that big a deal to remove the bumper.... I can do it now in about an hour.... As you can see it's missing on #1

It just boils down as to whether it bothers you and if you want to spend $300.00.....

Check out the condition of both #5's as these are designed to collapse on impact..... depending on how hard the hit was...

[​IMG]

14. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    This is quite helpful but where did you find the schematic so I can get part numbers?

Where's the #5 located? Is that a member (that holds some of the bumper frame and is between the car chassis and the bumper?
    I think I may have checked that section and it didn't seem damaged as far as I could tell.

It's not very clear as to what is welded from what's bolted. it does seem that #2 is one whole welded piece.

15. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Real OEM Here..... RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog

Parts can be obtained from many of our good Forum vendors....

It's all welded up as a single unit... If you look closely you will see bolt holes.... Go to #1... Same part without the curved bottom bar... and you will see the fastener #'s 6,7,& 8, which are called out on the side of the picture...

"Where's the #5 located? Is that a member (that holds some of the bumper frame and is between the car chassis and the bumper?" YES

16. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    thx!

So weird It's the first place I looked on and couldn't find it in the list. It's probably located in a different section from the other body part section for what ever reason... or I din't realize there are multiple pages which I don't think there is. I look again :Thumbsup:

Would you know of a thread for the whole front bumper removal by any chance (all the plastic parts to get to the frame?

17. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    hA! found it. It's under the trim section rather than the bodywork. Not obvious :wink:

18. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    If you plug your VIN in the Realoem it will list the parts specific to your mini. Then save it to your bookmarks.... Then whenever you open Realoem, it will take you to your items...:D

Another trick... You can punch in the part number and it will list where that part is used on other vehicles.... Many times it's also used on a BMW.... So if a BMW parts department is more convenient to you than a long drive to a MINI dealership.... You win...:D

19. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    putting it in the book mark is a great idea so I don't have to always look for the VIN#. Thanks! :Thumbsup:

My MINI dealer is literally accross the street from the BMW so it won't help much :biggrin5: but good thinking.

20. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    Isn't that a split weld?

[​IMG]

I think that would persuade me it was worth replacing something that can't otherwise be seen.

Here in Britain there are several dealers that have an online parts pricing facility on their websites - copy the part number from RealOEM and get an instant price. I regularly use one from a dealer at the other end of the country as it tells me what full retail price is at most dealers - I know mine will offer a discount on larger items if I ask, but it's very useful to know which ballpark the parts guy will be starting from.

Attached Files: