Miata to Mini

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by 7thSon, Nov 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. 7thSon

7thSon New Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm a "driving enthusiast", and have never really cared so much about brands, just the driving experience. I was a long time autocrosser, hillclimber, and roadracer in various cars of varying degrees of "purposefulness", from hand-built hillclimb specials to showroom stock Volkswagens. I've pretty much quit racing, and just enjoy motoring through the twisties.

When my daughter turned 16, I bought her a first generation Miata, which she promptly totaled :( I found a deal on what amounted to a rolling chassis and put all the parts from the wrecked car into the "new" car. It turned out she was shy about getting into another Miata, so I kept the car and didn't take long to get into the Miata scene. I've had a great time, and I still love that car.

With my daughter finishing college within a month, I finally feel comfortable spending the necessary time and cash tearing the Miata down and making vast improvements (it's already moved quite a ways from stock).

Feeling like I need another fun toy/daily driver, I started thinking about potential cars. I was very close to buying another (newer) Miata, but figured why have two completely impractical cars? (Yes, to a Miata guy, a Mini is practical). After looking at all my options, I decided the Mini is the perfect option for me.

I've not yet purchased a car. I thought it would be wise to start researching on the boards before I purchased something I shouldn't. So, here I am.

As I mentioned, I'm a driving enthusiast. I go to events where driving is the priority. I'm not much of a "show" guy. I really enjoy events at Deals Gap, and in the other mountain areas. My two favorite events being Miatas in Boone (Boone, NC) and ZDayz at Deals Gap. I hope there are similar events for the Mini.

I already decided that I'm not in the market for an "S". I will focus on handling first, then start worrying about making a little more power as I find need. So, I'm here to learn. Thanks in advance!

Brad
    Lenoir, NC

[​IMG]

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

You'll find lots of MINI events. MINIs on the Dragon 11 is 2 weeks before ZdayZ 2013.

3. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Buy an "S" and motor harder faster right out of the box...

Enjoy the search, lots of ways to go, have fun

Oh, howdy:cornut:

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I'm not sure how much you know about the Mini so if I'm covering something you already know sorry.
    I would get a S. Depending on the year it will have a supercharger or a turbo. You can not buy a Cooper and later make it a S.
    Before I bought my S I almost settled for a Cooper, I am so glad I didn't. The 2002-2006 hard tops are R53's and have superchargers, mine is a 02.
    I believe the R53 lend themselves to modding better than the R56 (turbo). There is a thread on supercharger vs turbo here on MA. I suggest you read it also. I was a mechanic back in the 80's during the first turbo age. I Hate turbos, but that is me. I wont bore with the reasons.The R56 (turbo cars) have there good points. Read the thread and see what you thank.
    The cooper is a great car and a lot of fun but judging from your background you will be much happier with a S.
    This is a great place to ask questions and everyone is helpful. I hope a Cooper guy will jump in and give there opinion.
    Good luck
    P.S. We have a event called MINI's on the Dragon. If you don't have a MINI by May first just bring the Miata and have some fun with us.

5. 7thSon

7thSon New Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the immediate welcomes and help!

You already have me rethinking my choice. I'm not really looking for anything to autocross or track, just a DD that I can still have fun in. Having raced and played with mostly 4 cylinder cars with less than 150hp, That's the way I was thinking. I really loved my 70's and '80s Rabbits and Golf GTI's back in the day. My Miata runs a nearly stock 1.6, and just dyno'd at 85whp (soon to be 140, naturally aspirated). I had based my choice on these things, and my straight, boring, 35 mile two-lane daily commute.

I will certainly check out Minis at the Gap. Sounds like a big event. I'm sure I'll be poking around for some smaller events to check out, too. I just saw some sort of post about a Fall event at Fontana, too? I'd love to find some folks in the NW North Carolina area (Boone/Blowing Rock) who like to drive, also.

What threads on here should I pay particular attention to when making my buying decisions? I don't want to be asking questions you've already answered a hundred times before.

Thanks,
    Brad

6. ljmattox

ljmattox Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    IT consultant
    St Louis metro USA
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Welcome!

