Most liked posts in thread: Michael Moore, etc, and "American Sniper".

1. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

2. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    There are two things going on here, and they're totally separate. Micheal Moore is pushing an agenda. The abuse he is reaping is fully deserved. The sad part is I think he likes the attention. Ungrateful is too kind for him. Hell, even Whoopi Goldberg praises Kyle and American sniper. Not Rosie though...

Seth Rogen is a bit different. His grandfather served, and he's gone on record as saying he has the utmost respect for the military and those who serve. He made an unfortunate statement, but I get what he was trying to say--it just didn't come out right, and he should have thought it through before he went there. In the context of the movie, which didn't attempt to glamorize war or the military, personally that comment didn't register with me at all, more along the lines of misguided than unpatriotic.

Don't group the two together, or you're falling prey to the same type of crap Moore pulls...

Dick, you hit on a good point--SEAL and sniper training is absolutely brutal (I have heard many a story from an ex-seal friend of mine, who also was a sniper.). It's one of the criticisms of the movie; they show some of the physical and mental exercises involved, but it the difficulty of the training really is minimized, probably the biggest problem with the movie. "Lone Survivor" gives an excellent overview of the training of SEALs (but as he wasn't a sniper, that part isn't addressed). I haven't read "American Sniper" yet, but after having seen the movie, it's next on the list, I'm hoping there is more info on sniper training in the book.

I was pleasantly surprised by the movie. Well acted, and it touches on what most people I've talked to in the military relay (although those of us who haven't served can't completely understand)--that when it hits the fan, they're fighting for the guy next to them. It wove in soldiers fears, doubts, and concerns, and how all these affect them during and after. Despite the occasional Moore's spouting off out there, this movie will go a long way toward helping understanding of what we ask these brave young people, in the prime of their life, to do on our behalf.

3. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    I am going to have to wait until I can watch the movie at home. :( (A couple movies have caused me to go into a very violent black out, so I need to watch what war movies I watch these days. Lone Survivor was one of them, I had to turn it off about half way through.)

Sniper school is no joke! 3 MONTHS non stop, and the actual shooting part is just a small section of what is covered. I wanted to do the full course so bad after doing Pre-Ranger at Ft. Campbell... Farthest I ever got was going to Pre-Sniper at Ft. Benning. Passed both courses, but planned on getting out, so battalion wouldn't get me slotted into the real schools. :(

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    No words can describe my feelings for those who have chosen to be so ungrateful.

Very, very sad...

6. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Makes me wonder WHY anybody elevates the ramblings of a celiberity....
    Actors are just trained to lie...
    No real skills at life, they act out OTHER PEOPLES lines and actions...
    Heck, one view of a typical reality TV show of an actors life shows most are not rocket scientists of any type...
    Yet the media elevates these complete idiots to new heights...
    Look at the harm many celiberties have caused with their causes that are later debunked...the jenny McCarthy anti immunization stuff...debunked, and now we have measel out breaks....folks believe, and it lives on..maybe folks believe it cause the person "played a genius on TV"....

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I pay little attention to such weasels. I figure if I do pay attention it gives them what they want & that is the last thing I want to do. Igonre that ignoramus.

RIP Chris Kyle

8. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    That's why they are called "HollyWeird"! Talk about biting the hands that give us our freedoms....:mad5::incazzato:

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Micheal Moore hand EVERY other Hollywood celebrities should STFU and support the movie about an American Hero.

This includes the toolbag Seth Rogan from the "Interview". We supported him and his crap movie behind free speach.

If they don't like it they can sign up and go to the dessert to see what they would do.

10. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    There are similarities in the realism, but in the end "American Sniper' is significantly different from "Saving Private Ryan", a completely different feel to it. IMHO a major reason the vibe is different is that all the soldiers in "Saving Private Ryan" were drafted, those in "American Sniper" were volunteers--those very people who volunteer so we don't have to have a draft (for example, few, if any, of the soldiers in "Private Ryan" would have voluntarily gone back for another tour, unlike "American Sniper").

"Saving Private Ryan" is more Hollywood (but in the best sense of what Hollywood can do, I don't mean this as a negative); "American Sniper" deals with the real life issues outside of the war--relationships with family and people in general, PTSD, the cost of the war individually due to injury, etc. It takes on much more than "Saving Private Ryan". I love both movies, but in different ways.

11. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I have not seen that movie yet, but some friends did and told us that, although the theater was packed with young and old, you could hear a pin drop as the movie ended.

12. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1

Absolutely....when it was over the whole theatre was silent and as we walked out no one said a word. Great movie!

13. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Michael Moore needs to be fragged.

14. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I went to see Platoon with a buddy when it came out. He was a Vietnam vet. He was not himself for a few days afterward.

15. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    Same as when I saw it, that ending put a huge lump in my throat.

16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I went and saw the movie, it was incredible! I could not belive how quiet it was but I could not talk ether.
    I am sick of the Miceal Moors of the world. Are that so stupid that they don't understand that groups like ISIS would kill him first? i am not going to rant about him. It's not worth my time.
    Today I am going to the range to practis for some shooting I have to do soon. I may take one of my rifles I suck at long distance shooting,to bad your not closer MODFATHER I could use the coaching.
    For those that served, thank you and for those that the nightmares have followed you home you have my payers!
    If you have not read On sheep wolves and sheepdogs please go read this link. It says it all.
    On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs

17. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0

Its a common symptom of some level of PTSD, and it SUCKS!

18. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    In todays Wall Street Journal is a opinion piece by a retired Seal and author Rorke Denver. He was with Chris Kyle in Iraq. "The United States of "American Sniper"" He defines this subject in a concise clear manor, as only a Seal could.

19. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I have not seen the movie yet. But I have to think how is the idea of it different than Saving Private Ryan? That movie got all kinds of praise from hollyweird. Is it that they still have their agenda with this war?

20. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    Well said.