MetroplexMINI Waco Run

Discussion in 'Roadkill and other Musings' started by Nathan, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Every year just after Christmas Metroplex MINI members gather for an unoffical event where we drive the scenic route from Dallas to Waco for lunch. We often meet with other Texas based MINI Clubs at various point or at the destination.

The even was started by a member named Uncle John and has been passed on to agranger. This year again was a superb event, well planned and well organized. All that went only had good things to say.

All told we had 54 MINI's and at least 2 counterfeit.

Some other media of the event has been showing up.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGgxE75QOGo[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDZZqLOya3o[/ame]

I know you don't see my MINI much if at all as I lead the 2nd group that is a bit more spirited in our driving and we don't stop for photo ops.

The best news is I ripped nothing off the car this year so all the duct tape, bailing wire and bungee cords were able to stay safely stowed for the entire journey.

Thanks to agranger for a hella good time. I'd be remiss if I didn't thank my impromptu navigator that allowed me to focus more on being spirited than having to worry about where the next little road was.

2. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Whats a "counterfeit" MINI? :popcorn:

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZRxl1CDw8[/ame]

4. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    MINI ran a counterfeit ad campaign a few years ago... Some other car pretending to be a MINI. In our club runs, a counterfeit is a non-MINI on a MINI run: usually ex-MINI owners who sold their cars but are still friends of the MINI community.

We frequently threaten to MINIfy their rides for the run with painter's tape bonnet stripes, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Nate,

That video was hilareous!!!

AGranger, that's a great threat :Thumbsup:

6. MightyStripes

MightyStripes New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Oct 29, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks like fun :) Wish we were in nice warm Tx :idea:

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Um...it ain't so warm here. While not in the teens or single digits today there forecast is for us here in North TX to go for a ~60 hours at below freezing. Last time that happened round these parts was 1996.

8. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    We did get lucky for this drive, however. It supposedly hit the low 50s in the afternoon and I drove most of the way with the windows down and the sunroof open (seat heaters on and heat on high as well).

9. Todd Wilson

Todd Wilson New Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was a great time!!! Thanks to Aaron for the planning and Nathan for leading the Spirited Group!!! This is an event I won't miss!!!

10. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    #10 Rixter, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
    Boo-hoo, cry me a river :cryin: I'll bet you've never had to shovel snow and you certainly don't need to contend with road salt or gravel being sprayed on the road for traction. On the flip side, we dont need to fight with cockroaches the size of elephants :D

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'm not a native Texan and lived in the Mid-Atlantic region for 40some years. I know from snow, salt, ice and cinders.

A cold snap is forecast here for the next few days and since it is unusual people are freaking out. I went shopping in flip flops shorts and Tee shirt..tis mid 40's today...the stares I got.

12. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    People probably thot "typical MINI owner..." :eek:ut:

13. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    Nathan, thankyou for leading the 'spirited' group. I'm still trying to remember the last time that I had that much fun. I remember asking,"Nathan just follow you ,right?" Nathan just rolled his eyes and said "yeah.":rolleyes:We took off and I never saw Nathan again until Waco,however; I was on SK8BOARD like a diaper on a babies butt. Well not exactly true. SK8BOARD is a much better driver than I am but in a much less powerful car so;he left me in the curves and turns and I was left to catch him in the straightaways. WE HAD FUN!!!! THANKYOU AARON and NATHAN :smilewinkgrin: Jason