I just "retired" my long-serving NA Miata (a 1996 M Edition) and purchased my MINI Cooper S earlier this year. As you're seeing, you'll find much of the same sense of community (if not more so), a love of twisty roads, folks who enjoy one another's company.

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to M/A :)

I love my Miata & love my MINI. This is a great MINI site, I also split my time over at Miata.net. You will find folks here are very helpful.

Nothing wrong with a Cooper Brad. They can be made to handle very well. I have an S, but my next MINI may be a Cooper.

8. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Welcome to MA. Good luck in your search.:Thumbsup:

Jason

9. Tackleberry

Tackleberry New Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Federal Security Officer
    Pensacola, FL
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Brad,

One advantage with a turbocharged S model (R56) is that you get 181hp right off the bat. Driving the S is a wonderful experience. I have had mine since April 2012 and I absolutely love it. I have spent the past several months modifying it to suit my special taste.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This week, I will be ordering a new Akrapovic stainless downpipe for it. Next will be the Accessport.

10. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the Alliance, there are many MINI events to choose from, I personally like MOTD the first weekend in May.
    S vs Cooper I have had both, they handle equally well but the S wins hands down for the extra HP. It sure increases the fun factor 5 fold..

11. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to MA! Drive all the models, if you can. First generation Cooper and "S", then the second gen Cooper and "S". If you were ok with 85 hp, even the Cooper is a major hp jump. We own both generation "S" models. I personally would go with a 1st gen "S". In looking at your pic of your Miata, think the 1st gen would be closer of a feeling you are comfortable with? We have actually kicked around selling her 09 S and get a newer, used Miata :Thumbsup: Good luck on your search.

12. cooperSml

cooperSml New Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Engineer
    Living on South
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I got carried away from topic, but I had to say NICE CAR :cornut: it does look awesome.

13. cooperSml

cooperSml New Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Engineer
    Living on South
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Brad if I was you I would pick one S. Then your boring DD commute will transform from B -> A exactly like a report card. It will go from Boring to Awesome. You are going to get addicted to this sound. The Mini is fun to drive but it will not provide this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_jniIzrPms]Super Charger Sound - Mini Cooper S R53 - YouTube[/ame]

Those are like decisions you take based I am not going to and price has a factor. One should I have to my house with 3 PCs one wireless router 801.11b or 801.11g (b=11mpbs g=54mbps) but the 'g' is backward compatible it will work with devices 'b', you can do your regular work but allows you to stream video such as Netflix service or youtube.

The comparison is just like the S, It can provide you more power and speed but it is backward compatible with the Mini, can let you do your DD commute, go to supermarket shopping, take the kids to school, take the wife or girlfriend to a spin. But can put you in fire as well.

But for some reason the S makes feel like this:
    - I want go work
    - Then I want to go home
    (It is like P90X program it does put a confusion in your head)
    - I want do the groceries all the time (wait a minute, what is wrong here?)
    - Groceries not in the store around the corner of my house, but in the next town

I drove a MX5 Miata at Sebring is a fun car it does handle similar to the Mini S I felt a little bit more tendency of fish tail on the Miata. The Mini gives a feeling of total control.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8iCIoXFOFg]Dad crash or Leo was wrong? - YouTube[/ame]

But then if you change your mind you have a car ready for this. But I was thinking to big here.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9iCMhbulJQ]Mini Cooper S - TrackDay Formula Car in The mirror - YouTube[/ame]

14. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to m/a

15. hwy84

hwy84 New Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    recovering NA (1995) owner...

Just two cents from a former NA owner that fits your driving demographic to a "T..."

I LOVE my S. Yes the power is nice (though very reasonable), but moreover, the ability to use the torque to weight transfer from front to back, and then lift to reverse the weight, is what makes the S a more sporting proposition to me. Add a bigger rear bar, and you'll be able to recapture some of the off-throttle rotation from the miata... But more like a Rabbit, of course.

(I still kick myself for never having picked up a GTI. My dad had a rabbit truck he used to toss around pretty well... But that's not quite the same!)

You'll be happy no matter what, but I vote S. :)

16. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Welcome! And another vote for a S!:Thumbsup:

17. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009